Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What GPS for trail use?
  • divenwob
    Free Member

Sorry if it has been done to death but I am wanting a GPS unit to map trail routes. I have no practical experience of what is available but are we looking at Garmin 520/ Touring or 810? I have no real need for the extra health features of the 810 but if it is what I need then so be it!

Pook

CountZero

Do you have a smartphone? If so, then Viewranger or MemoryMap would likely be the answer.

divenwob
    Free Member

Pook; I have been offered a guided ride or 2 and I want to record as I ride 🙂
    CZ, as above and also I would prefer a seperate unit so the kids can do Geocaching etc,plus the battery life issue.

mogrim

Are you looking to map the routes to see where you’ve been, or to help with navigation as you go round?

divenwob
    Free Member

I would like to do both,obviously not at the same time.I have been given the offer of some guided rides and would like to be able to track where I have been without too much faff and stopages.
    I would also like to explore more and have the confidence to just ride and return to the start point.
    I realise the lucky amongst us are able to spend large amounts of time searching our great countryside,of which I am jealous,but I am not in that position and want to be able to expand our rides as fluidly as poss.
    I have an eTrex 10 but would prefer to see an OS or similar setup which I can use to help visualise where we are and also to find a way to help should we need it (2 adults, 3 kids, 3 dogs).

mogrim

I can’t really help with the navigation bit – I use my Suuntu Ambit 2 for navigating when I go running, but it’s a wristwatch and the small display would be a pain on the bike. It’s fine for post-ride analysis, though.

Cletus

I am thinking about replacing my Garmin 200 (which is great if basic) with something that can display maps and have been considering the models you list.

All the Garmin units you mention can display third party maps as detailed here.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

I have ruled out the 520 because of limited memory and the 810 as being too old (released 2013 and so maybe due for replacement) while the touring seems to lack some of the fitness features I would like.

I am holding off for a while in the anticipation that an 820 will soon be released which will have the new features of the 520 plus support for micro SD for map storage. No announcement from Garmin yet but from forum posts it seems that many people are expecting it to arrive reasonably soon.

HTH

kcal

eTrex 20/30 with OS or similar maps.

Or smartphone with the OS mapping? subscription based service, must sign up soon.

noahhowes
    Free Member

My mate has an eTrex20 which works well for us on rides where GPS is required. You can put your own maps on it for free, although the bought ones are slicker. It’s got a little toggle joystick thing so there’s no problems with gloves or rain either. Not beautiful, but functionally great.

andyg1966

Another vote for the eTrex 20/30, great for recording / entering tracks and routes and navigating.

divenwob
    Free Member

Cheers gang, 🙂 I will have another look at the eTrex20/30 and also at the Garmin forum.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What GPS for trail use?’ is closed to new replies.