Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What rear tyre?
  • meatsupreme
    Free Member

I keep burping my Hans Dampf and it’s looking a bit worn so thought I might try something else, what’s good? Do I need more sidewall support? Mine are the lightweight snakeskin type.

The rims are DT Swiss FR560 35mm 27.5. I’ve always gone Magic Mary at the front and happy with those but would be a bit draggy at the back.

Terrain is FoD so steep mud and roots

jimmy748

Big Betty.

binman

Maxxis Dissector exo +

ta11pau1

Big Betty.

This. A Big Betty/Magic Mary will be my next combo of tyres, heard nothing but good things.

Northwind

DHR2 in exo+ or doubledown is my default- ideally in dual but you can’t get that in all sizes and carcasses so it might have to be maxxterra. Brilliant tyres, the exo+ is usefully tougher than snakeskin, the doubledown is quite a bit tougher.

Having said that I do want to try a big betty, but the maxxis carcasses are better just now imo

meatsupreme
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, clearance is a little tight with my current Hans Dampf 2.35 so a Big Betty at 2.4 might not work, I guess it’s because I have a fairly wide rim. From previous experience Maxxis tend to be narrower than you might expect, should I risk a 2.4 or play it safe and get 2.3?

I would if I were you depending on your rider weight and feel of your bike assuming ht buy a 2.35″ HD in Super Trail Addix soft.

Stiggy

I was very impressed with the new Supertrail Nobby Nic on the back at the Ardrock. More grip than I was expecting, but rereading your original post it might be overwhelmed by ‘steep mud’ tbh.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Seconded for Maxxis DHR2 on the rear, in what ever flavour of carcass / compound suits your needs. Been my go to for years. Echo above comments of go for dual compound if on rear of a non-ebike as the found the max-terra 3C noticeably draggy. Never tried the exo+ carcass, but never had too many issues with normal exo. Deff double down if going on an e-bike though – they’re great, but far too heavy on a normal bike

militantmandy
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, clearance is a little tight with my current Hans Dampf 2.35 so a Big Betty at 2.4 might not work, I guess it’s because I have a fairly wide rim. From previous experience Maxxis tend to be narrower than you might expect, should I risk a 2.4 or play it safe and get 2.3?

For reference, my 2.4 Big Betty is 62mm on a 35mm rim. A superb tyre, maybe better than the DHR on which it is clearly modelled and much better on the scary stuff than a Hans Dampf. That’s not to say I don’t like the Hans Dampf though.

meatsupreme
    Free Member

Ok many thanks chaps have taken a punt on the DHR in 2.4 width, it’s wide trail so will hopefully work out ok!

appltn

Too late maybe but I’m really impressed so far with the Continental Kryptotal rear in endurance compound, trail casing.

Mine has had a few local rides and a 10 hour bone dry uplift session at BPW so far. It is hardly showing any signs of wear and handled the hard pack rocky trails without an issue (I managed to whack the back wheel hard enough to snap a spoke and it still didn’t pinch flat). I can’t tell you how it’ll be in wetter conditions but the tread pattern looks good so fingers crossed on that.

sharkattack

While we’re on the subject, I wanted to order some Exo+ tyres but can only find them in 2.6.

Do they come up really big compared to a 2.4? Wondering how tight they’ll be in a Lyrik Ultimate.

momo

I’ll second the recommendation for the Conti Kryptotal, I’m using the enduro casing option in 29er flavour. Absolutely brilliant tyre, grippy and supportive but has some magic going on to make it pretty fast rolling too!

militantmandy
    Free Member

Do they come up really big compared to a 2.4? Wondering how tight they’ll be in a Lyrik Ultimate.

You’ll have absolutely miles of clearance. You could easily run a 2.8.

bearGrease

@momo @appltn know of anywhere with the 29er x 2.4″ Kryptotal Enduro in stock? Front or rear?

Crikey! That Conti looks like a v v well designed ramped and sensible spaced tyre.

Slight hijack, I know there’s probably little in it though 21mm inner width rims and 2.4″ Conti kryptotal mated with a 2.4″ Magic Mary up front.

Is this advisable to run 2.4″ tyres on 21mm inner width rims?

As have to considerframe clearance to on an old 135 mm rear end hardtail see.

I’m currently on mid gen (2018) Schwalbe HDs 2.35″ Evo trailstar versions which I guess are snakeskin :/
    Tia 🙂

jimmy748

@sharkattack these pictures are a new 2.6 Exo+ against a 2.4 Exo

sharkattack

@sharkattack this picture is a new 2.6 Exo+ against a 2.4 Exo

Thanks for that, I’m glad I asked!

deviant
    Free Member

Just binned a Hans Dampf in favour of a Maxxis Dissector on the back of my bike – still a fast rolling tyre but with more grip, the Hans Dampf was useless in the wet.

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve ridden 2.5 Minions on a 19mm width wheel with no problems.

joebristol

While we’re on the subject, I wanted to order some Exo+ tyres but can only find them in 2.6.

As long as it’s a boost Lyrik you’ll be fine. The 2.6” Maxxis tyres I’ve got aren’t much wider than 2.4” – they’re mostly a bit taller. I’ve got a 2.6” magic Mary which flies through a boost like ultimate on 30mm inner rims (27.5 wheel / fork) and a 2.6” Specialized Hillbilly on a 30mm rim (29er wheel / fork) which has acres of clearance. 2.5” DHF is a chunk smaller in both wheel sizes then the magic Mary / hillbilly.

oikeith

This. A Big Betty/Magic Mary will be my next combo of tyres, heard nothing but good things.

I run the MM and BB combo and its great, I used to run MM’s front and rear, found the MM great on the steeps and in winter, BB is as good as the MM but rolls much better. I’m tempted to try BB front and rear…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.