Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 253 total)
  • 30% flat tax rate?
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Hahahahaha – thats got to be one of the worst ever TJ – you couldn’t even muster up an Edinburgh defence

Tell me TJ – where are the other famous Scottish folk heroes?

Why did Rod leave?

Nowt to do with that laffer curve, was it!

loum
    Free Member

In between the sideshow arguments, there seems to be some significant support (poly and others) for the flat tax rate based on “simplicity” and “fairness”.
    Its also clear that the proposal in the OP’s report is unworkable due to the immediate £50 billion increase in the deficit. However, it will take far more than a 1.4% change to the rate to avoid this massive deficit.
    However, if the principle of the “flat rate” is better, why not introduce it at a rate that doesn’t produce the instant £50 billion deficit and therefore make it economically viable. This could be 40%, or even 50%, but it could be reduced in the future once the system has succeeded and the deficit that we already have (over £100billion per year) has been reduced. Obviously the base threshold would need to be raised to prevent an increased tax burden falling on the poorest in society.
    How about a £18,000 tax allowance for everyone, with flat rate tax at 40% above that?
    Or 50% flat rate tax, with a threshold allowance of £20k ?

Even the second option would only increase the tax bill for those earning over about £55k per year. Most people would benefit.

By my very rough calculations 😉 that should help prevent the £50 billion deficit, whilst still implementing the desired simplicity and fairness and combined with closing of the evasion/avoidance loopholes and reduction of the actual cost to collect the tax.
    If it works, reduce the rate in 15 years.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aha – back to the good old ad-hominem attacks TJ, quelle surprise

Pot kettle black – I hope that doe snot make you rleive your awful experience with racism

Oh look, I go away for a few days and it’s all the same. Same people having the same circular arguments as ever, and all on a relatively obscure bike forum.

It’s nice and sunny outside. Go for a ride.
    Hey so you get back check it out then go to the extent of posting your dislike AGAIN….why did you just not bother reading them as you say this on every single thread? Can you not learn you dont like these threads:roll:

Roderick David “Rod” Stewart, CBE (born 10 January 1945)[3] is a British singer-songwriter, born and raised in North London, England, and currently residing in Epping

Well done you, you really did show him with that post

GrahamS

*sticks head in*

This still going on then? Okay I’ll answer some of the points made to me now TJ has managed to expand his argument:

TJ: Graham – TAXABLE INCOME PUTTING THEM INTO THE TAX BAND! not total income.

I have no idea what you mean by this. You stated that taxpayers in the high rate (40%) tax band are the top 10% wealthiest in the country and are automatically regarded as “rich”.

I simply pointed out that they are actually (almost) the top 10% individual earners in the country. That doesn’t mean they are “rich”.

You have to consider the number of dependants they have at home. Which is why the government, the IFS and poverty action groups all use household income, not individual income as a measure of relative poverty/wealth.

TJ: earning enough money to put you into higher rate taxation puts you in the top 10% of the countries earners. (just about) That means you are rich. Ie better off than 90% of the country

First sentence correct. Second sentence incorrect.
    You can, as I have shown repeatedly, be earning in the higher tax bracket and still have a household income that puts you way below the average in the UK.

Junkyard: you are altering form an individual to a family… …that is not to say you dont have a point but it is a bit of a false comparison- individuals to groups to make your point.

Your relatively high individual earnings mean nothing if you’ve got 10 mouths to feed at home.

I use household income because that is how “wealth” is measured by the government and poverty groups.

If you only consider individual income, as TJ does, then you classify a household with one high earner and 8 dependants to feed and clothe as “rich”, while next door a household with two average earners and no dependants is “average” – despite the fact that the second household has considerably more actual cash than the first one.

TJ: Its pointless debating this with teh head in the sand right wingers

Bizarrely I think you believe I am somehow “right wing” for trying to properly define “wealth” and correctly identify those without.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ: Graham – TAXABLE INCOME PUTTING THEM INTO THE TAX BAND! not total income.

