Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What? Petrol Chainsaw
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Moving into a new property with lots of fruit trees and bushes that will need cutting back (plan to hire a wood chipper to dispose of the branches etc).

Doesn’t need to be uber flash or expensive but capable and reliable. Any ideas? Will probs need some PPE too but I’m sure I can blag something.

gazc
    Free Member

i was looking at a few petrol chainsaws and in the end got an electric one from screwfix for £60 as i couldn’t justify the cost for just cutting up firewood. so far been excellent for chopping upto 12inch diameter logs. if you’re dead set on petrol stihl or husqvarna are the boys. i’d make sure you’ve got the helmet/visor/ear defenders and thick gloves as a minimum really, would not want to get on the wrong side of the saw when its going at all

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb355chn-40-5cm-2000w-electric-chainsaw-230v/92771

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you only ever plan to use it at your property, electric is the one to go for. Toolstation have a half decent bosch one for 80 quid. If you don’t need it after you’re done, a bosch will be fgar easier to sell than some own brand one like that above.

sandwicheater

Tempted by that electric titan from screwfix, cheers for the heads up gaz.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nobeer Did alot of research before buying mine, the bosch is utter tosh , the titans actually a better bit of kit, bought a makita inmthe end as its the electric chainsaw of choice with minimal plastic parts.

The whole bosch range has plastic chain tension pish built to be used once or twice and hidden in a shed.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

too much space to cover for an electric cable flapping around

smiffy

Will probs need some PPE too

This is why the A&Es are full…

Gunz
    Free Member

I got a McCulloch for about £100 and after inheriting a lot more wood for the fire than I initially predicted it’s chomped its way through the lot (about 5 ton in all). I’ll probably geta Stihl or something similar next as I’m a bit more flush but the McCulloch has done me proud.

highlandman
    Free Member

Husqvarna or Stihl and spend as much as you possibly can justify. My Husky is over 30 years old, has been subjected to heavy domestic use and is still in great shape. Easily serviced and always there when you need it. Find a local ‘Turf & Timber’ type business and get their advice.

colin9
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

smiffy – Member
    Will probs need some PPE too
    This is why the A&Es are full…

Are you suggesting A&E is full of people wearing protective equipment? I would hope they are. Grotty places full of bug ridden medical staff.

thepurist

Got a Husky 135 which is working for us doing coppicing etc. Its bad enough using it with all the PPE on, you’d be mental not to. Do arboriculture forums have debates about wearibg ppe like we do about helmets? No. Nuff said.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was better TR, just that it would sell better 2nd hand!. Cheers for the heads up though, got a mate looking for a leccy saw, I’ll point him in the direction of the Makita.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Had several chainsaws over the years…………most durable and reliable has been a Stihl MS181

PePPeR

Another MS181 fan here.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I don’t need a chainsaw for anything…..but I need that V8 one!

gingefella
    Free Member

My job was forestry for a long time and i still have ties to it.Husqvarna all the way.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Have you got quoted to have some one do it?

At least you won’t be choping your arm or leg off, and I bet it’s not much difference in cost once you have bought all the safety equipment.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I have a basic husqvarna and it is brilliant. I do think you are better buying quality than tat from b&q.

thepurist

Suggest buying a spare bar and chain too so if you do something daft and get it wedged you can just unbolt the bar, stick the spare on and cut the other one free.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What? Petrol Chainsaw’ is closed to new replies.