Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • What makes a good Team Leader? Possible new job
  • rocco

I have applied for a new job and the interview requires a 10 minute presentaion on “What makes a good team leader” so I thought I’d ask the hive as there seems to be a few people within management positions on here.

The job is within the NHS but I am looking to get info from all sectors to enhance my presentation.

wilburt
    Free Member

Best friend, worst enemy.

bearnecessities

Cracking norks.

chojin
    Free Member

You have to be a prize pr*** in my experience.

Nail that and you’re a shoe-in.

windydave13
    Free Member

Couple of ideas from something I’m looking into at the moment:

– Openly addressing the Brutal facts
    – Acting on suggestions
    – Involving team members
    – Team leader embracing critical feedback
    – Inspiration
    – Coach to improve performance
    – Agreed goals for development

Hope it helps

beej

Being able to explain how pretty much everything is like making love to a beautiful woman.

rumple
    Free Member

being able to use a shit load of metaphors

theteaboy
    Free Member
    dazh

My Mrs works in the NHS. She’s not a team leader, but from what I hear the main talent required is a willingness to put up with constant whining and moaning from the staff without having any power or capability to deal with whatever it is they’re moaning about.

ahwiles
    Free Member

treat any request for guidance as an admission of gross misconduct.

go bat shit mental when diary entries are made in the wrong colour.

keep count of how many pens your minions have on their desk – if that exceeds 3, go bat shit mental.

footflaps

Always blame someone else, even if everything is going fine.

jon1973
    Free Member

All you have to do is follow three simple rules.

One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it’s absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

willard

On a more serious note…

Taking on part of the management overhead so that the team is more able to focus on their core tasks. Throw in something about boosting the team to become more than the sum of its parts (possibly by enabling synergies or changing paradigms) and you have a winner.

project
    Free Member

Watch back episodesof the Apprentice and think do i really want to be labeled team leader, or foreman /supervisor as it used to be called, more power and more respect as a supervisor.

From experience of the nhs, nobody seems to be a leader only on the name badge, and when stuff goes wrong off go their badges

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

You sit between management and the shop floor and are in the firing line from both. You need to develop the skin of a rhino with the repellent properties of a ducks back. I did it for years and loved it but its not for the timid. Well not in manufacturing anyway.

qwerty
    Free Member

Say goodbye to workplace friendships.

midlifecrashes

Remember: the only thing you have to fake is sincerity, manage that, and you’ve got it made.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And you, having no knowledge of what it entails, have been asked to explain it.

What makes a good team leader depends on the team, it’s personnel, it’s function and it’s responsibilities with whatever skills all those things entail.

There is not one “Team Leader” model or type that will fit every situation. You wouldn’t, for instance, put a Mathematician in charge of a restaurant kitchen, or a “Delegative Type” Manager in charge of a team that needed micro-managing.

And so on. I think it’s bizarre that your prospective firm expects you to provide coverage of a complicated subject normally the domain of Occupational Psychologists and other consultants of that ilk…

chewkw
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    What makes a good team leader depends on the team, it’s personnel, it’s function and it’s responsibilities with whatever skills all those things entail.

^^^ … and The maturity of the people you are leading. :mrgreen:

binners

Can you play the guitar?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEtQj9wuqhs[/video]

stumpy01

ahwiles – Member

treat any request for guidance as an admission of gross misconduct.

go bat shit mental when diary entries are made in the wrong colour.

keep count of how many pens your minions have on their desk – if that exceeds 3, go bat shit mental.

You forgot;

– hold brainstorming meetings and then steal all the good ideas as your own to present to management.

MSP

The ability to manage upwards instead of just down.

2orangey4crows

The ability to walk into any room with your leg cocked and your tongue out. Because you’ll always need to be ready to either kick arse or lick arse.

(apologies to Tibor Fischer for that one)

rocco

Some good suggestions, some I may just keep to myself 😕

Mr Woppit – Member
    And you, having no knowledge of what it entails, have been asked to explain it.

Where do I state I have no knowledge 😉

There is not one “Team Leader” model or type that will fit every situation. You wouldn’t, for instance, put a Mathematician in charge of a restaurant kitchen, or a “Delegative Type” Manager in charge of a team that needed micro-managing.

