Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What good quality 1/4″ Hex Socket + Mini Ratchet & Screwdriver Bit Set
  • Aus
    Free Member

I’ve a basic Draper mini 1/4″ mini ratchet which I tend to use a lot but it’s pretty loose and wobbly, and the bit set isn’t great. I’ve a ‘nice’ 1/2″ ratchet and it’s lovely to use in comparison!

What good quality replacement is there, for the mini ratchet and a bit set?

Cheers

jamiemcf

I quite like my 1/4″ Bacho set

This one but bought years ago from Still tools in Livingston.

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/bahco-s460-socket-set-46-piece-1-4in-drive-p18003/

duncancallum

Halfords pro

Teng

Bacho

My top 3

kayak23

I’ve got a mini set by Bahco. It’s lovely.

This one.

Bahco set

Northwind

I have that Bahco set too, it’s good. Ratchet is quite short, which isn’t really good or bad, but something to consider. Also had a couple of Teng sets, they’re generally just a little bit nicer but more expensive.

IME best to do screwdriver and sockets seperately, combined kits tend to be good for one and give lip service to the other. Makita do a really nice little driver

kimura54321

I’ve got the same set as kayak, not expensive and held up to harder use than I have expected. Would buy it again without thinking if I lost the old one.

fasthaggis

My most used tools are a Facom Expert driver set with a Snap On 1/4 ratchet and extensions.
    I don’t do car stuff any more and this covers most of the motorbike and cycle work.
    I have old Britool kit for the odd times I need to go big.

onewheelgood

Wera Zyklop Bicycle Set

duncancallum

I’ve also a syncros one in the bikes toolkit. That’s nice to use

kimura54321

Agree on the separate screwdriver, the cheap ish Bahco t-handle one has been a life saver in terms of getting extra torque in things without using an impact driver.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-hex-t-handle-stubby-ratchet-screwdriver/993jf

CountZero

I saw recently a ratchet driver that’s been developed to fit a Leatherman multitool; it fits into the hex-bit socket, and allows the tool to be used as a ratchet driver, rather than having to keep turning it 360 degrees to tighten or undo nuts and screws.
    Yeah, it’s actually a Leatherman product:
    https://www.leatherman.co.uk/products/leatherman-ratchet-driver

jkomo

I bought this one:
    Bosch 2607017160 27-Piece Screwdriver Bit and Ratchet Set (Extra Hard Quality, Drill Driver and Screwdriver Accessories), 45cm x 40cm x 25cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0071IK9CI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_SH74DGR5EHFY8AQHHMDS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    It’s tiny and has 120 tooth ratchet, great for tight spaces.
    I also bought a Halfords professional 1/4 inch as well, it’s lovely.

singletrackmind

Ditto halfrauds professional set.
    Was half price but its really well made and a bit of kit i look after and it will probably outlive me

The magnussen stuff is also pretty good now.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a Wera one like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/wera-zyklop-1-4-drive-bit-ratchet-set-38-pieces/572hg

It’s nice although the ratchet is perhaps a bit too small

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I have a
    FACOM 21 PIECE 1/4″ DRIVE METRIC 6-POINT SOCKET AND BIT SET – R.161-4P6
    Brilliant little set,price has doubled since i bought mine 7 yrs ago.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FACOM-21-PIECE-1-4-DRIVE-METRIC-6-POINT-SOCKET-AND-BIT-SET-R-161-4P6/264446449452?hash=item3d923c972c:g:PiAAAOSwum1dZ5cD

richmtb

I have this wera one.

Wera-Zyklop-Ratchet

Ratchet is a good size and its very well made

Mowgli
    Free Member

Also got the Wera Bicycle Set 1 recently – it’s tiny, but perfect for bike fettling. Thinking of making a new case for it to make it a bit more portable – the supplied case is pretty bulky.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Another vote for the Halfords kit, mine gets used regularly and only had the bit holder replaced after the spring broke.

duncancallum

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-ratchet-rocket-lite-tool

Looks the same as my syncros kit. Tbf they’re probably all the same.

jakd95
    Free Member

Bahco 1/4″ one for me too, use it all the time for bike stuff, it’s a nice little set. Only complaint is that I had to add a 3 & 4mm hex bit, it only came with a 5 & 6mm. Got the Bahco 3/8″ and 1/2″ set for car stuff too, equally good.

stevextc
    Free Member

I kinda see them seperately…
    For pivot bolts etc. I keep a few sets of 4/5/6 and T25 Wera bits… (but basically best quality)
    Ive also got Halfords Pro and a surprisingly good full socket set including deep sockets from Screwfix.

Then I have lots of odd ratchets, screw drivers and such and torque wrench and some Topeak torque bits (cos my brother gave em me) and a mini Bahco that’s brilliant for getting into weird places like uppermost cable routing on the Mega frame where there is <1cm clearance.

