Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What glue to stick my mirror back on to the windscreen ?
  • sofaking
    Free Member

is this the stupidest idea car manufacturers ever came up with ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you go to halfords, you can get a kit with some special glue and mesh which bond the mirror back on. Worked for me and never had the problem again.

teef
    Free Member

I used quick setting araldite once – supported it with some tape and my hand until set – it never came off again.

matt_outandabout

Drill and bolt it?

PiknMix
    Free Member

3M double sided auto foam.

carbon337
    Free Member

Not superglue a friend did that once after his girlfriend kicked it off during some nightime car park entertainment. Ended up cracking the windscreen.

gnusmas

+1 double sided foam

uwe-r
    Free Member

Fiesta?

I used some plaster’s webbing that was knocking around, glued that on the glued the old mirror to the webbing. Worked fine.

speed12
    Free Member

Yes, definitely not superglue – a friends widescreen cracked while he was washing it (with a pressure washer) and it was traced to the previous owner sticking the mirror back on with superglue.

Get some proper windscreen adhesive – it’s thick black stuff that is specially designed to bond windscreens in so you know it won’t affect the glass. Not worth the risk using anything else IMO.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Double sided foam probably wont be strong enough. Works ok initially and then fails. The Halfords kit does the job perfectly.
    Superglue prob cracked the screen as its an exothermic reaction when its setting, so a localised heat spot would have developed, cracking the screen.

richmtb

Superglue prob cracked the screen as its an exothermic reaction when its setting,

Epoxy (Araldite) is the same.

Use the proper kit, no point wrecking a windscreen for the sake of a couple of quid

somafunk

Any car motor factors will have the small sticky patch and cleaning it to stick it back on with.

sofaking
    Free Member

cheers folks, Im off to halfords

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its about a tenner for the kit IIRC

andrewhowell
    Free Member

The Halfords kit may solve your problem

BermBandit
    Free Member

Pop into your local Autoglass/Windscreens R Us et al, do your best puppy dog lost impression and 9 times out of ten they’ll do it for you buckshee.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What glue to stick my mirror back on to the windscreen ?’ is closed to new replies.