Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • What have you done to oppose evil recently?
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I know a lot of people don’t like the present government but evil?? Seriously? Try living in some other parts of the world and I think you’ll see what evil is.

Alot of the evil in other parts of the world is funded by the present (and past) UK Government… from drone strikes, to weapon sales, to funding of ‘private military contractors’ to destabilize countries, there is a wealth of tax funded nasty business going on.

What have I done about it? What little I can as an individual by trying to inform others, in the hope that sufficient impetus causes a change in societies perception of the propaganda which we are fed.

Oh, and I started using http://flagger.io/ to mess with those cheeky underhanded peeps in GCHQ/NSA

Northwind

I have repeatedly posted the definition of “remove” in a thread.

Oh and today I picked up a sign that had fallen off a tree, and put it back up, so that… hmm… either people can tell what sort of tree it is, or possibly, I got the wrong tree and a generation will grow up thinking turnips are a hundred feet tall, who knows really? Can’t speak latin. Take that evil!

bencooper
    Free Member

Went and spent a couple of hours tidying up our local park – like I do every Sunday. That hawthorn hedge was definitely evil.

Spin
    Free Member

The only people in Britain who are really taking action against evil are the young British Muslims who join terrorist / extreme islamist groups.

Now there’s a hefty bit of moral relativism for you.

mightymule
    Free Member

I recently supported a teenage girl in getting her abuser put in jail for a very long time. I think that probably comes under the heading of opposing evil.

I also strenuously opposed the (evil) cat’s evil plan to eat my chinese takeaway this evening.

bearnecessities

Yesterday I helped a lady in Asda that was struggling to control a particularly troublesome shopping trolley.

The brake was half on. Pure evil.

1. Spent another week not eating animal products and supporting this evil.

2. Posted a picture of a battery farm on a mountain bike forum to “raise awareness” of the evil that goes almost unchallenged amongst us, even though I’ll probably get accused of being preachy for it.

Sandwich

Migrating all my on-line activity away from Google. Letting the Virginmedia email address go fallow as well.

jamj1974

kennyp – Member
    So no one has joined Amnesty or anything like that, or contacted foreign governments to try and get them to change their laws or to release political prisoners?

Apparently I couldn’t join twice and already take part in their campaigns…

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Found a wallet with €150 in it, in addition to ID card driving licence and pictures of offspring. Called the owner and returned it.

Not exactly saving the world, more fighting the evil voice shouting YOURS YOURS on seeing all those 20s.

kennyp
    Free Member

We’re waiting for yours KennyP?

Harsh reality is that I’ve done very little and posing the question has made me realise that.

kennyp
    Free Member

2. Posted a picture of a battery farm on a mountain bike forum to “raise awareness” of the evil that goes almost unchallenged amongst us, even though I’ll probably get accused of being preachy for it.

Not by me you won’t. Good one.

kennyp
    Free Member

The only people in Britain who are really taking action against evil are the young British Muslims who join terrorist / extreme islamist groups.

Now there’s a hefty bit of moral relativism for you.

That’s actually a very interesting take on it. Hadn’t struck me before.

kennyp
    Free Member

Are you on a wee bit of a crusade here kennyp?

No. It started off as a bit of a thing against people who post things on bike forums but don’t do anything else. Then I realised I was as guilty as anyone else of that. Made me think a bit about myself as much as anything.

Drac

Harsh reality is that I’ve done very little and posing the question has made me realise that.

I bet you have well all do small acts of kindness everyday.

I saved some animals from going to waste by eating some sausages.

wiggles
    Free Member

Anyone else fancy some chicken nuggets all of a sudden?

Spin
    Free Member

Hadn’t struck me before

I teach History and Geography but my former boss was a Modern Studies teacher (Scottish equivalent of politics roughly if you don’t know).

We were talking about the International Brigade in the Spanish Civil war and I said ‘who is filling that role today’. By which I meant they feel so strongly about an issue in a foreign country that they would go there to fight and die if necessary. He suggested young British Muslims like I did in response to you.

bearnecessities

I thought battery hens were banned in UK as of last year?

scotroutes

Nah.

But I could murder an omelette

Drac

2012 I think.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If you can’t actively oppose evil you can at least try to counter it by doing good.

samuri
    Free Member

I know a lot of people don’t like the present government but evil?? Seriously? Try living in some other parts of the world and I think you’ll see what evil is.

Fair enough they don’t carry out (obvious) mass killings of the population but I’d rate ‘selling off the NHS’ as borderline evil. It’s a thing of beauty and they’re destroying it for personal profit. If Cameron came round shaking hands I’d spit on his.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Made her wash up

scaredypants

Jesus Christ, that’s harsh – they’re not even immigrants, are they ? Or is it because they’re sponging off benefits ?

stavromuller
    Free Member

I started a campaign to get Steve Peat selected to be the Star in a reasonably priced car in order to thwart the evil Clarkson, so get on twitter and facebook to spread the word.

jamj1974

Fair enough they don’t carry out (obvious) mass killings of the population but I’d rate ‘selling off the NHS’ as borderline evil. It’s a thing of beauty and they’re destroying it for personal profit. If Cameron came round shaking hands I’d spit on his.

Agree with you, but I wouldn’t spit on him.

samuri
    Free Member

I saw that but I suspect if you achieve your wish it’ll just turn into another publicity stunt for Clarkson. He’s not really anti-cycling, he’s just pro-contraversy.