The example you gave you didn’t include the allowances – so you are around £7000+ out in your calculation – an income of £42000 does not get you into the higher rate tax bracket and income of around £50 000 does. so your imaginary family would actualy not be 40% tax payers on an income of £42 000 pa

You also fail to include child benefits
    Graham – I don’t consider you one of the head in the sand right-wingers however I do believe you do not realise how well off people earning £50 000 pa are.

GrahamS

an income of £42000 does not get you into the higher rate tax bracket

The £42000 was your own figure from this statement: “if you earn £42000 plus yo are one of the wealthiest people in the country – top 10% or so.”

Higher rate (40%) tax starts at £35k taxable income for 2012 + a personal allowance of £7,475 gives ~£42k

You also fail to include child benefits

Didn’t they stop them for higher rate tax payers?

however I do believe you do not realise how well off people earning £50 000 pa are.

I know that people earning 42k+ can be well off. And I willingly concede that most probably are. But it very much depends on personal circumstances. An “average” couple on average wages can easily out earn a single 42k+er. A 42k+er can live in a household with well below average income.

Calling all 42kers “rich” regardless of household circumstances is very misleading.

Incidentally, I saw recently that there are now 4.1 million higher rate tax payers. Nearly 1-in-7 of all taxpayers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Higher rate (40%) tax starts at £35k taxable income for 2012 + a personal allowance of £7,475 gives ~£42k

.Ah – sorry then my muddle. – I added allowances twice 😳

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

See Junky – you get so close to hammering one home, then go and spanner it over the bar:

currently residing in Epping

‘Currently residing’? rather than ‘living in’?

Does that say where he is permanently resident for Tax purposes?

how many homes do you think Rod Stewart owns?

Epping
    Los Angeles
    Palm Beach
    Southern France

the fact that he’s ‘currently residing’ in Epping says nothing – because when he goes to another one of his houses, he’s ‘currently residing’ there, isn’t he!

but the fact that he’s able to tailor the amount of time he spends at each of his houses to avoid excessive tax bills, proves the point that if you tax people too much, they will go somewhere else – hell, one visit to Monaco proves the Laffer curve.

Tell you what, Lets put it in his own words:

“I was a real little Red when I was 19,” said Rod “Earn a few bob and it all changes though, dunnit?” He told Melody Maker in 1974, when Labour had pushed income tax rates to their highest since the war: “The Government thinks it’ll tax us bastards right up to the hilt because we won’t leave, but that’s wrong because I will if I want to … with a 90 per cent tax ceiling, it’s just not worth living in England any more.”

There you go – the laffer curve in one easy lesson!

kimbers

shirley the answer is proper tax harmonisation- accross europe for a start

and more importantly global legislation to crack down on tax havens

of course camerons own family money was squirreled away from the nasty HMRC so hes hardly likely to push for that
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/9218119/David-Camerons-inherited-family-wealth-based-in-foreign-tax-havens.html

GrahamS

shirley the answer is proper tax harmonisation- accross europe for a start

The state Europe is in at the moment I can’t see anything like that ever happening.

and more importantly global legislation to crack down on tax havens

This would be good though. As would generally shutting all the loopholes properly. Tax only stands a chance of being “fair” if everyone pays what they are meant to rather than finding ways to avoid it.

(But then, how many of us happily avoid Duty on imported bike parts? Cameras? etc)

binners

Dear God….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

glitchybump?

thought binners intervention would be worth seeing 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

thought binners intervention would be worth seeing

It was. 😀

grum
    Free Member

A 42k+er can live in a household with well below average income.

