Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What mini d lock?
  • el_boufador

My commuter bike got nicked in Leeds last night 🙁

Left it for 10 minutes while I popped into the bank, gone when I got back. It was locked with a lightweight cable lock…won’t make that mistake again!

Oh well, shit happens eh. It was needing a bit of tlc so I’m just glad I didn’t shell out for all the work before it went!

So, before I get a new bike I’m looking for something more secure, but I don’t want to lug around a bloody monster heavy thing. I won’t be locking the bike all day, just for a few minutes while I pop into the shop.

I’ve seen the knog bouncer – looks alright. Anything else I should be considering?

Ta

ajaj
    Free Member

My OnGuard Pitbull has served me well for years in the station bike park. Not as stylish as the Knog but cheaper and Sold Secure Gold. I used to be the only one but the last few weeks have seen a few more appear (and the broken remains of some cable locks and a sign saying “8 bikes stolen in January”).

vincienup
    Free Member

Depends how much weight you want to lug really. I quite like my New Yorker but it lives in the bikeshed. Portable security is a tricky one. I’d maybe look at something like a hiplock?

paton
    Free Member

fossy

New York FAHG. Full Stop.

paton
    Free Member

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m a fan of the Sheldon Brown ‘shackle round B.B., crank and chain stays through rear wheel ‘ approach which generally fills the average D shackle once a couple of inches of lockup post is included although it does have the downside of potentially inviting attention as the bike appears unlocked to a casual observer until they try to move it so could end up encouraging vandalism.

fossy

I used a FAGH in Manchester for years – it needs careful placement on sheffield stands, but no-one is getting away with the bike without causing a significant amount of noise.

el_boufador

Thanks all

Northwind

I’ve not used a Brute Mini, but I do have the larger Onguard Brute LS and it’s very good value for a big beastly lock. I’d look at that range first if I was buying another d lock today.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What mini d lock?’ is closed to new replies.