Viewing 40 posts - 3,441 through 3,480 (of 4,418 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • slowol

The end of summer seems to have made an increase in time to finish, or at least upload, some more of the amazing things on this thread.

Yesterday’s need to use some of the garden fruit glut lead to making a few jars of pickled pears ready for a winter of gluttony.

joshvegas
    Free Member

That desk looks a bit narrow househusband.

househusband

That desk looks a bit narrow househusband.

@joshvegas
    LOL, but its the perfect height for sitting on and donning boots and shoes – and it hides my tatty old work bag!

WillH

Stretching the definition of the thread a bit, more bodged than made… Dropped a pan lid onto its handle and the threaded bit shattered into many pieces. Coated the screw with PTFE spray and poured Araldite around it to recreate the tapped hole.
    IMG_20211029_161927

Slightly more on topic, since this half of the world is rapidly moving into summer I decided the empty log store next to the wood burner was looking pretty shabby and could do with tarting up for the next seven months or so…
    IMG_20211029_141534

Not great as firewood but looks pretty 👍

pdw
    Free Member

Always like a good fix. Didn’t know about the PTFE vs Araldite trick – would have come in handy recently. This thread needs a resurrection.

thenorthwind

This thread needs a resurrection.

So did WillH’s.

IGMC.

dyna-ti

Furious

Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but I made this (sort of)

3.0 litre Jaguar sourced V6 into a 1997 MK1 MX5

It is a Rocketeer kit which, among other things, includes a replacement subframe and an adaptor plate for the MX5 gearbox

Originally the car was a basic 90BHP 1.6 (non-ABS, non-PS) now has circa 270 horses and makes a glorious noise.

All spanner work by me. I do have a build thread/blog if people are interested

Murray

That’s very cool

duncancallum

@furious yes mate love a bit of this

tthew

Cool indeed – but going from a 90hp engine to 270 on the same gearbox – that’s not going to last long surely? I assume the clutch was uprated at least!

Furious

Cool indeed – but going from a 90hp engine to 270 on the same gearbox – that’s not going to last long surely? I assume the clutch was uprated at least!

The MX5 gearbox is a pretty bombproof and people do run 280-300 and beyond through them with turbo- and super- charged conversions (rear diff is likely to let go before the g/box but should be ok for the power I’m running…)

Clutch is brand new and is an uprated unit (it is part of the Rocketeer kit alongside a bespoke flywheel)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@Furious holy hell!

was the ‘vindiesel’ username already taken?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

@Furious could you post a link to the Blog as would be interested to see more details.

Furious

@Furious could you post a link to the Blog as would be interested to see more details.

Sure, check it out here. It’s not quite up to date, but you can follow most of the process. It’s also on Insta under the same name

sharkattack

Absolute YES top the Rocketeer. Awesome things. Going to spend the rest of my working week reading your blog.

Alex

Blog is ace. Really enjoying it!

Northwind

That’s bloody awesome. And practically brand-fascist-approved too since OK it’s a Jag variant of a Ford motor but Mazda used one too.

scotroutes

A riser for my steering riser 🙂

Having bought a rocker plate for my Smart Trainer, I needed something to raise the front wheel up by the same amount. It needs some sticky rubber feet on it now though as it slips a bit on my trainer mat.

smehrlich
    Free Member

i ran this for many many hours on my cnc machine.

will eventually be filled with clear epoxy and make up part of a breakfast bar in someones kitchen.

View post on imgur.com

ajantom

Just made/did a couple of remixes for a band called the Helmholtz Resonators.

Bit of tweaking still to do, but quite happy with them.\

Rich_s

Looks like rain, dear.

View post on imgur.com

goldfish24

Doh!

