Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What have you fettled today?
  • dknwhy

Got some new Jones bars this week so had a little ride this morning to test them out and then decided to finally take the 1 x 10 plunge and fit the narrow wide ring that I’ve had for over a month, along with a shadow plus rear derailleur.
    I’m a useless bike mechanic so am pretty pleased with myself!

Looking forward to a ride tomorrow to test it all out…

What new bits have you put on today?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

New bike put together! (Orange Rx9). Needed some 700cc tubes so drove the 15minutes to my LBS, picked up tubes, spent 1hr chatting then drove home.
    Only to realise I picked up the wrong valve type. (Doh).

righog
    Free Member

No fettling yet but i did clean the bike straight after my ride, which is nice a pretty unheard of….Did notice that I rekon the chain could lose a link or 2.

cp

half built the new commuter…

leftyboy
    Free Member

Nothing yet but later or maybe tomorrow I need to rotate the bars on my HT forward a touch and slide the saddle back a touch. Non-fettling is swapping the non-tubeless (got a sidewall tear) rear for a new tire – not fettle more essential?

mindmap3
    Free Member

New pads in the big bike and a few tweaks on bolts etc ready for riding tomorrow. Finally fitted my offset bushing last night too.

pickle
    Free Member

My 31 year old BMX ready for a ride around central London tomorrow

Stoner
    Free Member

New trainer tyre on the wife’s turbo’d TT bike. A grim inspection of her SS winter trainer that’s looking very shabby. So as luck would have it, PX have taken another 35% off their cheap aluminium bikes, so have ordered one for £450 for her.

Cleaned up a pompetamine f&f I have for sale, and trued some CX wheels that might go with it.

Repaired Mrs stoners catlike helmet frame too. Might do something for me later…

yunki
    Free Member

The stabilisers came off yunki Jr’s bike today, went back on for a bit then came back off and stayed off!
    Seat went up on yunki Jr MKII’s balance bike..

A very rewarding morning 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Replaced an internal reverb hose (new bike exits on the opposite side…..means the old hose was 2″ too short 👿 ).
    Rebuilt a set of 36’s.
    Rebuilt a set of Elixirs.
    Rear hub swap (wheel rebuild).

lunge

Clean up and rebuild of my summer bike this morning, nothing new on it but given it a bit of love. Debating putting some white bar tape on it next.

blader1611
    Free Member

I have stripped down a sealed bearing cartridge from my headset but alas its still rough and grumbling, guess i am going to have to get the crow bar out on the wallet!

DrT
    Free Member

Does tiling the kitchen count as fettling?

stayhigh

Began stripping bike down ready for a rebuild. Nothing fancy as such, going 1×10 then changing cranks and brakes. Have got new wheel bearings and headset on the way too.

Klunk
    Free Member

tighten the chain on the singlespeed.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just fitted new Chromag Hi-fi V2 50mm stem and lovely bling carbon Chromag Cutlass bars from John at Shorelines.
    Bought on sale both half price!

mudmonster
    Free Member

Refitted my thomson dropper after it came back from servicing and put a new cable in. Bleeding the front brake now.

drlex
    Free Member

Cleaned and regreased front wheel bearings after playing submarine commander in the floods last month.

proutster
    Free Member

Finished changing all of the pivot bearings on my old Reign in preparation for trying to sell it next month

wonnyj
    Free Member

Dusted off my rod. And did some fishing.

Northwind

Inexplicably needed about 4 goes at sorting the headset in my commuter. One new bearing and all the rest of it was about me misfitting seals.

Also fixed a toy gun for next door’s kid, who now treats me like I’m a wizard.

fettlin

Picked up some new brakes from LBS today so they need fitting. Need to swap saddles around, fit some offset bushings…..

But sat in the warm watching the box, with a big fat dose of CBA.

flashes
    Free Member

I finally sorted the rear brake on my “new” build, so chain on, forks fitted, after hacksawing the steerer, front brake fitted, headset, bars, fitted and all done up…..so my Karate Monkey is done, it’s blowing a gale and hissing down, so the inaugural ride will have to wait…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Changed the spring on a coil shock on a new (to me) frame.