How so? They might have more to spend it on but they still don’t have below average income surely? And having lots of kids is a personal decision surely? Like deciding to have a lot of cars or boats. 😉

“I was a real little Red when I was 19,” said Rod “Earn a few bob and it all changes though, dunnit?” He told Melody Maker in 1974, when Labour had pushed income tax rates to their highest since the war: “The Government thinks it’ll tax us bastards right up to the hilt because we won’t leave, but that’s wrong because I will if I want to … with a 90 per cent tax ceiling, it’s just not worth living in England any more.”

There you go – the laffer curve in one easy lesson!

Yeah, talking about 90% tax rates.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Yeah, talking about 90% tax rates.

and TJ’s point was that the laffer curve was fiction – which means that it cannot apply at any level.

grum
    Free Member

Ah ok hadn’t read the whole thread. but note that Rod is basically saying ‘I used to have principles, then I got rich and they went out of the window and self interest took over’.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

‘I used to have principles, then I got rich and they went out of the window and self interest took over’ grew up.

Solo
    Free Member

‘I used to have principles, then I got rich and they went out of the window and self interest took over’.

GOT IT !.

Grum.
    You are Jesus.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your relatively high individual earnings mean nothing if you’ve got 10 mouths to feed at home.
    It does it mean you are high rate tax payer with lots of kids..are you still not a high rate tax payer if you have above a certain number of kids?
    I use household income because that is how “wealth” is measured by the government and poverty groups.
    Hold On a minute I need a while to think of a pithy line there what with you make a reasonable point and all
    Ps do you mean wealth or income as they are not the same thing ?
    If you only consider individual income, as TJ does, then you classify a household with one high earner and 8 dependants to feed and clothe as “rich”, while next door a household with two average earners and no dependants is “average” – despite the fact that the second household has considerably more actual cash than the first one.
    We can have other anomalies though I could earn a million and have such a high mortgage that I am less well off than someone on 20 k who lives at home with their parents but I don’t see how you can call me [cash] poor
    It is interesting to debate whether individual or household is the better measure and I suspect either was we could highlight some interesting anomalies
    See Junky – you get so close to hammering one home, then go and spanner it over the bar:
    I thought you were referring to Scotland in your posts perhaps you should have been clearer. Thanks for a quote from Rod Stewart in 1974 …if that does not prove a highly debatable economic proposition then frankly I don’t now what will? Have you got anything from Alvin Stardust from the same period so we can be sure?

and TJ’s point was that the laffer curve was fiction – which means that it cannot apply at any level.

what so if I say io disdagree with the laffer curve I am also disagreeing with the view thata 0 % tax rate raises zero tax.
    Your logic system is is as interesting as your dictionary.

Just because your morals are in the gutter you dont need to elevate Grum to deity levels 😛
    Z-11 so grown ups have no principles excellent view

GrahamS

> A 42k+er can live in a household with well below average income.
    How so?

😯 Again? Okay.

42kpa means a net wage of £30,922m pa.

Whack that figure into the IFS Where Do You Fit In calculator with a family consisting of 2 adults, 3 teenage kids (14-18), living in a below average council tax area of £1500pa.

Result: 3rd decile. Around 24% on the UK “wealth” scale.

Solo
    Free Member

disdagree with the laffer curve I am also disagreeing with the view thata 0 % tax rate raises zero tax.
    Your logic system is is as interesting as your dictionary.

What ?.
    did he borrow yours.
    😆

EDIT:

Sorry Junk.
    YOU ARE Jesus.
    Grum is the lord god almighty.
    😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Taking into account household size and composition (click here to see how), we have calculated your position in the income distribution. With a household after tax income of £777 per week, you have a higher income than around 96% of the population – equivalent to about 58.2 million individuals.

Taking into account household size and composition (click here to see how), we have calculated your position in the income distribution. With a household after tax income of £777 per week, you have a higher income than around 19% of the population – equivalent to about 11.5 million individuals

same person but now with a partner and 10 kids

Its not comparing like with like though and I forgot to take off tax and canno tbe bothered to re do.

