• This topic has 19 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What reliable, economical, fixable car…
  • Joe

Looking for a super economical petrol car for sports use – moving bikes around, shoving shit on a roof rack and absolutely no interest in how it looks, how it sounds or any of that. The less electrics and tricks the better, but also interested in fuel economy. Would prefer an automatic as have a dodgy leg. No keyless or anything stupid like that.

Could spend unto £6/7000 – or could spend as little as £3000…I suppose it depends what makes financial sense.

My first thought was to do something like a Toyota Corolla…I’ll be doing probably 2000 miles a year.

Does anyone have any advice?

thols2

Does anyone have any advice?

Toyota Corolla is always a safe choice.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Something Japanese like you say. Toyota Avensis estate, Honda Civic Estate.

devash
    Free Member

Anything Toyota for sure.

EDIT: just re-read your post. A V6 Lexus SUV is definitely not an “economical” car. :=D

Kuco

I had a Ford Focus for 8 years and other than regular servicing and usual wear and tear the only thing that ever went wrong with it was the coil pack once.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia with pd Diesel engine or petrol?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TBH at 2000 miles the difference between the most frugal diesel and the thirstiest petrols will be £100 or so. It really won’t be worth paying the premium for a diesel. That’s 3 tanks of fuel, 4 if it’s a small petrol tank.

Reliability, again I don’t think that’ll be an issue in any modern car. If something goes wrong in 10 years doing that few miles you’re unlucky.

Given your criteria I’d look at cars that have already done 150,000-200,000 miles. And only spend the minimum you need to (say upto £1500 for something from a posh brand, or £600 for a Ford Focus). No point buying a low milage car and losing value on it doing nothing. May as well just buy something that might last 10 years, or might not, and keep the other £6k just in case.

If you still want to spend all that money, get a Berlingo.

If you don’t want to spend all that money, get a Berlingo for £600. The 2.0 HDi has all the refinements of a tractor but fits your criteria of being repairable. The 1.6 HDi is more modern, but more temperamental. But Id still suggest you’d be unlucky to ever break it at that mileage. Petrol versions are less popular, even cheaper, and pretty much bulletproof.

damascus
    Free Member

Looking for a super economical petrol car for sports use – moving bikes around, shoving shit on a roof rack and absolutely no interest in how it looks, how it sounds or any of that. The less electrics and tricks the better,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/skoda-roomster-1-6-automatic-low-mileage-2008-alloys-service-history-new-tyres-/353568987439?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

The roomster is ugly but quite large, ticks a lot of boxes. Plenty of them out there.

kilo

Exactly what we bought our roomster for, at present it only has one rear seat left in it and I may dispense with that as it is just going to be a bike lugger. A positive is that I actually quite like driving it. 1.6 auto, was about 3k with a full Skoda service history and low mileage.
    For some reason despite being an old duffers car it comes with a tiptronic box

slackboy

Toyota Yaris has/had a neat trick  – the rear bench folded up , which meant you could like a bike in across the back seats. Might not work with with XL or LLS bikes – but worth a look.

Daffy

Is it going to be doing a few long range journeys (>200miles) or mostly shorter range (<100 miles)? If the latter, get a Nissan Leaf. Once you’ve bought it, it will literally cost you almost nothing to run it. No tax, no fuel, almost no servicing, cheap insurance and less to go wrong.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why the emphasis on super low fuel economy if you’re doing really low mileage?

ctk
    Free Member

Skoda Roomster or Fabia estate? You really don’t need to spend £7k. £4k will be plenty.

I just bought a nice low mileage vw Touran for £2k.

bigrich

Capri 2.8i

highlandman
    Free Member

Fabia Estate, 1.2 TSi. Get a base model, as they have the least gizmos to go wrong. Simple, reliable and spacious enough for two bikes.
    The 1.2 petrol turbo engine is fine, built in Czech and more reliable than the Spanish 1.4.
    Mrs has one; it’s slightly taller and has a higher roof line than my Superb. There are a decent amount of things on it that can be fairly readily fixed at home too, if need be. Filters, bulbs, discs are all easily done at home. Drum brakes on the rear are ideal on a low annual mileage car, as a car with rear discs will corrode them yearly to the point that you have to replace pads & discs at MOT time again and again. Drums will go on for ever and work perfectly well.

matt_outandabout

+1 on Fabia or Ibiza estate.

Our 2012 Ibiza estate (“ST” in Seat speak) is nearly at 100k. It’s 1.4 16v, so no turbo, no fancy pants anything. Parts are OK to cheap.

So far it’s cost servicing and wear parts such as brakes. It’s just worn out rear shocks. The middle of exhaust was welded as it was rusting by catalytic.

It’s not the fastest thing. But it regularly lumps a bike or two around in back or on roof. It’s comfy and just works.

Cost us £7k in 2015, still worth around £2.5-3k.

itlab
    Free Member

As the others have said If you want something super reliable then get something Japanese

In a vote for recommend what you have My vote is for a Mazda either a 2,3 or 6 depending on your size preference

Naturally aspirated petrol engines are simple (no worry’s about turbos and all the extra pipe work or DPFs)
    Timing chains rather than timing belts
    Japanese build quality
    Normally good value second hand

I’ve done 30000 over the last 6 years in a mazda2 that cost me £4200 and all needed has been MOTs and service/oil change .

For the mileage you do get a larger petrol. The cost of the extra fuel will be tiny for the mileage your doing but will make big trips with bikes on the roof easier

if you want a car that can be run on a shoestring budget have a look at what the local takeaway drivers are running. Chances are they are running Toyota Yaris for the same reasons I’ve outlined above

dirtyboy

Honda civic 1.8 with magic seats in the rear

finephilly
    Free Member

I had a Toyota Yaris 1.0. Performance was poor but you can just about sleep in it! (6ft tall). Get the VVTi engine, it’s much better. Cheap and easy to repair, if required.

Corolla would be more roomy but a bit more costly to run.
    Also, get low mileage as you can and full service history.

fossy

Corrola is either rather old or very new. It’s the Auris you are looking at. Also in the top of the price range is a Nissan Pulsar. Older Qashqai – very reliable.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What reliable, economical, fixable car…’ is closed to new replies.