Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What glue for wooden battens to…
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Van roof?.

Single skin, glue the only way to attach an insulated carpeted panel, gonna bond some battens, and then screw into them to attach roof panel.

Something with a decent heat resistance I’d imagine, sikaflex? Stixall?….

Ta!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Gripfill?

willyboy
    Free Member

Polyurethane based glues are very good for dissimilar materials. They foam up slightly but can be trimmed when dry.

slowol

Sikaflex or other very strong polyurethane adhesive (as above). I think the tube often refers to it as caravan sealant.
    I seem to remember that once open the tube doesn’t last long so line up everything for sticking in one session if you can and don’t plan on doing more in a few days time.

Not sure on gripfill as there are different types and the ones like no more nails are too brittle. This is an advantage in skirting boards where you may want to remove them and leave the wall behind.

project
    Free Member

gorilla glue in a sealant gun or Sticks like shit, gripfill is a smelly solvent sticky glue that gets everywhere and youll get high on it,
    Been there and its fun at first the headache after is a nightmare, you need glue to stick your head back together.

bigfoot
    Free Member

i used tiger seal to attach the cycle wings(fibreglass) to the steel wing stays on my 7 style track car. survived for years of use with the force of being pushed through the air at upto 125mph, infact the only failure i had was the wing stay itself. i’m sure it says it will stick wood as well.
    as above once opened wont last long, i found if you squeeze a bit out of the end of the nozzle and use that to seal the end plus wrap it up in plastic it wouldbe ok for a few weeks at least.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use the sikaflex marine stuff to hold the slot sealer onto the hull of the boat, its seriously strong stuff!

It lasts a while in the tube as long as it’s not exposed to air. I’ve cut the nozzle off old tubes and the rest has been fine, usualy make it last 18months or so.

willyboy
    Free Member

Ps make sure you wear gloves when using PU glue. I learnt this the hard way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll go for sikaflex, Screwfix just up the road has it.

👍🏻

dyna-ti

What about jamb fit ? Battens stretch across, so make them long enough so you have to hammer them into place.
    If you just use an adhesive alone the heat changes might cause it to let go. some sort of mechanical fixing would be safer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Vans flex. Jamb fit a bad idea.

Sikaflex is the proven method of doing what your doing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The layout doesn’t allow a mechanical fitment.

spooky_b329

I don’t think the Sikaflex EBT in Screwfix is the same, normally people use Sika 512 or one of the many variants. I switched to Stixall last time which seems to do the same job.

I have a few mechanical fixings in my van but the most of the items are glued in place. It guarantees a squeak free interior. The adhesive relies on a gap to fill so you wouldn’t want to ‘jamb fit’, and most areas of the van would just bend or flex if you attempted it…doesn’t take much strength to push the roof or walls out slightly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

512 is a sealant though . For fitting roof lights.

It’s the sikaflex egt in Screwfix which worked fine for attaching battons in our case.

Also.currently holding cross battens onto my concrete sectional garage for wooden cladding due to concrete being crumbly when you hit with the drill

bigfoot
    Free Member

yeah, sikaflex is the brand, they do alsorts of sealants and adhesives. motor factors often sell what you need.

dropoff

CT1

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

221 looks like the rights stuff, euro have it locally too.

phil5556

I’m using Puraflex 40 from Toolstation for what you’re doing.

Early days yet as I’m still building but the bits I’ve put in with it are solid. Taking a couple of days to go off completely in the colder weather now though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What glue for wooden battens to…’ is closed to new replies.