So we now all know that kids are expensive
    I still think you both have a point and are saying different things
    i am happy to debate which is the better measure [ not really I am doing what Binners said]

GrahamS

are you still not a high rate tax payer if you have above a certain number of kids?

You are, it’s just your fabulous wages don’t go quite as far.

do you mean wealth or income as they are not the same thing ?

That is pretty much my point. One high income does not automatically mean wealthy household.

We can have other anomalies though I could earn a million and have such a high mortgage that I am less well off than someone on 20 k who lives at home with their parents but I don’t see how you can call me [cash] poor

True, but your assets would still mean you were “wealthy” and you’d still chart very highly on the IFS calculator. So not really an anomaly at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sorry Junk.
    YOU ARE Jesus.
    Grum is the lord god almighty.

I look more like Jesus than he looks like God

Solo
    Free Member

than he looks like God

😯

Errrr.

How would you know ?.
    😛

grum
    Free Member

Again? Okay.

Hadn’t read the whole thread, sorry. 😳

Still not entirely convinced by the premise though, as it is a bit like saying some people aren’t as well off as they seem despite high earnings because they have an enormous fine wine bill to pay every year (can you tell I’m not a parent?). 🙂

I look more like Jesus than he looks like God

I’m more like Buddha. JY is sort of like the vegan Scots/Bolton version of Jesus.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m more like Buddha. JY is sort of like the vegan Scots/Bolton version of Jesus.

Aye.

Its all just a bit of fun.
    😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

grum wins but nice work all 😀

GrahamS

it is a bit like saying some people aren’t as well off as they seem despite high earnings because they have an enormous fine wine bill to pay every year (can you tell I’m not a parent?).

Well you can ignore the kids aspect if you like:

Take a couple with no kids, where only one works but earns 42kpa.
    That gives a net income of £30,922 which is doing fairly well and sits at 71% on the IFS scale.

But a couple with no kids, where both work but only earn the national average (median) of £26,200 will have a net income of £40,356 and are doing much better for themselves at 85% on the IFS scale.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am pretty sure you have just proved that £52,400 in indeed more than £42,000.

I am genuinely not sure what I think of this approach of comparing an individual with a group, we could do it for ever.
    What about pets they cost, do we count them?
    We still have the same money so i am not sure we can actually say one is richer than the other because one has more outgoings that they willing took on though of course I can see that view point.

* we could imagine a millionaire with expensive golf membership, expensive car depreciating hugely and a huge house arguable being worse of [ after fixed costs] tham someone on average wage living at home with their parents. I am not sure it would be true just because they have the most disposable income they are the richest…interesting debate about viewpoints as both can be creditable and I am still not sure which is the “best”.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A final thought from the arch right-winger (sic) John Maynard Keynes:

Nor should the argument seem strange that taxation may be so high as to defeat its object, and that, given sufficient time to gather the fruits, a reduction of taxation will run a better chance than an increase of balancing the budget. For to take the opposite view today is to resemble a manufacturer who, running at a loss, decides to raise his price, and when his declining sales increase the loss, wrapping himself in the rectitude of plain arithmetic, decides that prudence requires him to raise the price still more—and who, when at last his account is balanced with nought on both sides, is still found righteously declaring that it would have been the act of a gambler to reduce the price when you were already making a loss.

Put simply, JMK understood the Laffer Curve before Laffer was born. Funny that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teamhurtmore still waffling on about the laffer curve?
    this is a classic THM arguement. take a theory espoused by right wing accept this unproven theory as fact than argue from this “fact”

There are a large number of reputable economists who do not believe in the laffer curve, there is a lot of data disproving it, there is no decent data proving it.

Its an unproven theory at best.

Like all economics there will be two different views at least on every aspect. However the laffer curve believers are not on the mainstream thinking unless like THM you believe that the rightwing neoliberal view is the mainsteam

Junkyard
    Free Member

You seem to be simpliofying to score som einternet win points here.
    i assume we can all accept that 0 % tax raises 0 % tax
    We may largely accept that at 100% we all refuse to pay [ i am not si sure on this but what the hell I will accept it.