Wasn’t an easy job but will be next time now I’ve sussed out the particular technique required.

righog
    Free Member

Well I shortened that chain ^^^ and a mate came round with a new bottom bracket, for which I had sent him the link. having a wee bit of trouble fitting it when he causally mentions it’s an Italian thread….Mmmmm

Luckily I had some bits lying around my parts bin that got him mobile 😳

Cowman

Serviced the primus omni fuel. Always enjoy sorting out all the kit on a crap day.

prawny

Bought a seat post rack to try on the commuter/best/only road bike, so that’s been screwed together and stuck on today. Also bodged the cheap rack bag I got to go with it to be a bit more secure and quicker to fit and remove. Seems pretty successful using an old bungee hook.

brooess
    Free Member

Swapped my singlespeed to fixed and managed to get chain tension ok and wheel in straight, which is harder than you think…
    And managed to ride 16 miles without forgetting to keep pedalling 🙂

And put stans into my tubes to keep commuting punctures at bay

trail_rat
    Free Member

changed the sump and the exhaust on the van.

The cruel north east salt has eaten both….

then i went out on the road bike.

GJP
    Free Member

I noticed the LBS had 20% off servicing so gave them a call and all booked in for tomorrow, for a strip down. Spent the remainder of the afternoon watching Emilia Fox in an old season of silent witness. fettling you say …

FOG

Greased headset and replaced front gear cable . I was all set to go 1x, my front shifting was so bad. However a £2.99 cable and some grease seems to have restored easy gear changes.

brant
    Free Member

Terrible screeching noise from offside front wheel appeared whilst driving to Wallings Ice-creams, sounded properly awful. Removed front wheel and waggled disc brake shroud about a bit and a piece of flint dropped out. Delighted.

brant
    Free Member

Inexplicably needed about 4 goes at sorting the headset in my commuter. One new bearing and all the rest of it was about me misfitting seals.

The old “forks wrong way round” thing again? That was you wasn’t it?

maxtorque

Attacked a perfectly good e13 chain device with a hacksaw to make it fit my new bike……..

(turns out, oval rings and bikes designed to be 1by only require a specific shaped top retainer system)

grahamt1980

Changed a rear tyre on one bike. Changed the headset on one of my wife’s bikes. Need to get my forks back from tf and offset bushings and an Angleset to turn up so i can rebuild the dh bike. Got a couple of wheels took build too

honourablegeorge

Put tubeless goo in my new tyres, put the retainine bolt and clip that I found on the workbench back in my front brake, converted a set of wheels to 20mm for a mate.

yossarian
    Free Member

New bars, stem and saddle went on today. Bit of extra sealant in the rear tyre then a little poodle around to check how it all feels. Saddle is awesome, one those cut out selle italia jobbies, so comfortable.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Been giving my Silca Super Pista floor pump a bit of TLC.
    Stripped the old varnish from the wooden handle & re-sealed it, cleaned up the washers & the brass nut with some fine steel wool & re-greased all the innards.
    Next I’ll be stripping the base down & seeing if I can get the pressure gauge to work again.

Anybody have one of these with the white threaded plastic gizmo above the leather washer?
    Mine has been broken for years & held together with electrical tape. The rebuild kits don’t have these, just giving a large washer for the top, so I’m guessing I can bin the plastic part & replace with a suitable size washer?

MP2484
    Free Member

Washed the filthy singlespeed and indexed the gears on the full sus.

Successful day I call that

Northwind

Cleared about 50 branches and logs off a local trail, that some **** had put there. They’ll put them back and I’ll take them off again, it’s the circle of life. Ironically, while doing this, ended up clearing off an alternative line to get round a muddy spot too.

Also made a start on clearing off a big fallen tree, and made it easier to get past in the meantime. Need to get back up with the mansaw and remove the big bits (and, annoyingly, either chop them into a million pieces or drag them far enough away that stick**** doesn’t just put them back)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What have you fettled today?’ is closed to new replies.