I appreciate that there is no one “type” but I was asking for what people would consider good skills in a team leader so that I may gain a broader knowledge of the area. The interview has asked for “Skills in relation to a Podiatry Team Leader” but Im guessing there aren’t many of those on here, hence broadening the area

Kryton57

My view of managing:

You have a responsibility to your managers above you, and to achieve the objectives placed on the team. Its your job to ensure your team meets their demands. Those are the company rules, make sure your team understands that this is a primary aspect of your job.

The other aspect of you job is to provide the Team with everything it needs to succeed in the above, whether thats pay, time, skills, tools, help, advice, motivation, time off, telling off, removal of bad apples, promotion or employment of new staff.

Just becuase you are Team Leader, does not necessarily make you superior to them. There is nothing wrong in managing or creating a Team superior to your abilities – be humble about that, its a big success to have achieved that – build the best team you possibly can – then move onward & upward and do it again.

You balance the two, and sometimes meeting the requirements of one wil grate on the other – its up to you to decide which is more acceptable at that point in time.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Skills in relation to a Podiatry Team Leader”

Aha!

Just don’t say anything corny.

wrecker
    Free Member

“Skills in relation to a Podiatry Team Leader”

Did you see the wankle footgina thread?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

A podiatry team leader has to earn their corn. They must encourage their team to stand on their own two feet. Errant members of staff must be brought to heel. They have to be the life and sole of staff get-togethers. Whinging underlings must be told to put a sock in it. If you trot all of these out, you should nail it, no bother.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s a shoe-in.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Height.

binners

As Mrs Binners always says…. tits and teeth

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Think you asked the wrong board.

Communication
    Delegation
    Problem Solving Skills
    Presentational Skills
    Team building skills
    Integrity
    Enthusiasm

Explain your understanding of each in a work environment and give examples to reinforce what you’ve just said.
    This task isnt unique to this company it’s a standard interview format.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

via @dezh willingness to put up with constant whining and moaning from the staff without having any power or capability to deal with whatever it is they’re moaning about.

and

via @ravey davey You sit between management and the shop floor and are in the firing line from both. You need to develop the skin of a rhino with the repellent properties of a ducks back.

pretty much sums up my fairly crap 2 years in an IT team leader role in a horrendously dysfunctional org.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

This was outdoors, and a long way from the NHS. When you get a quiet five minutes, take a tray of teas and coffees (there’s a list, right) around your crew, just saying hello and taking the opportunity to see what’s happening, or not.

jimbobo
    Free Member

I have an interview for an NHS team leader role this week, all the advice I’ve had is around escalation, as in knowing when/how/ why without doing it unnecessarily. Also it helps if you know everyone else jobs better than they do.

jota180
    Free Member

If I can at all help it, I’ll never manage anyone again.

But ….
    You need to quickly learn which team members need a cuddle and which need a kick up the arse to get them moving where you want them.
    You also have to very quickly spot those that have got it in for you and make sure you never say anything to them that you don’t want other to know about.

cynical, hell yes.

hora
    Free Member

Brown nose and incompetency are the skills for what I’ve seen.

Only twice have I encountered visionary or inspirational leadership.

The rest use a mix of misinformation, blame and divide and rule.

portlyone

I can tell you but you’ll need to attend my seminar. £500 over two days.

bruneep

😉

vondally
    Free Member

critical analysis replace with reflective analysis
    ability to understand the core functions of staffs roles, their skills and abilities
    understand the management strategy and business plans
    bring the above two together, so everyone understands their roles and are responsible for their actions, use a shared language that all understand no power words and so on
    organised and flexible,
    listening
    empathy
    challenge where necessary
    supervise by listening and action planning and then sharing the notes and records with the staff
    do not be afraid to move up through the organisations disciplinary route if required, but give folk chance to change
    stop whingeing by making them responsible and by pushing their skill levels, make challenges that they can succeed and then develop on in.
    reflect on what you can do better on,
    do not physically cuddle anyone………..it will inevitably lead to a grievance

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What makes a good Team Leader? Possible new job’ is closed to new replies.