Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • What’s the last thing you fixed?
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Dishwasher top rack wasn’t going back in, turned out the front wheel on one side had snapped off its hub. Luckily we had a spare wheel on the other side so that’s sorted that problem out.

FB-ATB

Just fixed the power socket in the shed. It had a built in RCD but has been buzzing, so swapped it for a plain double front I had spare.

Also fixed a Perspex pane in the greenhouse door and started dismantling the decking hand rails ready for re-attaching.

Still only a minor dent in the list of jobs!

marrv
    Free Member

Lots due to lockdown.
    Last was my 1980’s Tamiya Hornet.
    It lived until kids reversed it into the pond! Gutted

cloudnine
    Free Member

Got given a Honda engined lawn mower about 2 months ago that’s been sat in the shed that the previous owner had sat in their garage a few years. Ordered a new plug, stripped the carbs and cleaned them.

Tadaaaa! Got to love honda engined. As long as you keep oil in them they are awesome.

Flaperon

My rear wheel. Appalling creaking and groaning noise in the biggest cogs. Was expecting to find the free-hub mangled when I disassembled it, but problem solved instantly when I went to loosen the cassette lockring and thought “this seems much easier to undo than I expected”. D’oh.

Freehub in perfect condition, just added a couple of drops of sewing machine oil and put it back together.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheapo crap mountfield lawnmower that starts easy so wife can use it.

– governed spring had stretched so there was no return from full throttle when you came off choke so thing would rev to oblivion.

Adjusted the spring to apply just the right amount of tension
    Job done.

Then my neighbours sons disability trike had been butchered by a local shop and returned as “uneconomical repair” …..unsure if an actual shop or the gype in the village who thinks he’s a bike shop

It needs some BB bearings , a set of brake pads and some cables + a small weld on the mudguard stay.

Unsure what they were wanting to charge. Its a 650 quid mission space trike.

thenorthwind

The 15 year old Aldi DAB radio that I refuse to let die. My mum gave me it probably about 12 years ago when she broke something on it and bought a new one.

For the last couple of months the power button has been working about once every 20th go, and the volume buttons weren’t working at all (which means I basically haven’t heard anything on the radio because it comes on really quiet).

One of those rare jobs you put off for ages thinking it will be frustrating and ultimately unsuccessful, then wish you’d done it ages ago when it turns out to be simple. Re-soldered the dry joints on the power switch, and sprayed a bit of contact lube in the volume switches. Bit of hot melt glue to keep the physical buttons on the micro-switches, and it’s good as new (sort of).

stevextc
    Free Member

****-me … endless at the moment
    Most annoying was a leaking stopcock on the water coming in.
    Its a temp dodge at the moment but after removing the stopcock the olive on the compression joint had a big chips out of it.
    Staggeringly annoying..as its done thousands of damage no sign of the chips coming off inside so I can only conclude the previous owner stuck a damaged olive in.

I’m now fixing rotten joists … getting rid of mould .. removing floor in next room to replace all floorboards.. all for a single olive!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Tidying up after some cowboys replaced a step. I call this the drob bolt fix.

Fixin’

View this post on Instagram

Fixin'

A post shared by Joshua Alcock (@joshvegas) on

nofx
    Free Member

The dishwasher. We had a kitchen fitted in January, the blokes who fitted it didn’t bother making a hole for the dishwasher outlet pipe & just routed it between the cabinet & sink ,so dirty water was going back into the machine. So I made a hole at the right height ,fed the outlet pipe through it & hey presto, the dishwasher ain’t getting back flow 😊

white101

Replaced some guttering on the summerhouse, sorted out a couple of loose fence panels, now emptying the garden shed (which in itself has produced more work to fix/bodge)

fossy

Replaced rear hub bearings on the FS, then replaced all the frame bearings too. Next was the front anti-roll bar drop links on the missus car. Aided by getting a butane torch – made getting the ruddy nuts undone a doddle.

Northwind

Just did a bit of plastic welding on my cordless vacuum- it’d jammed then broken off at the bit where it unscrews to empty it out, so it wouldn’t stay together properly. Just a quick and ugly soldering iron job, barely needed any rod, seems at least as strong as original

fossy
    Subscriber

Aided by getting a butane torch – made getting the ruddy nuts undone a doddle.

What is it specifically about ARB links? They rust like nothing else in the world, even OE ones. So annoying.

hotstuff
    Free Member

Dismantled the speakers on the Sunday hifi and ordered new foam surrounds for the woofers. Pretty much nothing left of the old ones but at 40 years old I suppose they’ve done ok.
    New speaker cable and din plugs coming as well so that’ll be me back to proper volume listening.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Fixed the steam valve on my built in coffee maker.

The steam/water wand has been dripping and then running water out, eventually to the point that there wasn’t enough pressure going in to the coffee holder to get a brew out.

No instruction manuals available. No spare parts available.

Brass screw type valve with a taper that goes into a hole to control and stop flow. Pitted and gouged taper, fixed by spinning it up in electric drill and re surfacing on various grades of wet and dry paper.

Stopped the drip, and now holds full pressure again so I can have decent coffee again.

colp

Feeling super manly as I welded the broken seat on our multi gym – with a real welder!
    Bought it in Aldi a year or two ago and never got around to trying it. Now I’m prowling around looking for stuff to weld

oldtennisshoes

The Honda mower story has inspired me.
    I’ve 2 chainsaws and a hedge trimmer to empty stale fuel out of blow through the carbs and fit new spark plugs to. The chainsaws haven’t been used in 3 years as we no longer have wood burner. May as well get them ready to sell.

hot_fiat

Replaced the heated mirrors on our bathroom cabinet. They’d started to corrode a while ago and so a quick mail to illuminated mirrors & I had some replacements sent under warranty.

