Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What lighter fork for a Pompino?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

Looking to lighten my Pompino, increase the tyre clearance and add the option for disc brakes.
    What forks are out there? I’d consider Carbon if the price isn’t extortionate.
    Thanks,

warpcow
    Free Member

It was a while ago now, but I put a Kinesis on the front of mine. Cost about £100 from my lbs iirc.

Stoner
    Free Member

I didnt think pomps ever came with anything but a straight headtube, so straight steerer disc ready “road” forks I cant say Ive ever seen.

For disc mounts you’d be looking at something like the exotic MTB carbon forks that they still knock out in straight steerers with disc mounts.

I put a PX carbon fork on my pompino but not fitted discs.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ask Brant if he can find an On One Fatty Carbon fork hidden in the warehouse, along with an RDS fat front hub (or maybe complete wheel).

Or grab a tapered steerer disc fork and a tapered headset lower that sits outside the head tube?

epicyclo

10 years ago I had this carbon fork on my Pompino

It has disk mounts. I got it from USA $100. There’s no name on it unfortunately.

I put the original fork back on so I could mount mudguards.

disco_stu
    Free Member

This fork on the Kinesis site looks as if it ticks most of the boxes
    https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Forks/Cyclocross/RL02-ALLOY

Anyone know the weight of a stock Pompino fork for comparison?

ibnchris

Looks tapered though…

Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone know the weight of a stock Pompino fork for comparison?

As if by magic….

But as above, that Kinesis isnt going to fit without a funky bottom headset cup and odd things to your head angle

lodger

On my cross-check I went for Kona P2 700 disc at first, then swapped in a Kinesis DC19 carbon fork. Both 1 1/8 straight steerers from the olden days. Couldn’t tell you what either weigh, but i’d imagine its got to be less than 857g.

I still have both forks, could be persuaded to part with one if you are interested. Both a bit tatty but structurally sound.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Ah, didn’t spot the tapered bit when I had a quick look during my lunch break, it doesn’t save much weight over a standard Pompino fork so it’s probably not worth the effort – thanks Stoner for the pic of the Pompino weight.
    Lodger can you send some pictures please?

lodger

Sorry for the delay. Pics below. As you can see there’s a bit of corrosion at the dropouts and crown under the paint. The DC19 weighs about 750g- more than I thought. No mudguard eyes.

DC19 P2 700https://imgur.com/a/VmknLmv

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What lighter fork for a Pompino?’ is closed to new replies.