Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What is the helmet du jour?
  • jordyboy
    Free Member

I took a bit of the tumble to the head recently and think it’s time for a new one.
    I was previously using a bell super 3r, which I bought for the detachable chin bar. In my head it was a great idea, can’t say I truly used it that much in reality.
    Bell have offered a 30% discount, but the new helmets still seem fairly pricy.
    Is there a go to helmet these days I should be looking at?

footflaps

I’m currently wearing a Planet-x Carnac special, amazing value, super light and really like the fit. £30 for mine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fit is the factor du jour, always has been.

razorrazoo

To be honest over the last 2-3 years helmets seem to have doubled in price for the higher end models, especially if you want the latest colour so can’t shop previous years. Bell are pretty much in line with this so 30% off rrp isn’t bad but you may be able to find the same cheaper shopping around.  I currently have a Sixer I found reduced last year, build quality is very good.

Can’t say I see one brand being more dominant on the trails than any other these days.

High cost is the same with roadie models too.

brads
    Free Member

As above.

The one that fits best. I have a Giro shaped heed.

Saccades
    Free Member

100% Altec – comfiest helmet ever and manages to hide the size of my enormous noggin.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve just bought two kali helmets from my lbs. A standard one for road and a mtb one with something similar to  “mips” little rubber things that act as shock absorbers apparently.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/helmets/road-cycling-helmets/kali-therapy-helmet-review/

Not particularly expensive, especially as I got some discount. Looks good, feels good, decent weight and I got to try them on first.

My opinion is they all pass British standards and you hope never to need to use it. If it fits your head and doesn’t make you look stupid then it doesn’t matter what the brand is.

I’ve bought expensive helmets in the past and probably used it longer than I should have done becuase it was so expensive. But you sweat in them and the sun beats down on them and you really should replace them even if they look fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at the Bell Four Forty.

Love mine. It’s got MIPS, it’s not too hot and it’s great for wearing with goggles. You can tilt the visor up and park them below it.

Would buy again.

cynic-al
    Free Member

But you sweat in them and the sun beats down on them and you really should replace them even if they look fine.

Keep believing what the people that profit from helmet sales tell you.

moonsaballoon

I got a met roam before Christmas which is comfy , not to hot and a bit lighter than my old bell four forty . The main reason I got it though was it seemed to be the only size large helmet left in the country.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Planet X

I paid £15 for mine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What is the helmet du jour?’ is closed to new replies.