Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What happens to Office 365 apps when I leave employer?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

As I mentioned on another thread, my Company is ceasing operations in the next few days.

I am expecting my notice any time.

Question is, what happens to the Office 365 apps installed on my laptop? It’s my personal machine and not work issued.

Obviously my works email account will stop functioning but what about Word, Excel etc? Will they lock up when the Office 365 subscription is halted?

ta11pau1

They’ll remove the licence for your O365 account (it’ll be registered to your email) and then you’ll see office ask you to sign in/it’ll show as a product with no licence, which means you’ll have limited features.

simon_g

They’ll go into reduced functionality mode – you can view and print docs but not create or edit. You’ll need to get your own subscription, £60/year for one device or £80/year for up to 6 people in one family.

Cougar

… or use the free versions online.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You’ll need to get your own subscription, £60/year for one device or £80/year for up to 6 people in one family.

I will probably just use Libre.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I got a handy discount on 365 through the Home Use Program before I left my last proper job.  Check if that is available to you if you want the full apps and storage.

convert

I might be in this position too at some point soon. I’m guessing onedrive documents might get lost as you flip between one account and the next…..need to backup just in case.

gobuchul
    Free Member

What happens to my One Drive folder?

Will the synced files still be accessible or will I have to copy to a new folder on my hard drive?

ta11pau1

If the onedrive account is on your work email then you’ll lose access to everything registered on that account, so yes you’ll need to move them.

If the docs are synced to your device though (not stored in the cloud) then they won’t get removed, the folder just won’t be synced to onedrive.

Shred
    Free Member

They might be encrypted though, so may not be accessible once the account is disabled

brassneck

Copy your OneDrive to an external HDD just in case. Home Use Program O365 is a good way to keep full access if you need too .. £60 a year for 5 people for me, including 1Tb of OneDrive… they don’t really query anything once its setup and you pay the renewal. Else copy off your data and use the free online versions till you have too have the full ones..

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info.

Copied my One Drive across, not a great deal of stuff anyway.

I might have a look on Sharepoint to see what’s worth grabbing. **** asset strippers have closed us down in 6 months.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What happens to Office 365 apps when I leave employer?’ is closed to new replies.