Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What (minimum) rim width for running a 27.5 x 3.0 tyre?
  • Aus
    Free Member

I have the option of running 27.5+ tyres – what’s the minimum rim width that will run a e.g. Nobby Nic 3.0 tyre happily i.e. not distorting its profile?  Looking for a lightweight set of wheels, so figure less rim is good!

And like Stans wheelsets, would Flow be OK?

Thanks

greyspoke
    Free Member

I run 2.8s on 36mm internal, probably as narrow as you would want to go, tyre looks quite rounded but the edge still comes into play without leaning too far.  So a bit more than that for 3.0 I guess.

When I was looking, I had trouble finding any 27.5 x 3.0 tyres, 2.8s (which measure up a bit narrower than that) were what was available.

psycorp
    Free Member

I ran 3″ WTB Bridgers (wider than the NN I run now) for 12 months on 30mm internal width rims no problem.

EDIT: That was tubeless if it makes any difference.

cynic-al
    Free Member

25mm here. not ideal but OK – I got the rims cheap, I’d go wider otherwise.

I don’t think it’s about changing the profile, more how low you can run pressures

colournoise

Running 2.8 on 30mm internal Flow mk3 rims on the rear. Profile is bit rounded but OK. Got a WTB i35 on the front which gives a better profile…

nickfrog
    Free Member

Ideally 35mm but 30mm will do and will offer more choice of rims at a lower cost.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I wouldn’t go any narrower than 30mm internal to avoid ligh-bulb effect.

Running Chupacabra on Velocity P35 and it is just fine.

Cheers!

I.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve had 2.8s on 25mm rims without issue. Now on 35mm and tbh can’t tell a significant difference in the ride

canopy
    Free Member

i’m running 2.8 maxxis dhf /. dhrr ii combo (both exo) on 38mm internal rims.. the card tag that came with them said minimum internal rim with 39mm….. they look fine but going by this i’d see if the manuf specificies a minimum width

the crown gems (2,8 too) that came stock were a lot more rounded

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

haha. So many different numbers…

My 27,5 Magic Mary 2.6:

35 mm internal rim.

This bike behaves with those rims just great.

3 inch rubber? No idea – but not less than 35 mm rims I guess. 35 mm minimum – better more? Like 40?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What (minimum) rim width for running a 27.5 x 3.0 tyre?’ is closed to new replies.