Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What if we had a union of bicycle purchasers?
  • wynne
    Free Member

I am personally going to boycott crc/wiggle over a mis-described warranty. Doubt it’ll make any real difference to them. They don’t seem to care that i’ve spent thousands of pounds with them over the years and i’m sure plenty of other people – like me until i had a problem with them – will gladly carry on hoovering up heavily discounted kit.

But i was just wondering what would happen if we could all boycott them for, say, a month, sending an email to them to inform them of your decision.

We could also do for other issues which we judge to be unreasonable – lifetime frame warranties that are rejected etc etc

Does anyone think this might work? Would you join?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No and no.

tomhoward

What nobeer said

cookeaa

Just vote with your wallet like everyone else and stop clogging up the interwebz with whinging…

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Boycott a company because someone on the internet I never met said they had a bad warranty experience with them? Nope.

Poopscoop

Op, I get where you are coming from and there have been occasions where on ethical/ moral grounds campaigns have taken off online.

I think it would be harder to do for the likes of bike retailers though as the same moral imperative won’t be there for most people.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mis described or misread, a good chunk of the whinging online comes from people Mis reading stuff or reading more into a warrenty than there is.

wynne
    Free Member

It’s not a whinge, just trying to gauge if there is any collective will stand up to something unreasonable. I wouldn’t expect ‘help’ for every small dispute and i guess everyone seeking collective help would have to make their case. Could even be interesting.

My issue:
    Bought haven wheels from crc sold with ‘no questions asked warranty’ in 2016. Cracked front rim. Returned to crc for warranty – refused. Told by crc that Easton stopped offering NQA warranty in 2014. Ask why crc are still selling the same wheel today with the same advertised NQA warranty. No reply. They’re behaving in a way that is incompetent, unethical and possibly fraudulent. Sure people will say suck it up, vote with your wallet etc. I agree and i’m not losing sleep over this… just wondered whether it was inevitable that i simply suck up their lousy marketing spuff.

epicyclo

I’m with the wallet voters.

The best revenge is never complain, just don’t go back.

baboonz
    Free Member

I´d keep pestering them the case on the wheels. With big companies I find the best way is to complain complain and keep complaining to them-that is if you have a case.

Akers

OP, Do you have anything in writing regarding the lifetime warranty? The current CRC page says 2 year NQA Warranty.
    Have you tried contacting Easton direct? They maybe able to help.
    Doesn’t help that they no longer make MTB wheels, but I imagine the Raceface ones are the same product rebranded, as are a lot of their components since they realigned the brands.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

It is an interesting point. I try not to give my money to companies that do things I find objectionable but in most cases they will never know I’m not buying from them for a reason (or two, or several). They won’t change until enough people stop spending their money there. Even then, it seems that there are enough new customers to keep them going.
    Leaving a bad review seems to be your only hope but many sites simply “disappear” genuinely poor reviews.

wynne
    Free Member

Cromolyolly that’s basically what i’m getting at. Companies with poor customer service get away with it because people walk away, fail to complain or just find that when they try they have no luck/chance because big companies weasle out.

I haven’t got the specific marketing details that my wheels were sold with but i do know for a fact they were sold to me with a 2 year NQA warranty. It wasn’t a lifetime warranty but i did return them with 2 years.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I tend to do a screen grab of stuff when I buy it online

I have to be honest – with crc/ wiggle I kind of expect things like that from them. Years ago you used to get people saying that they bought Shimano kit that came in a recycled sandwich bag because it was bike makers excess orders, which they never used to say in the website. If you bought retail it would come with adapters -theirs didn’t etc. They are cheap but I do my best not to buy there.
    They aren’t the only ones. There is a frame maker (rhymes with, well nothing actually) that sells prototypes on PB. No specs, no Geo, no sizing info and if you ask about the it’s 50-50 if you get a response. People buy them though, and their new stuff.
    This sort of stuff is rare in the US because consumers there won’t out up with it. They will never stop complaining and will do everything they can to spread the word far and wide.
    Problem with a union is people have different tolerances. Some people in your situation would just shrug and say “it was cheap and crc” and by another one. Different strokes I guess
    I hope you do get resolution though, it always leaves a bad taste when you don’t get fair treatment (btw have you tried Easton? Aren’t they American?)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What if we had a union of bicycle purchasers?’ is closed to new replies.