Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • What makes me giggle on classifieds.
  • boblo
    Free Member

‘Testing the water…’ It’s either for sale or it isn’t. This really means ‘if I get an offer near to what I paid for it otherwise…’.

binners

I miss the red Race Face cranks. The classifieds have never been the same without them.

Can someone try and sell some, or something equally as outdated and hideous, for a frankly ridiculous price? Then re-post it every other day for the next 18 months?

Just for old times sake.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I could spray paint an old set of cranks red and list those of you like binners, I guess if I used a really old set I could describe them as “unique retro custom red cranks, no damage visible, pedal threads worn as usual”

iain1775
    Free Member

Hora’s wanted ad’s
    followed 2 months later by Hora’s For Sale ads

legend
    Free Member

Renton

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Paypal gift…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

My SX Trail

you’re lucky it didn’t explode due to not having the minimum 450mm of seat post inserted.

Did that one have the cable run under the bottom bracket then into the swing arm so the cable gouged into it every time the (rather squishy) single pivot suspension flexed? A better use of the tape in that instance would have been to find the designer then use it to bind them to a chair before passing it down a suitably steep Andorran hillside.

But yes structural damage is bad, it’s less upsetting from some sources than others but is still bad and preventing that it worthwhile.

amedias
    Free Member

My SX Trail

you’re lucky it didn’t explode due to not having the minimum 450mm of seat post inserted

it every time the (rather squishy) single pivot suspension flexed

I think you might have confused a Specialized SX Trail with a Commencal Meta SX?

Leku
    Free Member

looking for £1200-1250 for this bike – it has been ridden once (18 miles) and has hung in the garage since. The bike new was £1599 (is now £1399 on Halfords website)

So for £150 more I can buy a new one with a warranty…

rOcKeTdOg

“custom build”*

*I changed the stock saddle to an unscuffed really uncomfortable one I found in the shed so it’s worth 100% moar 2nd hand

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think you might have confused a Specialized SX Trail with a Commencal Meta SX?

Dagnabbit. No cake for me.

amedias
    Free Member

No cake for me

whoah whoah! let’s not over-react, denying a man cake is a pretty brutal punishment, don’t we have laws against that kind of barbarity?

marcus7
    Free Member

No pudding is an accepted punishment here…..

tomhoward

careful now tom . there will be a passive agressive email coming your way shortly !

Address in profile

trail_rat
    Free Member

😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

What baffles me all the time is folk selling forks with ‘ little mark on the stanchions but doesn’t loose any air’ bullshite……you look at the photos and they’re invariably scrap but the sellers always want about £100 less than buy new old Undamaged stock or at a price that if they’d sent them in for repair themselves they might stand a chance of achieving……..
    If it’s crap and scratched to he’ll be honest karma will catch up with you!
    Having said that there’s a lot of folk buy second hand knackered goods!

wukfit
    Free Member

looking for £1200-1250 for this bike – it has been ridden once (18 miles) and has hung in the garage since. The bike new was £1599 (is now £1399 on Halfords website)
    So for £150 more I can buy a new one with a warranty…

I saw that and thought it was mental, it’s currently £1199 at Halfords as well 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

“Just testing the water”

What?! Are you selling them or not? Are you warning us that you’ll probably mess us about and decide not to sell once everything’s been agreed? Or is it some half-arsed negotiation tactic ie. I’m not that fussed about selling so won’t move on price?

“RRP of…”

yeah but you bought it for more than 40% off rrp as we all saw it on sale at CRC etc which is what you’re asking for it now (Sunn, anyone?).

“owned by professional mechanic/bike shop employee”

meaning “I bought it at cost + vat so I’m not losing anything on this sale, suckers”.

eBay is (obviously) a richer source, just within stuff I have saved searches for there are loads of C’Dale Supersixes for more than you can get them for new from Pauls/Westbrooks, and I’ve kept watching a Cervelo R3 just out of morbid curiosity. It’s been listed since (at least) July 2014 and the price has slowly ticked down from £2500 to £1500… I almost want to buy it out of pity.

BigDummy
    Free Member

We’ve reached peak CBA to make an advert today.

I miss the red Race Face cranks. The classifieds have never been the same without them.

If anyone has some red Race Face cranks for sale, PM me. I might reply.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s mostly when the kids break out of the classifieds section and you see the obvious trail of madness leading to the probable scam.

