Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What is the go to good value thin flat pedal at the mo
  • convert

Inspired by the Crank Brothers Stamp 7 review on this site at the moment I remembered I’m still owed a pair of Superstar Evo pedals. As it doesn’t look like they will be manufactured any time soon, I think I’m going to cancel my order.

So what’s the go to pedal for someone wanting a nice thin pedal for their big size 11 feet for slightly more sane money than the Crank Brothers £160?

seriousrikk

I’ve been pretty happy with my OneUp aluminium pedals which I know were considerably less than £160 – although I bet they have gone up since I bought them.

Nice thin pedal, decent size platform. Main downside is it’s quite hard to adjust ones foot position without taking a bit of weight off.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Crank Brothers Stamp 11.

334g or thereabouts

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

After Crank Brothers clipless pedals I’m going nowhere near their flats 🙄, I’d actually like to finish a ride with them still attached to the axles.

I’ve got some HT AE-01 (branded as Da’bomb IIRC) which seem to have lasted better than I expected for ‘cheap’ pedals.

rossburton
    Free Member

I actually quite like my Gusset composite pedals. They’re a nice bright colour (black also available), sensible pins, good price, etc.

tmays
    Free Member

I’ve got a few pairs of Burgtec penthouse composites and have found them as good as any other pedals i’ve owned, which considering their price is a no-brainer. They’re really easily serviced too.

FOG

Not much help I realise but the Superstar Evos required far too much maintenance. They were fine when working properly but needed new bearings and bushes far too often.

scaredypants

I think spesh boomslang are pretty good and sometimes you can find them at a discount

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Carder tenfour
    UK made and simply thee best pedals I have placed my feet on.
    You will not regret it honestly they are that good

zerocool

My shoes are 10.5 and I’m using the Mk5 Burgtec Penthouse flats. They replaced a pair of MK 1s which I think replaced a pair of Easton Cully’s.

Loving the new ones.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Mmmm Easton Cully’s – still got a set in my spares box. Best feeling flat pedal ever.

the00
    Free Member

I have used expensive pedals, including crappy Cranks Brother’s ones.

Nothing has bettered the performance of these:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/bc-basic/Platform-Pedals-p72557/

Ben_Haworth

What do you call ‘thin’?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Though I’ve had plenty of shockers from cheap chinese pedals, including axles snapping and bearings seizing after just one ride, I can heartily recommend these; thin, lightweight, grippy, low maintenance and bombproof:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002144508761.html

Bigmantrials

I have the Crank brothers stamp and they have been great, although I have recently moved them to my trials bike. I fitted slightly longer pins in mine.

I now have the Unite pedals on the mtb, I got a set of 2nd’s with some visual blemishes, they have been very comfortable for my size 11 feet.

binman

Nukeproof horizon work for me, but I don’t think you would class them as thin.

Easy / cheap to service.

doomanic

Currently using Spesh Bennies, which seem to have more grip that NP Horizons, but again I wouldn’t call them thin.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a pair of these for a couple of months and they’ve been faultless so far…

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dmr-v11-flat-mountain-bike-pedals-exclusive/rp-prod210028?gs=1&sku=sku857452&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7KqZBhCBARIsAI-fTKIkINYMPm56DL47ZFBBRJzJNq4z5yQr96OJp0PryqHAdyUsr10-YRUaAuBUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very good shape and feel for my size 10s. Pins all still in place (where I expected to have lost a couple).

Long term durability of bushings/bearings TBC obvs.

nickc

Another vote for the On One aluminium pedal. Used for a couple of years, still solid, agree with comments regarding moving your feet about though.

adamr28
    Free Member

HT Nano PA03. Seriously. Yes, they are cheap, but the set I had outlasted Stamp 11s, Garmin Rally AND ME01s – combined – and are still going on a mate’s bike! Cheap, light, strong: one product that can tick them all.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Any composites. I’ve had Nukeproof and Raceface, both have been excellent at an equally excellent price point.

continuity
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

As much as I like bling, £300 for a set of flat pedals is not value.

OP: a secondhand lightly used set of Hope 20’s?

chakaping
    Free Member

HT Nano PA03. Seriously.

These look really good actually.

Was it HT that made the classic Superstar Nanos (and clones)? They lasted years without servicing, unlike the UK-made versions.

rudedog
    Free Member

Can’t see past nukeproof electrons – tough, light, thin and cheap! Also, because they are nylon, the wear much better than painted pedals.

£25 on CRC

Northwind

@chaka, yup, HT made Nanos and Exotics and probably a good proportion of everything else in this thread. PA03 isn’t really thin tbh, but it’s very good.

benpinnick

HT Nano PA03

These. Not only are they a great shape, they’re HT which is also a good thing (as are the gussets mentioned before) but in suiting your question they’re also quite thin for a composite pedal. Doesn’t make them thin by alu standards, but they’re not bulky.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.