Ambrose

@Rich_s What material did you use? I’m planning a similar sort of thing, a ‘Gardenosaurus’ but I’m struggling to find a suitable board to work with. It seems that whatever select water will ingress through the cut edges, cause swelling, freezing in the winter etc…

Any suggestions anyone?

nickjb
    Free Member

How about a recycled plastic. I’ve used stokbord and ecohoarding board before. Totally outside proof. https://www.filcris.co.uk/category/planks-posts-and-sheets/recycled-plastic-sheet

Rich_s

@Ambrose that’s 6mm ply. I made some witches a couple of weeks back out of 9mm and coated them in Ronseal One Coat Fence Life paint. Look back in the thread.

About 3-4 coats needed for a proper black. They were outside for a week and have not delaminated – I wasn’t too careful with the paint either.

The reindeer is going to be getting white Cuprinol Garden Shades as it will be outside for longer. That stuff seems to form a plastic barrier over the wood and I’m hopeful it’ll be better for the edges. I built a wonky shed a few years back and that paint is still going strong.

Rich_s

That plastic sheet is 4x the price of equivalent ply 😲
    Plus delivery. Blimey. It’s a good idea though – as long as it’s recyclable through normal means too.

kayak23

Those look brilliant @smehrlich.
    They’ll look mint with a resin infill.
    What cnc machine do you run out of interest?

nickjb
    Free Member

That plastic sheet is 4x the price of equivalent ply 😲
    Plus delivery. Blimey. It’s a good idea though – as long as it’s recyclable through normal means too.

The hoarding is £100 a sheet. That’s not much more than a decent marine ply and it’ll last longer and not need any finishing.

The recycling aspect is an interesting one. It’s made of recycled plastic that has probably already been recycled before and is getting to the point that it can’t really be recycled anymore. We need to be using more materials like this if we don’t want it to end up in landfill.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hmm, not recent but similar to the reindeer.

I give you SHEEP

Part 1 – https://youtu.be/MG74rguz86Q
    Part 2 – https://youtu.be/MG74rguz86Q

Or my favourite, Albatross

smehrlich
    Free Member

kayak

i run a little queenbee pro 1000 x 1000

theyre for a customer local to me who has no idea what he’s doing with epoxy. i’ll be pissed if he lashes it up, took me ages

nickjb
    Free Member

i’ll be pissed if he lashes it up, took me ages

Surely that’s good. He’ll buy another from you and it’ll be a lot less work as you have all the files ready to go 🙂

smehrlich
    Free Member

Surely that’s good. He’ll buy another from you and it’ll be a lot less work as you have all the files ready to go 🙂

that would make sense if id charged him a decent price in the first place!! i modelled it, then he changed it and so had to redo it and then in total it took about 4 hours to run.
    i quoted him 80 quid and will wait for him to pay before telling him the next one wil be a bit heftier…

kayak23

theyre for a customer local to me who has no idea what he’s doing with epoxy. i’ll be pissed if he lashes it up, took me ages

😂
    Yeah £80 seems good value.

duncancallum

Enjoyed the mx5 blog @furious

kayak23

Bookcases in Oak and paint.
    Enjoyed making these. Been a while since I did any larger laminated panels such as in these quadrant doors, and got to practise painting with my £40 hvlp gun. Takes a bit of practise but pleased with the results.

FB-ATB

Stunning

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nice Kayak but why the front edging strip on the verticals?

Are the short verticals between the shelves all seperate pieces slotted in and the strip covers their edges?

Nice, just wondering about the reason.

Also, not totally sure about the curved handle cut outs. The top seems a little angular whereas the bottom is a smooth curve.

Yeah, I know it is better than anything I could do right now but everyone is a critic, right?

🙂

kayak23

Nice Kayak but why the front edging strip on the verticals?

The whole thing is made from 4 separate, tall units. Two outer quadrant sections and the two wider inner sections. Unified by a 50mm vertical cover strip which joins them and allows some cable routing.

More importantly, making it in 4 sections allows me to move it and work on it by myself. There’s just me 😊

Maybe you can see better here.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Was going to ask how it was lit after seeing the top photos, tidy work.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,441 through 3,480 (of 4,418 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.