• This topic has 4,407 replies, 728 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by kayak23.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,481 through 3,520 (of 4,408 total)
  • What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah, now that is smart. In both senses of the word.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks – I am as fascinated by the process and decisions made to get to the end result as the end result itself. Really helps me when I am trying to do stuff.

smehrlich
    Free Member

that is cracking. how did you then join the individual units together without seeing any fixings?

kayak23

that is cracking. how did you then join the individual units together without seeing any fixings?

Thank you 🙏

One wider unit is added to the base, then angle-screwed/pocket hole screwed at its sides into the base on 3 sides, then the next unit added, same again to the base, and flat metal plates to the tops and backs linking them both together, routed in flush, and so on until finally the grey top goes on and is screwed to all the units.
    The vertical strips at the front are biscuit jointed into each unit and tie them together up front.
    Two steel brackets tie it to the wall behind. 💪

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Does anybody else think they’ll post images of their meagre achievements, and then see Kayak’s work and think, nah, maybe I won’t?…
    Sensational craftsmanship!

scc999

Does anybody else think they’ll post images of their meagre achievements, and then see Kayak’s work and think, nah, maybe I won’t?…
    Sensational craftsmanship!

Yep.

I love seeing the stuff Kayak makes and then the description of the process or small details of construction – very inspiring.

kayak23

I’d hate to think that were true. This thread is the best thread ever! I love seeing the process and results of folks creativity, no matter what it is.

Believe me, there’s plenty of amazingly talented folks on this thread who hold skills I never could.
    It’s the only thread I can contribute to. I’m hopeless at the grown up ones.

Anyway, we always see our own faults. There’s loads wrong with it that I won’t point out 😂😉
    Every time I look at Instagram I see countless things that make me feel like I can’t do anything worthwhile…

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Yeah, but Instagram isn’t real though.

kayak23

No. 😂

smehrlich
    Free Member

mission, could mr kayak make a kayak?

FB-ATB

Could sure do with just 1% kayak’s skill. He wouldn’t miss it, but would be a significant improvement to my woodworking ability

stumpy01

creakingdoor
    Free Member

LOL. Yes.
    I recently made a free-standing shelf thing for our airing cupboard, having had the cylinder removed recently & a new boiler installed (moved from the kitchen to the airing cupboard).
    I thought of this thread & started taking pics of what I was doing to put on here.
    It was going to be a bit bodgy, but thought it would be relatively presentable. In reality it’s a god-awful mess. The more of it I assembled, the worse the fit became & the more cak-handed my DIY became.
    Now….it stands up & holds towels – so is a success of sorts, but I was tempted to smash it up & start again.

No Pics 🙂

TheDTs
    Free Member

To be fair, it isn’t a hobby for him, I do believe it’s his job!

Rich_s

Why do we never get particularly exciting pivot tables or lines of amusingly crafted code on this thread?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I thought of this thread & started taking pics of what I was doing to put on here.

Yeah, that.

Last round-the-house thing was a workbench for the shed. Made from leftovers of OSB (from building the actual shed) from which I made some kitchen unit style cabinets, and the cheapest worktop B&Q could send me (which was indeed cheap and nasty).

Functionally it’s great, I levelled up the worktop and took time about it. I even went as far as putting doors on the cabs.

Aesthetically, it is of course a complete disaster zone.

kayak23

To be fair, it isn’t a hobby for him, I do believe it’s his job!

It’s a hobby I turned into a job. I worked for others most of my career, then taught in a college for ten years. It’s only since the second half of 2018 I’ve actually been able to design and make my own things in return for money, and so it’s still new to me.

I’m shit at the business/books side of things, but making actual things is important for me and my erratic mental health.

Who cares what perceived ‘level’ creativity is at? All creativity, in this sea of negativity is great. Let’s see it!

As I say, woodworking is what I find myself doing, but this thread is jammed with incredible stuff that’s beyond my skill set.

Why do we never get particularly exciting pivot tables or lines of amusingly crafted code on this thread?

This…

BigJohn

This, I promised myself would be my last commission:

A study for a previous client

A study for a previous client

I made it harder than necessary, by this continuous bookcase

I made it harder than necessary with this continuous bookcase

But I (and the client) think it's turned out pretty well.

And the way it goes round all four walls without a break but I (and the client) think it’s turned out OK.

