• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What does a shagged freehub sound like?
  • Earl
    Free Member

When both pedaling and coasting my back wheel sounds like loose ball bearings knocking together. Also when tugging at the wheel there is a bit of play even though the qr is tight.

There is no slip when pedaling and it still click, click, clicks when coasting like it should.

Don’t know much about this end of town, does this sound like a freehub problem?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

More like the hub bearings if there is play in the rim.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Hope

Earl
    Free Member

Vertical play!. They are only a few hundred commuter miles old.

Buying not from a local shop can be a bugger.

gingerflash

In my experience, freehubs go very suddenly with no warning. Either they stop freewheeling, or the opposite, they just spin freely without turning the wheel. I’ve never noticed a sound beforehand.

Loose play sounds like a hub bearing issue.

Ti29er
    Free Member

This is exactly what happens when they need replacing:
    “Either they stop freewheeling, or the opposite, they just spin freely without turning the wheel”
    Tim

clareymorris

Last week mine was doing the odd “skip”. I thought maybe the middle ring/chain was worn, but then it just went and I was left scooting myself around Whinlatter!!

coatesy
    Free Member

If it’s a Shimano, they often give a bit of advance warning with a rumble when freewheeling and also the kind of clicking you describe.

Tim
    Free Member

Last shagged freehub of mine didnt sound like anything – it just span both ways and all the bearings fell out through a crack in the case 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What does a shagged freehub sound like?’ is closed to new replies.