Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What easy filler for an old worktop
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Have a wooden worktop in a kitchen where water damage and age have opened up the gaps in the joints – I just want to fill the gaps with something water proof before sanding and oiling again.
    Only thing that seems to come up is the worktop compound stuff for invisible joints – I don’t think I need anything as fancy as that, just a waterproof filler, but no idea what else will do the job?
    Any suggestions?

kayak23

That wood filler is water-based I think.
    I’d use the Ronseal two-pack filler.

Actually I wouldn’t, I’d get timber of the same species, cut tiny little feather wedges, and epoxy them in before flatting off and oiling.

If you just want to fill and have an easy life, use a two-part filler. It won’t really absorb the oil as such, but it’ll do the job.

I also use epoxy resin quite a bit which you can tint to get close to the wood colour.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I’m only looking for a quick and dirty fill really – It’s a scrappy worktop with a certain amount of damage, that I’ll be replacing in the near future, so I’m really just stopping it getting worse.
    Will pick up some of that two part filler.
    cheers

dyna-ti

Timber moves, so any ‘hard’ 2 pack filler would probably crack. Maybe look at something flexible.

Jakester
    Free Member

Could you sand the top first, then gather the dust and use that with either superglue or epoxy to fill, and then sand again and oil it?

wzzzz
    Free Member

Just use some brummer.

Or I use car body filler for skirting boards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What easy filler for an old worktop’ is closed to new replies.