Murray

The handwheel on my mini lathe broke so I bought a large lump of aluminium and turned most of it into chips. This was my first use of a boring bar to bring the centre hole to size – went very well. I’m not quite so happy with the internal cone, done with the boring bar again. I had to use the compound at the extremes of its travel so it wasn’t very rigid. If anyone’s got any tips on how I could have done it better I’d appreciate them.

kayak23

@BigJohn Nice 👌

BigJohn

Your opinion matters 😍

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I made a large pavement pizza on Saturday night after we had a Mexican party. Nothing to do with the copious amount of ETOH I consumed, must have been one of Mexican dishes people brought. Yeah.

Slept well though, and made bacon n eggs in the morning. Ah the joy of getting mullered at home and not having to uber / train / caj a lift home/ and refreshed enough to have a few bottles of Peroni while I watched UFC. Sunday nights rock!!!

🙂

Rich_s

View post on imgur.com

45 mins with 2 pallets and a scorpion saw. For the school’s Christmas trail, themed reduce / reuse / recycle.

seadog101

If there was ever a thread on this forum that needs a like button it’s this one…

ctk
    Free Member

100%

Well done all

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was going to show a beautifully crafted set of coasters but that didn’t go quite to plan : https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-didnt-go-to-plan-glue-question/#post-12118309

Instead here is a painting I have just finished. Photo isn’t great but it is the profile of a young lady inside the profile of an older lady who has been battered by what the world throws at her.

sirromj

Okay, here’s the last BASH script I made:

#!/bin/bash
    recommend=5
    line=$(tac /var/log/pacman.log | grep -m 30 'pacman -Syu' | grep -v 'aurutils' -m1)
    t1=$(date +%s -d "${line:1:10}")
    t2=$(date +%s)
    days=$(((t2 - t1) / 86400))
    #case $days in 
    #  0 ) echo "System up to date!" ;;
    #  1 ) echo "System last updated yesterday." ;;
    #  * ) echo "System last updated $days days ago." ;;
    #esac
    if [[ $days -gt 2 ]]; then
      echo "System last updated $days days ago."
    fi
    if [[ $days -ge $recommend ]]; then
      echo "*** UPDATE RECOMMENDED ***"
    fi

Runs every time I open a terminal.

Merak

I’m nearly finished this. The body’s the hard part…

18bikes

@Furious was this at the Late Brake show live in Manchester?

FB-ATB

If there was ever a thread on this forum that needs a like button it’s this one…

Waiting for STW IT to contribute to this post with news of one!

Furious

@18bikes yes, that was me. A great day surrounded by lots of great cars

18bikes

@Furious wasn’t it just?! That’s my Nissan behind.

Here’s hoping there’s another next year!

vmgscot

Rather delighted with my peg basket…

tthew

I think I prefer the rustic prop to the peg basket.

dyna-ti

It’s worth the extra mileage. Nice table indeed.

kayak23

Made a couple of pin boards for a friend to give as Christmas presents.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will no doubt notice that they are representative of a cats head.

I’m more of a dog guy myself. Cats are pure evil.

thenorthwind

Put a new kitchen in this summer – not sure if the whole thing really counts as something I “made” as I designed and fitted it, but it was made in a factory in South Yorkshire, but this bit’s certainly close enough and is probably my favourite bit…

I’ve always wanted an easy way to get vegetable peelings, etc. out the way while preparing food, so I put this drawer under the worktop where it sticks over the end of the peninsular. It’s just a Gastronorm pan of the appropriate size, with some rails made from some oak offcuts from the kitchen joinery. I’ve recently added a handle, a bar for knocking out coffee from the portafilter, and sheet of stainless (from the bit of extractor chimney I didn’t use) on top, hidden here, to stop the moisture damaging the worktop above.

2021-11-29-11-43-37
    2021-11-29-11-43-49

colp

Just made a little guide for my angle grinder to do a load of straight cuts on some 20mm porcelain tiles.

tjagain

Due to my mate having a tree blown down got the opportunity to pretend I am McMoonter and stack some logs.  Rather chuffed with my townie self!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mMWPDb]logpile[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mN2gj5]logpile 2[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

kayak23

Made a shoe storage facility for a friend with birch ply, Oak and leftover Formica.

Rich_s

kayak23 had best be careful – my mcmoonter mancrush is in danger of swapping its target! 😁

That right hand, top corner of the bench is just a lovely thing 😍

Viewing 40 posts - 3,481 through 3,520 (of 4,408 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.