Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What good quality winter gloves
  • jamest
    Free Member

Just arrived at work with very numb fingers despite wearing 2 pairs of gloves (liner and Endura neoprene outer), so thinking about some new winter gloves. Obviously don’t want ones that you can’t change gear or brake in. Anyone tried the craft siberian gloves?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a pair of Sealskin winter MTB (I think!) with a Primaloft liner. Super-toasty warm, and hands remain pretty dextrous. I’ve even been skiing in them.

I’ve got some gore xenon gloves and my brake finger gets ice cold. Needs some improvement for an rrp £45

simondbarnes

Specialized Sub Zero for me. Toasty warm.

karnali
    Free Member

craft lobster ones or sealskinz lobster ones

jamest
    Free Member

Might try the spec sub zero as their gloves are usually well made, didn’t Fox do some winter ones this year?

karnali
    Free Member

or if a mountain bike a pair of these

super warm with a thin liner glove or just very warm with nothing under

ahwiles
    Free Member

enudura deluge – they’re rubbish.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Lidl ones, I think I paid about £3.99 toasty and warm in the sub zero temps on Saturday morning

pedalhead
    Free Member

enudura deluge – they’re rubbish.

As are the Endura Strike. Completely ineffective in the cold, which is a bit of a problem for a “winter” glove. I’ve got some Sealskinz Winter gloves & they are pretty decent. I still get the odd cold digit if it’s really cold/windy, but they work well on morning like today, min of -4c with little wind and fingers were ok.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Those specialized look the business. How bulky are they? My old Pearl Izumis are both not warm enough and too bulky/lose too much dexterity.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Those specialized look the business. How bulky are they? My old Pearl Izumis are both not warm enough and too bulky/lose too much dexterity.

pedalhead
    Free Member

karnali – which ones are those?

simondbarnes

Those specialized look the business. How bulky are they?

Pretty bulky but I have no problems using them with STi or rapidfire shifters. It’s certainly a LOT easier to change gear than if you have frozen fingers.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m on Rohloff off road so a slightly different action. How does the two layer thing work out- do they not slip over each other?

simondbarnes

I’m on Rohloff off road so a slightly different action. How does the two layer thing work out- do they not slip over each other?

They just work.

turboferret

Bought some Fox gloves recently, been pretty impressed, better than the Endura Strike they’ve replaced.

Cheers, Rich

GavinB

If its cold, then I’ll wear some Endura windstopper (c£25) ones I got a couple of years ago. If its really cold, then the £4.99 Aldi Winter gloves come out. Ridiculously good for the money.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Pretty chuffed with my Chiba Dry Star, pretty warm, allegedly very water proof, not too chunky (ok on a SS, just about alright with gears I’dve thought) only down side is lining not fully stitched in. Bought silly cheap (£16?) on Merlin, more now.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Fox AntiFreeze are great at the mo, SealSkinz for when it’s proper cold

ransos
    Free Member

Sealskinz are quite warm, but make your hands clammy and are not remotely waterproof, despite their claims.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d get these Cannondale ones if I needed new winter gloves.
    But I don’t because the Cannondale ones I bought about 5-6 years ago are still brilliant!
    Shame you can’t get them in the UK anymore.

cookeaa

Lidl ones, I think I paid about £3.99 toasty and warm in the sub zero temps on Saturday morning

+1

For ~£5 they’re worth a try, seem effective down to about -5, not waterproof but take a hour or so of sustained rain to saturate through…

FuzzyWuzzy

Not really sure why Endura Deluge get the odd bad review, they’re great winter gloves IME. OK when it gets 5c or below I need to use a merino liner as well but that’s true of the 3 pairs of Sealskinz, some Madison ones and some others I have that the brand escapes me. The only ones I have that are warmer are the Spesh sub-zeros but then only if you use both layers and they are far more bulky.

Personally I think merino (or silk) liners are the key but as an outer glove the Deluges tick all the boxes for me (gel padding, not bulky, pretty waterproof, easy to get on and off, long cuffs, not hideously expensive).

I think if I rode a lot in sub-zero temps I’d probably switch to lobster-style mitts but used to use them donkeys years ago and they’re pretty bulky to.

TiRed

My hands were almost too warm in these this morning. £20 from decathlon. Not tested in the rain, but fine sub zero. Don’t go too tight.

For above zero I ride with some Pearl Izumi gloves.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Not tested in the rain

dectahlon ones are ok in the rain. they soak up water but stay warm (well they are made of wetsuit!) they get heavy though – bout 3 lbs each when full!!

I also have some altura night vision which are waterproof. they are quite warm though so only for sub zero use. much better after a few weeks use as they have stretched/ compacted a bit and fell much less bulky.

Tiger6791

Sealskinz, (I like them and would buy again)

Good points:
    Toasty warm
    Waterproof
    Sticky rubberised fingers
    Not mental money

Bad points:
    Not easy to get on and off (the lining kinda pulls inside out so you have to hold / bite the ends to stop this)
    They don’t breathe well (so you end up with moist hands if you work hard)

ahwiles
    Free Member

following on from my comment this morning…

at lunchtime, i went out and bought some polaris ‘stormwall’ gloves. After a cold and frosty ride home, i feel i can make a few comments:

they’re warm – i’m prone to cold hands, but no problems at all.
    the palms are quite thin, with little/no padding – i like this.
    the’re very sturdy, but not heavy.
    i just had my first cold ride with warm hands for years.
    they were £28
    i like ’em – and i want my winter gloves to bring me the moon on a stick.

🙂

wheelie

Tried the Craft, but not as warm as advertized. I tend to get very cold hands when it gets down to 0c. I found for me the Sugoi firewall z to be really good. when it gets really cold i use a silk liner glove too.
    The gloves have a thumb and index finger with the rest in a mitt. They are good with STI and braking etc. As with all gloves they work better if they are not too tight! Good luck!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What good quality winter gloves’ is closed to new replies.