Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What gravel wheels?
  • ahsat

Should be picking up a Niner RLT 9 steel frameset next month (yep, not the Camino after all that!). Everything will move from my current cx bike except the wheels which are QR and super heavy. I’m 11.5 stone and not graceful but I’m yet to damage any wheel significantly.

What lightish/strongish 700 cc wheel for Yorkshire gravel and roads? The Niner can take up to a 50 mm tyre.

joepud
    Free Member

I have been running some gr-531 and teravail rutlands which have been ideal. Nice and wide too

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Something with wide internal rim width to make the 50mm and 28mm+ roadtyres sit nicely: Fulcrum Rapid Red 5 or Mavic Allroads

snotrag

We did this last week I think but I’ve just received my wheel parts ready from when my Caminoir arrives – XTR hubs bought BNIB off ebay, and I’ve gone for DT Swiss XR361 rims. Lighter than they ‘gravel specific’ rims they do, mid width (23mm). Will be running 700x 30 somehting slicks in summer and 700x45ish in winter.

Building them myself, its costing me about £340. Will be very nice wheels for that price, DT rekcons total weight 1672G for something that is effectively XC mtb strong.

The Mavic Allroad SL would probably have been my off-the-peg choice though, really like the XA Elite wheels on my hardtail. Fractionally narrower rim though, and a lot more money for the SL versions at similar weight to my home built wheels. The cheaper S wheels are a bit heavier.

ahsat

Your right – sorry, search fail. I don’t want to build myself but will take a decent read of this.

Gravel wheel build

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@snotrag I like the dtswiss xr rims. I have a pair of xr361 on the wife’s bike laced 28/28 to Bitex hubs. Think total weight was mid 1600g. Also a pair or xr331 laced 32/32 on Bitex for my more rough stuff Audax rides. They were mid 1500g pair. Great rims.

13thfloormonk

Aargh! Why had I not seen those XR331 rims!

380g for a 28 hole aluminium rim, and I thought my Pacenti rims were as light as it came for aluminium, didn’t even think they were particularly ‘aero’ profile but I guess 26mm deep vs. 18mm deep is a big chunk of weight.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@13thfloormonk wanna buy a pair of hardly used wheels with xr331 rims? 😄

13thfloormonk

No… am sitting with a heap of parts ready to build up some lovely Pacenti Forza disc rims on to some DT hubs. Will be lovely wheels, just 75g heavier per wheel than they might have been!

ahsat

@shedbrewed – I might though! Have you some photos and an idea of what you want for them?

ahsat

To close the loop, I’ve ended up going for the Mavic Allroad SL. Thanks @snotrag.

ahsat

Sorry, and @ginsterdrz

intheborders
    Free Member

Take a look at JRA Wheels, York.

Monitor for 25mm and Gecko 21mm – internals.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What gravel wheels?’ is closed to new replies.