• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What makes a crank better than another crank?
  • tozoil
    Free Member

Hello all,
    I’m looking at buying some cranks for my bike but I can’t really see what justifies the price of say:
    miche primato cranks over miche express track cranks, there’s about £60 difference. I can see that some of this difference is due to a better chain ring.

What other benefits do you get buying more expensive cranks?
    Rigidity? Weight?

I can’t seem to find weights of them so I don’t know that they’d be lighter, £60 seems a rather hefty penalty for little gain.

Cheers

RealMan
    Free Member

Weight, stiffness, looks.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I use Deore mtb cranks and never notice any flex and they aren’t even that heavy. The frame flexes before the cranks on my bikes.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Weight
    Stiffness
    Durability
    Shifting efficiency (if we’re talking chainsets).

juan
    Free Member

weight to stiffness ratio

boxfish
    Free Member

Marketing…

tozoil
    Free Member

Right, I thought as much. Thank you for all of your replies!

Northwind

Being compatible with non-crap bottom brackets. Bloomin Truvativ.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d be willing to bet that in a blind test that there’s nobody on STW could tell the difference between Deore and XTR on the same bike.

Maybe between square taper and HT2, but not between 2 of the same type, not a chance. 🙂

stevious

Northwind – if you’re annoyed about having to use GXP bottom brackets then you CAN use Hope ones instead. Does require some wee washer things from Hope that cost more than they should though (was still cheaper than replacing the cranks on my wife’s bike).

Bregante

I’d be willing to bet that in a blind test that there’s nobody on STW could tell the difference between Deore and XTR on the same bike.

Agreed. And if you get someone to try a blind test please record it 😉

Northwind

Re blind test… I can’t feel any difference between my XTRs and my Saints, but I wouldn’t say that means there’s no difference

stevious – Member

Northwind – if you’re annoyed about having to use GXP bottom brackets then you CAN use Hope ones instead. Does require some wee washer things from Hope that cost more than they should though

Aye… And it seems to me that if it works for Hope then it ought to work for others too, will need to do some measuring up. But still, I like my £11 XT BBs! Cheers though!

rewski
    Free Member

I reckon I can feel the wind pass the inside surface of a deore crank arm, if you bash a flat pedal the metal resonates differently too.

Edit: I’m comparing against xt not xtr though.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have old 300lx cranks and saint cranks. Both feel like cranks to me. I which BB last longer as well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I reckon I can feel the wind pass the inside surface of a deore crank arm,

I really hope that’s a joke. Tell me it’s a joke. Please. 😕

rewski
    Free Member

I really hope that’s a joke

Nope, the inside as quite a deep recess that isn’t very aero dynamic, combine pedalling with a cross-wind and you can feel it, even hear it. Not willing to do a blind test though. This is officially the saddest discussion I’ve had on STW 🙂

smiff
    Free Member

cranks are a bit like stems.. you need one that fits, but people seem to care a lot how they look. one of the worst value places to spend money imho! on the other hand a good set will last forever so..
    deore is really good value btw now it’s HT2 nothing comes close afaik (but Deore bbs are cack, for dry use only!).

anyone put cranks on a test rig to see how bendy they are, and how the hollow ones compare to others?

xiphon
    Free Member

Some cranks have pedal inserts, for when you get a bit gnar..

I’ve snapped a few cranks before – not from riding down the shops – trials on a MTB, and landing-to-flat on a BMX. Got a scar on the inside of my left lower leg from where the snapped crank ripped me open…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The bigger difference is in the rings; Deore are pressed steel, XT are machined alloy and XTR are made from Unicorn horn and mermaids tails.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can 😛

I’ve tried some old truvative square tapers, RF deus and XTR back to back, you can feel a difference between all three. It’s less that the lighter/cheeper ones feel flexy, and more that the XTR feel stiff if that makes sense, both in terms of not flexing and transmitting more buzz to the pedals.

Also got carbon cranks on the road bike which feel totaly different again, stiff like the XTR, but not transmiting vibrations like metal cranks.

So you might not be able to say “this bike has XTR” without a back to back comparison, but you can feel a difference.

GW
    Free Member

strength/stiffness/durability/reliability/longevity and a secure/reliable crank arm mounting design are far more important than weight to me..

(but Deore bbs are cack, for dry use only!).

Deore BBs are fine, I now use even cheaper Tiagra and get well over a year out of each one.. I still reckon the #1 reason for premature HTII BB failure is muppets pre-loading them too much.

anyone put cranks on a test rig to see how bendy they are

who needs a test rig? Deore/LX/XT = flexy Saint = stiff and it’s instantly noticeable switching between them

and how the hollow ones compare to others?

Think you need to learn German and subscribe to their mtb mags for that level of anality.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What makes a crank better than another crank?’ is closed to new replies.