Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • what mtb tow rope for towing kids on a ride?
  • robw1
    Free Member

started taking the 7 year old out a bit more and he still struggles a bit on hills./ I was thinking about getting a towrope for him. The shotgun ones are £55. I have heard some people bodge theirs out of other things. What has anyone used that would be worth giving a go to?

VanHalen

2 innertubes linked together works for my ebike uplift tow rope.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I use a Trax, basically a kevlar retractable lead.

TRAX

Brilliant, I just leave it attached and hook it on and off as required.

a11y

Trax user here, we’ve got two of them. Chose it over others for the ease of usability – quick to deploy as required, and no need to carry/stash it in your backpack when not in use. Mini-a11y’s both quickly perfected being able to unhook themselves on the move when we reach flat/downhill bits.

danmac
    Free Member

I use a kinetic tow rope with woven loops as opposed to the big metal shanks. Was around £15 iirc on a euro car parts offer

breninbeener

There was a thread or info about making a ‘towee’ elastic tow rope on here a while ago….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There was a thread or info about….

There are absolutely loads of threads about this exact subject.

Do a search.

robw1
    Free Member

Any idea where breninbeener?

the trax system looks good.

cant find any shorter kinetic tow ropes …. al of them seem to be 10m long!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Any idea where breninbeener?

If only there was a large multinational company that had made billions by being the one stop shop for things like this 🙄

Just go to Google and type in:

site:singletrackworld.com/forum towhee

wzzzz
    Free Member

There’s loads of them cheap on ebay from China

I have one it’s great but awkward to keep hooking unhooking

I’m gonna get a retractable one

Lummox

If you have a go outdoors nearby.

a length of tubular webbing from the climbing stuff + elastic threaded through the middle, tie knots to ‘compress’ it and then two loops – or do the same but sew it for a neater look.

ours has been doing sterling duty for 5 years now, where they see the £55 value in the towee one is beyond me!

bigginge

I recently ordered 5m each of the webbing and shock cord linked below. Aim is to end up with something akin to the towwhee but for ~£10 (including shipping) in bits.

TUBULAR WEBBING – 25MM

ELASTICATED SHOCK CORD / BUNGEE CORD 5MM

PS. The plan is to use a double run of 2.0/2.5m of the shock cord inside of the 5m (minus end loops) of webbing. I’ll be using some heavy duty bonded nylon thread to hand stitch the ends together.

sherco
    Free Member

Use a retractable dog lead with a bit of bungee attached to the lead end.
    I used releasable zip ties to attach it to the seat rail, so you can take it off quickly.
    The Retractable lead takes up the slack in the tow rope.
    Wrap the lead around the stem then get your sprog to hold the end of it against the grip. If they want to stop they just release the lead.
    It was less than £10 and was great👍

sherco
    Free Member

The retractable dog lead allows you to quickly reel in the lead if you want a break from towing without stopping.
    Do not hook or tie on to the lead to the kids bike!

doris
    Free Member

I got one of these from decathlon and cut the plastic tube out of the handle leaving the straps and small carabenas works a treat, my daughter hooks the strap round her bars and stem and off we go. When not in use I wear it like a belt 😀

Decathlon exercise rope thing

Mugboo

I use something like this. Works for my mate to tow me using his e-bike too.

stingmered

If only there was a large multinational company that had made billions by being the one stop shop for things like this 🙄

Just go to Google and type in:

As a sarcastic device you’ll find this is far more effective…

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=singletrackworld+towhee

thegeneralist
    Free Member

As a sarcastic device you’ll find this is far more effective…

I would have done, but couldn’t find it…😒

wzzzz
    Free Member

Why bodge something?

You can buy a ready made one for a tenner?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353760859319

puzzled.

Onzadog
    Free Member
    timber

Mines on one of those other threads, it’s a bit of stretchy dog lead and some paracord loops. About a fiver altogether.

Speeder

Trax – all the other options above are a massive faff in comparison. Ok it’s more than a tenner but it just works and once your child has gotten used to the live unhooking it an be done without stopping let alone having to stuff something into your pocket/pack.

I do have to swivel mine around to ride any dh though is it hits the tyre if using any significant wheel travel whilst in the aft facing position. Just added a bit of 3M tape to the post to stop it rubbing but that’s probably not a bad idea generally.

VanHalen

Why bodge something?

You can buy a ready made one for a tenner?

why by more crap when you can use 2 innertubes you no longer need?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘what mtb tow rope for towing kids on a ride?’ is closed to new replies.