Now this does not mean that any single reduction in tax leads to more money [ i would like to see you draw that curve.
    We are then left with debating what the rate is at which a reduction increases the tax gained the theoretical maximum rate could be anywhere above 0 and below 100 – your powerful science seems unable to work it out giving a range of about 30%- 70% which is roughly the equivalent of shrugging their shoulders and going who knows where this point is.
    Your claim that a reduction would lead to an increase in tax is an assertion and nothing more unless of course you knw exactly where the “tipping ” point is.
    I assume other market “interference” measures can move the curve as well for example people may accept more tax if they get better services or to pay for a war.

The laffer curve does not state that all and any tax cut will always result in more money being generated.

even the research by HMRC said 50 p was raising approximately 1 billion extra which you can download from here
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2012/excheq-income-tax-2042.htm

of course it was economics so the prediction was hugely precise and I give it in full

The conclusion that can be drawn from the Self Assessment data is therefore that the underlying yield from the additional rate is much lower than originally forecast (yielding around £1 billion or less), and that it is quite possible that it could be negative.

it really is some powerful stuff this economics ..i am not used to working with such precision 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So what was JMK saying then? And why does JMK/HRMC/any economist understand the concept of elasticity, but you refute it? And read carefully, the whole point of reading what Keynes said (probably the most incorrectly quoted economists of all time) is to show that you don’t even have to mention Laffer. All you need to understand is elasticity. But every time, you are backed up by a straight forward fact – the same response. Funny that?

The only mention I have made of the Laffer Curve is the fact that HRMC use it and Keynes understood the principle before the label was applied. But does this make Keynes a rightwing neoliberal as well? We should form a club. Any part of that incorrect, or stay with the bully boy tactics?

Edit – thank you JY, glad the link was useful. Not really very precise though any of this is it? Did you note all the quoted analysis in that report. So much for no evidence?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can accept that increase tax rates by 10% may only give a less than 10% increase in tax gained. I cannot accept without reasonable evidence that increasing the tax rate by any amount means less total tax. Its obvious nonsense.

I do note non of the laffer curve adherents answered the point about benefits.

There is benefit fraud. If benefit rates were increased there would be less fraud so that the total cost would be lower.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So I am shopkeeper X selling product Y. I put the price of Y up – do I make more or less money?

donsimon
    Free Member

I do note non of the laffer curve adherents answered the point about benefits.

Hurts, doesn’t it? You ask a pertinent question and it gets ignored leaving only one conclusion to be jumped to.

I cannot accept without reasonable evidence that increasing the tax rate by any amount means less total tax. Its obvious nonsense.

That’s the worst type of nonsense, I agree with you completely that nonsense that isn’t supported by evidence cannot and should not be accepted, I don’t even think the evidence should be reasonable either. I must remember this for future reference.
    School of hypocrisy and wriggling around always wins…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Did you note all the quoted analysis in that report. So much for no evidence?

of course not its the internet I stole a quote and used it to look wise but shh I think I got away with it 😉
    I would repeat
    The laffer curve does not state that all and any tax cut will always result in more money being generated.

how is my A level economics from 25 years ago holding up

FWIW there is apoint at the extremes but it should not be [mis]used to suggest all tax cuts leads to more money because it does not say that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If the TIE is large enough then it is even possible that the increase in taxes could result in a sufficient fall in taxable income to cause a net decrease in tax revenues.”

The HRMC

TandemJeremy – Member
    I cannot accept without reasonable evidence that increasing the tax rate by any amount means less total tax. Its obvious nonsense.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/jobs/

Go tiger – go and sort them out. Then we can all enjoy the results.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – its holding up better now. Come and take the paper this week. A* guaranteed!! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘30% flat tax rate?’ is closed to new replies.