Home Forums Bike Forum What geometry for someone tall and lanky?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What geometry for someone tall and lanky?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’m 6 ft 2 but I’m all arms and legs. I find that on the climbs I have to have the seat post up very high which brings my weight further over the back wheel which isn’t good (the higher the seat the more rearward my position even with it all the way forward on the rails). I ride a large Giant Trance X and I’m thinking of replacing it with something a bit more hardcore.

I reckon I probably need something with a steeper seat tube angle for the ups but slacker head tube angle for downs. I’m not considering a 29 er at this stage. I’ve never really known much about how seat tube angle effects handling but I tend to stand for any kind of descent.

Can anyone recommend a 6″ travel bike that might suit. Thanks.

sambob
    Free Member

Steeper seat angle is better for the ups, and easier to get behind on the downs. Norco seem to do some nice bikes built for winching up and bombing down, have a look at the fluid LT (i think).

flow
    Free Member

Go and test some

glenh
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m a similar build and find a steep seat angle, inline post and reasonably long top tube works for me.

br
    Free Member

Practically the same build as me, and tbh never really got comfy on a FS…

Whatever you buy I reckon its worth getting the right size frame based on your actual ‘dimensions’, rather than just height – consequently ride a 20″ (456Ti) frame.

kudos100
    Free Member

Specialized stumpy evo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What geometry for someone tall and lanky?’ is closed to new replies.