Although it’s now banned the brigade who had enough time to waste to check every online retailer to price check anything up as used.

slimjim78
    Free Member

”great condition apart from dent the size of Oregon on the down tube, which hasn’t affected the ride in all the times i’ve not ridden it”

”£3000 for this bike that I can’t be arsed to link a picture to nor tell you what size it is. Just give me your £3000.”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And the “wtd [something that only costs 2,50 from an actual shop]” I mean seriously how much are you hoping to save by buying 2nd hand?!?

This, especial now that ebay is full of all the niche NOS* stuff you could ever need.

*crap from LBS’s that hasn’t sold in years but someone will want it. I’ve just bought a 22.2mm bolt-up canti brake hanger with a bent ferrule to fit on my tourer, for probably a smidgen more than it cost the shop to post it, beat that!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

“email me if you are interested as I don’t get to check the site very often.”

Maybe check a bit more often if you actually want to sell the stuff?

Right. I tend to put “Email me first as I might miss replies on this thread”

Why? Simple. I write an advert and store it on iCloud so I can post it again if I have 2 mins spare. Then I go on with my day (Work generally don’t like you glued to the web all day…)
    When I’m buying i like a prompt reply, so if someone emails me I get a notification which I hear and I can reply ASAP. As I tend to be realistic with my pricing I sell stuff very quickly in the main, it’s not a problem. If someone wants stuff then they’ll have to email anyway!
    If you’re descriptions and pics are good enough, you don’t get questions, just 2-3 emails and it’s sold.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What baffles me all the time is folk selling forks with ‘ little mark on the stanchions but doesn’t loose any air’ bullshite..

Most forks have an air cartridge thats not affected at all by marks on the stanchions. It’s perfectly possible to repair even quite big areas though, if you know how….

This was one I repaired then fitted to a BIKE I SOLD. You couldn’t feel it in the slightest. It’s just filled with epoxy resin and wet sanded back to smooth.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/mVN7j8]IMG_3367[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg
    matt_outandabout

Justin Beiber tickets 😯

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

MASSIVE CLEAROUT!!!

– 15 year old 7 speed rear mech (broken)
    – unbranded 280mm seatpost – 29.4 diameter.

sc-xc

My absolute favourite froma few years ago was the long running Inbred being sold by Pedalthread.

It had a bit of red string round the fork, and was reposted daily for months and months…despite virtually every advert getting ripped to shreds (back when we were allowed to do this!)

Watching the poster get angrier and angier was a daily highlight!

back2basics
    Free Member

“top end stuff” = deore lx front mech
    “high end roadie clothing” = rapha sample sale from last year

tails
    Free Member

Last chance before eBay. lol!

konabunny
    Free Member

Not here but on gumtree:

“Mans bike in vgc needs a tune up £90 no timewasters”

No photo.

finbar
    Free Member

And the “wtd [something that only costs 2,50 from an actual shop]” I mean seriously how much are you hoping to save by buying 2nd hand?!?

This, especial now that ebay is full of all the niche NOS* stuff you could ever need.

I’ve been guilty of this on occasion. It’s not really because I want to save 99p, but I (personally) find it quite satisfying to find a home for that 1″ SFN I’ve had in my spares draw for 15 years and will never use or whatever, and I think some others are the same. I sent a metal non-drive side BB cup from an old Shimano square taper BB to someone not too long ago.

wilko1999
    Free Member

An exclamation mark, or marks, after the price

rOcKeTdOg
    konabunny
    Free Member

They’re a weird size too! 34w/30leg/skinny fit

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I like the cant be arsed to actually clean the item, they have the time to photo and admit to ‘will clean the crap off before posting’ and ‘in mint condition’ . Doesn’t sell it to me…….. I have bought stuff ‘hardly used’ to find its probably near end of life, which makes me think for a few quid more I could have/ now buy new.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The pre-curser, being the “how much is this worth” on the main forum..

Just look on Ebay FFS..

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oh, and people wanting more for it than they paid for it, in the hope to regain their costs..

Yeah, nice one.. 🙄

mattbee

Well, if you’ve got a “short term funding gap” what else can you do?

tillydog
    Free Member

Jeans … 34w/30leg/skinny fit

@HumptyDumpty

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘What makes me giggle on classifieds.’ is closed to new replies.