If you have to do anything with JIT then the Vessel stuff is lovely… imported mine form Japan and came with a mini origami.

luket

Same Wera bicycle set here too. It’s nice quality and I like it a lot as a nice thing to own but if I’m honest I don’t use it all that much, habitually just using normal allen keys (also Wera, excellent).

Cougar

Ditto halfrauds professional set.
    Was half price but its really well made

This. Just wait for offers, they come round more regularly than DFS. I think mine was like 40% off or something silly.

Another vote for the Halfords kit, mine gets used regularly and only had the bit holder replaced after the spring broke.

Curious. The one complaint I have is that the spring falls out every time you remove a bit. How easy was it to wangle a replacement?

b33k34

Mine aren’t trailside kits but incredibly useful mini-ratchet and socket sets.

I’ve got an older version of this £35 Halfords set (think it has slightly more sockets). Must be 20 years old now and still going strong (though the case is held together with gaffer tape). Ratchet is getting a little bit loose.

When some of the bits wore or got lost I bought one of these Makita sets £20 at Amazon (screwfix are selling for £35?!)
    and a comfortable spinner handle from Ebay for about £8. it’s a small ratchet but that’s actually really handy sometimes. The bits being colour coded helps keep it all get put back in the right place.

bikesandboots

Must not let an opportunity pass by to recommend what I have…

This is my only 1/4-only set – Stanley 1-13-906 bit and socket set. 12x9cm handy little box.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@cougar

Curious. The one complaint I have is that the spring falls out every time you remove a bit. How easy was it to wangle a replacement?

Went to the shop and asked for a new one, the guy got a new bit and swapped it for my old one. It’s a lifetime guarantee so should be that easy. Can’t remember if I had my receipt but even then…

I had the same issue until it broke, never had it again so I guess there may have been a dodgy run of them or they fixed the design.

Cougar

👍 helpful, tar.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a bit of a ratchet tart and have many in different sizes. Facom is probably the most jewel like but Halfords pro is great to use. That said 1/4″ stuff is rarely tight and rusted on so you don’t end up needing much to get nut off. I actually prefer and flexible handle. You can use the lever to loosen then fold it up to more like a screwdriver to spin the nut off

eg:

A tommy bar and extension makes sockets into a nice T-handle tool too (like this but with a longer extension).

yosemitepaul

Interesting post. Obviously Halfrauds is popular, but what’s best Facom or Wera??? ………I’d go Wera, but I suspect those in the ‘know’ prefer Facom!

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Was using my mates ancient Elora ratchet in work last night, using it to get at a bolt head in a very tight spot. It was one of those ones without the switch which alters ratchet direction, simply push the square drive through the handle and flip it over.
    Only about 70mm long , but ideal for tight spots and extra leverage can easily be obtained by slipping a bit of pipe over the handle.
    If you are going to be using it for tight spots I would be looking at something like that.

bigblackshed

Interesting post. Obviously Halfrauds is popular, but what’s best Facom or Wera??? ………I’d go Wera, but I suspect those in the ‘know’ prefer Facom!

I’ve got Facom at work, it wasn’t my choice it was issued, and in all honesty it feels like cheap rubbish. It’s for ever breaking or the chrome plating flaking off.

My own tools are Wera, Bondhus, Bahco, Knipex, Beta, and some old Proto ratchets. I’ve got some bits of Halfrauds Pro and really like it.

I’ve also used the lifetime warranty on a 9mm hex bit socket that exploded when I abused it doing the brakes on a previous car. Walked in, said something like “that’s broke” to which the reply was “I’ll get you a new one”. No receipt or any arguments.

martymac

I have the bosch one, linked to above, got it from amazon.
    Can’t fault it, I think it was £20.
    Handy AF.

burko73

I’ve got an older version of this £35 Halfords set (think it has slightly more sockets). Must be 20 years old now and still going strong (though the case is held together with gaffer tape). Ratchet is getting a little bit loose.

Sound like I’ve got the same prob 25yr old Halfords set. Same has happened to mine, one of the hinges broke and has had gaffer tape/ zip tie holding it together for yrs. I also have the same vintage 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch sets which seem to offer more sockets than the newer versions. I specifically picked the sets that were just sockets at the time preferring to have separate screwdrivers and Allen keys and also have the Halfords ratchet spanners and combo spanner set. They’re all excellent quality and have lasted for yrs. im only a hobby user now but I bought them for use when I was a forestry contractor and they were all in constant use fixing our machinery that broke at an alarming rate.

I’ve got a few wera screwdriver sets and one of their multi screwdrivers in a pouch that really useful round the house. I must get a set of their Allen keys. On fettling the bike I find the need for a long Allen key ended screwdriver for mudguard bolts under the fork steerer and behind the bb. Std Allen keys risk scratching the frame here.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What good quality 1/4″ Hex Socket + Mini Ratchet & Screwdriver Bit Set’ is closed to new replies.