Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What ring (fnar) for gravel / adventure bike?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I currently have a massive ring (ooer) of I think 44t paired with an 11-36 cassette on mine as I live in the flatlands of Hull and when I do get out onto the Wolds the hills are either short or slack enough that I can get up them no problem with that combo, even in my unfit state. In summer I’m off up to the Trossachs (see separate thread) and planning on taking the bike. I feel like I’m going to not really enjoy it with this gearing.

So – I can stick the 32t chainset from my mtb on (my favourite option, as it’s free, apart from possibly needing some chain faff) or I can pick up something inbetween.

What would you / do you use on a gravel bike for similar riding?

scruff9252

If only there had been a technology invented that allowed you to have multiple rings up front to allow change of gear ratio’s. You could have a 44t ring for flats, a 32t ring for moderate climbs and even a 22t for when it get’s really steep…

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah you could, but since I don’t have a triple chainset, or mech, or shifter, or possibly cable run (I haven’t checked) it seems a little excessive just for one trip when a single is perfectly adequate for the rest of my riding.

willard

I was thinking about putting on a 36 or a 38 for town cycling with a roughly equivalent rear cassette, but I guess a 32 or 34 might be better for hills.

scotroutes

TBH asking anyone else’s opinion on gear ratios is pretty much pointless as they’ve no idea how fit you are, whether you’re a spinner or a masher, or what sort of tracks you normally ride.

Is there any way you could fit a second ring onto your chainset, even if that meant having to move it across by hand when necessary?

bikebouy
    Free Member

If it will go down to 34 then do that.

My inners 34 and fine for steep climbs on gravel or loose single track…

Obvz scotroutes points out the obvz.. but 34 should be fine.

flyingmonkeycorps

Nope, all my chainsets now are single ringers. I think I might just stick the 32 on and go slowly and enjoy the views a bit more.

(Not terribly fit, mostly spinner with occasional mashes, Moors / Peak / Lake District on the MTB and the flatlands of Hull on the gravel bike usually).

scotroutes

And don’t follow my advice. I’m still running a triple FFS

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2g85wsT]DSC_0383[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

flyingmonkeycorps

FWIW if I rode the gravel bike regularly further afield I probably would have gone for a double / triple, but it was bought mainly for a very flat commute so the fact is has any gears is a bonus really.

joemmo
    Free Member

I’ve found that a 40T paired with an 11-40 cassette covers pretty much everything I’d want to ride without a significant load. The 40/11 is good for pedalling up to about 30mph, after that just tuck and freewheel, 40/40 is a decent winching gear.

The next cheapest option after fitting your MTB chainset (possible sub-optimal chain line) would be a smaller ring. I’d say a 36 would be the best compromise so you have a 1:1 bottom gear but something you can pedal into the 20s as well. You may have to shorten the chain though

ta11pau1

Mine has a 42t chainring and 11-42t cassette, that pretty much covers everything even though the gaps are quite large for when you’re on the road.

swavis

Very similar to the above I’m running a 40t chainring and 11-42t cassette on my Camino, and find it to be spot on around here in the windfarm central of Moray.

cheers_drive

I live in the flatlands and Ron 38t up front and 11-28t for local gravel. I fitted a 11-40 a few weeks back in prep for Yorkshire True Grit, I’m pretty unfit at the moment but can’t imagine I’ll need an easier gear than that.
    I considered using my 30t MTB chainset but I’d spin out at 18mph.
    For your situation I’d use a 36t or 38t ring

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What ring (fnar) for gravel / adventure bike?’ is closed to new replies.