They’ve been lurking in the corner of our bedroom for a while now, with mrs_fiat seemingly constantly enquiring how long they were going to be there. Upon opening the packaging the delivery note had a date stamp: November 2017. Oops!

willard

Husqvarna no. 10 coffee/grain mill (kaffekvarn).

Found in the shed of the house when we bought it a year and a half ago and was just sat there. So, took it apart, wire wheeled a load of parts, lube a few parts, did a lot of brushing and made a new handle for it. The grind is coarse (it had been used previously for milking flour judging buy the wheat kernels), but still allows you to make decent coffee.

bigblackshed

One of the garden solar spotlights stopped working over winter. Didn’t hold out much hope of repairing it tbh. Took the casing apart and found one of the battery terminal cables was pinched between two parts of the casing. Rust all over the terminal, whilst cleaning it up I snapped the cable tag off the terminal plate. Gas soldering iron out and all back together.

A day out in the sun today to recharge the battery, hey presto, illuminated plum tree tonight.

FB-ATB

A day out in the sun today to recharge the battery, hey presto, illuminated plums tonight

😲

stanfree
    Free Member

I built a high class B&M bargains coat rack today. Over tightened one of the bolts and it was a bit shady but held 5 coats. My wife came in and gave it a good push to which it split right down the middle. I gave a ‘FFS’ and rolled my eyes .
    Some wood glue and cable ties and it MIGHT just hold a light cardigan tommorrow.

scuttler

Had a dabble with a sewing machine buried in the cupboard. Bike shorts and BBQ cover fixed so far.

kayak23

I won’t say I’ve fixed it as I’ve not painted it black yet, but I’ve got some real gnarly rust on the tailgate of my van. Been tackling it today. Quite daunting taking the glass out and all… 😳

garage-dweller

3 punctures and none of them were on my bike. 2 for Mrs G-d and 1 for micro G-d (also mech hanger and rear mech). All since yesterday. 🙄

jamj1974

I fixed a toilet seat in the family bathroom – which no one had told me was loose.

I could save myself a lot of hassle and sometimes money – if people said when things were starting to have issues. Rather than waiting until they break…

Scapegoat

eBay bargain bass guitar- an Encore 4 that was advertised as needing a new string cos one had broken when he was cleaning it. It arrived yesterday and bugger me it was filthy. All the hardware had rust on it, the fretboard was covered in grease and grime, the nut chipped, the bridge/tail rusted solid, pickguard with suspicious looking patches of gunk.

SO, happy few hours stripping it to component parts…. even the pickup covers were covered in gunk. Not going to guess what it was but I suspect someone has puked on it at some stage. Thorough clean all over with alcohol, solvent and various other things. Pots soaked with switch cleaner. Frets all polished and smoothed, fingerboard smoothed and oiled, most of the rust from saddles and adjusters removed, but the bridge is beyond salvation….replacement ordered. I strung it to make sure it plays, which it does, decent tone but a bit of fret buzz as the action is a bit high – I’ll set it up properly when the new nut and bridge/saddles have been fitted. I’ve also ordered new pickguard screws. Happy days. I’ve nicknamed it my biohazard bass.

kayak23

I fixed a toilet seat in the family bathroom – which no one had told me was loose.

I could save myself a lot of hassle and sometimes money – if people said when things were starting to have issues. Rather than waiting until they break…

Did you not pick it up in your weekly walk-around?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

View this post on Instagram

The Beer Jesus becomes a carpenter

A post shared by Craig Turner (@iamthebeerjesus) on

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Proper man stuff:

4 cushion covers.

Lots of pop stud type things had been pulled out by the two offspring “sitting quietly” on the cushions (read, whacking each other on the head with them when nobody was looking). Dug out needle and thread and sewed nine of those bad boys back in place.

Took all evening; my sewing stinks.

Kuco

I don’t know whether it counts but just replaced the dead battery in my Macbook Air. Hopefully don’t have to keep moving the power supply lead around now.

Was kinda of dreading it after hearing that Apple glued the battery in but mine wasn’t, but it was really simple to do. The hardest part is carefully unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in.

sadexpunk

well its been the best part of two weeks and its still going now, so i think i can officially call it fixed. much to my wifes pleasure i dont think 😀

oldtennisshoes

1 out of 2 chainsaws back up and running. The 1 still broken probably needs a carb overhaul.
    1 petrol hedge trimmer up and running again too.
    1 garden table built using an off cut of oak worktop varnished. It now looks too good to be a piece of garden furniture 🥴

woody2000

Fixed my petrol chainsaw today, just in time to take down a decent sized conifer.  Fuel pipe had split so it was cutting out, replaced it with a brake bleeding pipe 🙂

tthew

Not checked in here for a few days, @sadexpunk, I can’t belive she doesn’t like it, it’s a really lovely looking clock. Pleased you got it running.

fettlin
    disben

Fixed our spare bedroom PVC windows. Hinges had come loose from the frame, so drilled out the old rivets and put new ones in. 30 min job with the right tools – would have cost £100 plus to get someone out to do it!

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘What’s the last thing you fixed?’ is closed to new replies.