Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What Octalink BB?
  • chambord
    Free Member

Ey up,

My BB makes some horrible noises so I’m going to replace it. It’s the one that came on my bike (2011 Cindercone) and listed as “Shimano” so presumably fairly cheap.

Can anyone recommend one?

I’m looking here at the moment.

Also what tools do I need to fit a new one? I’ve got a crank puller but must need some kind of BB tool (Something like this?)

Cheers.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Tools – you’ve got it right. Crank puller to get the cranks off, the BB tool you’ve linked to (plus an adjustable spanner) to remove old BB and install the new one.

I’ve got the same BB as the one you’ve listed, it’s lasted ok so far. Just make sure you get the right shell width and axle width (i.e. check the old one).

steezysix
    Free Member

If you’ve not replaced a bottom bracket before, get some lithium grease along with the tool. Take the old bb out, clean as much gunk out of the bb shell as you can (especially the threads), then grease it up and take your time. Never force the new bb in – if there’s more than a tiny bit of resistance, back out the bb and check the threads again – you should be able to get it in nearly all the way by hand, just use the tool to tighten the last bit. Cross threading a bb shell is very costly, not to mention annoying!

chambord
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve got a tub of this stuff

Which doesn’t say anything about lithium on it. Will that be OK?

EDIT: Blimey that’s a big picture of some grease.

steezysix
    Free Member

Yeah, should be fine – it’s even got a picture of a bottom bracket on it!

GreenK
    Free Member

The ES51 BB you linked to will be absolutely fine. You will need to get the original off and check the sizing which is usually written on it.

The tool you have linked to is good too.

I have found this useful for stubborn bottom brackets linky as it holds the tool in place allowing you to heave hard without slipping.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If the bearings are still running smoothly, dont replace it just yet. Try just taking the cranks off and the BB out.
    Clean the shell and BB cup threads, grease them up and reinstall.
    Then clean the splines in the crank and axle, a bit of grease on them too and reassemble.
    You may find its just crap in the BB threads that cause the noise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What Octalink BB?’ is closed to new replies.