The picture on the plane was a bit much mind. I thought that would see him in trouble but it seems not. I posted my own version to him but he declined to comment.

samuri
    Free Member

Agree with you, but I wouldn’t spit on him.

I’m hoping he burns. Like a witch.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

paulmgreen – Member

I’ve been to church.
    I thought the thread was about opposing evil not supporting it

Now there’s a hefty bit of moral relativism talkinmg bollocks for you. terrorist/extreme islamist groupls are as evil and stupid as every other extremist superstion based groups who use the weak-minded and easily led to further the power hungry obsessions of their leaders.

kennyp
    Free Member

terrorist/extreme islamist groupls are as evil and stupid

I agree, however the reality, sad though it may be, is that they don’t think that way. To be willing to give up your life for a cause must mean they consider they are fighting what they see as us being evil. In a daft and stupid way I almost respect them and pity them in equal measure. It’s the people who indoctrinate them I feel most hatred for.

That might sound like I’m condoning terrorism. I’m not. What I am doing, hopefully, is condemning the people who are moulding the minds of people younger and more innocent into believing that killing themselves, and others, is in some way an act of goodness. As regards the actual suicide bombers, much as I hate what they are doing, I do feel sympathy for people so young and so innocent being misled by people, getting back to the evil motif, who are evil.

_tom_
    Free Member

MTG thanks for reminding me I’ve ran out of eggs and chicken breasts.

gordimhor

From Lionel Mcclellands song The SIlent Majority
    There’s a moral to the story that I’m about to tell
    When you take a look around you to see that all is well
    Just because you’re cozy
    Don’t think the world is rosy
    Some people in this world have gone through hell
    And the silent majority stayed silent
    While the despots murdered millions world wide
    And tyrannical purveyors of injustice
    Make the law then claim the law is on their side

In Thirty Three in Germany when Hitler came to play
    Liberty was gradually eroded day by day
    Till they gassed and shot deserters
    While the decent people cowered
    And thought the things they never dared to say
    While they rounded up the democrat and Jew
    For the Fatherland they murdered children’s fathers
    Who’s only crime was saying what was true

In seventy three in Chile workers marched to show their plight
    But the fascist few with guns and mortars showed them how to fight
    Then in Santiago stadium
    They tortured and they killed
    Till they’d smashed the opposition out of sight
    While democracy was crushed beneath their tanks
    They were murdered in the name of western freedom
    With the aid of planes donated by the Yanks

Then in Peking a million people gathered in the square
    Students workers wives and children, hope was in the air
    As they stood in peaceful protest
    They were massacred unarmed
    They annihilated hundreds that were there
    While they executed dozens in their name
    And the people’s army turned upon the people
    And corruption reigned supremely once again

South Africa, Cambodia, Great Britain and Iran
    Every nation state in history since history began
    Since the son of man was martyred
    To pay the price of sin
    I sometimes think our savior died in vain
    While they crucified the lamb upon a hill
    He was murdered in the name of religion
    And if Christ returned they’d crucify him still

Their propaganda twists the facts before your very eyes
    And with thin threads of truth they’ll weave their wicked webs of lies
    Like Jesus was a heretic
    And Caesar was a god
    And pity help who’d dare to criticize
    If the silent Majority stays silent
    Then the evil men will surely have their way
    Stem the tide before he deluge; that’s the moral
    If we don’t speak up we’ll all be swept away
    Lionel Mcclelland
    I donated to amnesty in support of pussy riot

pondo

Well I don’t like to be picky but those last two lines jar with the rest, rather.

crankboy
    Free Member

What have I done well professionally I “fight for truth and justice ” every day but I am only one cog in the system and part of a ballance. I also beloved that speaking up and arguing on the internet is actually very useful.

gordimhor

How so? Pondo

kimbers

im trying to raise my sons to be as tolerant and non judgemental as they can be

at 3 & 1 yrs old though they are probably a bit young to go and see The Long Walk to Freedom or 12 Years a Slave

Im currently filling out my teacher training application in the hope that a change of careers to teaching will give me the opportunity to thwart this evil ****

although im currently working in cancer/heart disease research which I suppose is fighting evil, but really its just biology

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some folk on another thread were making the point about “all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing”.

That was me that was

Outside of work , where i am paid to do it, very very little

Helped a homeless guy get shelter and a decent meal for the night recently

Couple of days charity work
    In reality I could do more
    I shall need to remedy that

molgrips
    Free Member

Define evil?

My contribution is limited to trying to get people to think about each other’s feelings and be nice. Seems to be working slightly 🙂

grum
    Free Member

– Regularly write letters to my MP and sign petitions
    – Work for a charity that aims to regenerate communities and improve the lives of disadvantaged young people through music
    – Buy most of my food (and lots of other stuff) from local independent shops and market stalls – locally sourced and ethically produced as much as possible
    – Do free work for a human rights charity
    – Try to challenge misinformation and prejudice wherever I see it, and encourage critical thinking

In fact I’m polishing my halo as we speak. 😉

I could do a lot more TBH.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Right, there you go. Sell some tat, stop slavery (well a bit of it maybe).

http://www.justgiving.com/biketatagainstslavery

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘What have you done to oppose evil recently?’ is closed to new replies.