Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What do you want for Christmas?
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

This is a question my wife keeps asking.  The trouble is when I want bike stuff I usually just go out and buy it, within reason of course. So what ideas can you give me for useful inexpensive (up to 20 quid) bike related gifts that I can tell my family are on my wish list?

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Just be honest and tell them you don’t need anything and if so required that they feel the need tell them to donate £20 to the salvation army.
    Sit there Christmas day In the knowledge someone or 2 is having a Christmas dinner with other people somewhere warm
    On the plus side you’ll be surrounded with 1 less piece of tat made in China thag you really didn’t need
    It sounds cliche but Christmas isn’t about what to buy someone or what others should get you .
    Think of Christmas as a time to reflect on what you have and what can you do for others.
    I donate my Christmas day for the cause above and get more reward sat there chatting to people who might not have seen a sole for weeks or had anyone to talk too.
    And please this isn’t a I’m pointing the finger at you it’s not its just a polite reminder to everyone that there’s more to Christmas than what the Jones post on Facebook

scotroutes

Ask her to buy you a plaid shirt. Then you’ll have an excuse to buy a gravel bike. 

Daffy

Things you look at, but never buy as you don’t actually need it.  Tools that’re interesting, but you don’t need it, so never buy it.  Bells.  Some summer gloves.  Snacks for rides. Consumables.  etc.  

matt_outandabout

Is there something you could ride together as a special day out?

I too am moving to telling mrs_oab and the boys that they can take me on a day out on wheels or on foot. They can organise it. Give me a voucher promising time together.

onehundredthidiot

I’m going for wooden/silicone spoons for cooking. Just makes cooking nicer and some wooden spoons aren’t that nice to use.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you ride outside in the winter, a pair of neoprene socks.

tractionman

More time and some decent weather, that’s all.

ads678

Merino base layer. £25 from wiggle.

somafunk

Seeing as were coming up to the time of the “baby Jesus” id quite like Netanyahu to suffer a massive debilitating stroke

leffeboy

Socks, gloves, mini tools, seat packs, buff, books, base layers.  Restrict it to stuff you will actually use.  You can of course also donate to charity at the same time (as above).

dmorts

My list consists of beers, chocolate and vouchers (e.g. for a meal out, or clothes or Alpkit or Wiggle/CRC* etc.). Sometimes there are books and whisky on there.

*buy on a credit card given recent turmoil.

gordimhor

These days just a bit of time together is great.

IHN

MrsIHN and I don’t tend to do Christmas pressies for each other, we’ll go away for a weekend in the New Year instead.

jodafett

All I want for Christmas is yoooooouuuuu!

dyna-ti

Im never that bothered tbh, I prefer to give than receive.  Some rum, some new undies, socks, some more rum and im happy.

Sister has done well. She let me know her 20 quid special cordless drill has finally packed up – not bad really after 20 odd years, obviously hinting for a new one though, So I got her a Bosch professional 12v combi drill.

submarined
    Free Member

Honestly, I’ve bought so much from CRC/wiggle recently I have massive amounts of guilt.

I I’m in the fortunate position where, like you, I can afford most stuff I like. I’d just like money donated to Refuge. The last few years my family have mostly made charity donations, and I feel very much at peace with that.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Charity donation and some more together time it is then.  Thanks for the replies.  I think I will still ask for some warm socks though, I nearly froze my toes off last week.

fasthaggis

Justice.
    Retribution.
    And
    Sweet revenge

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Coke and hookers?

Cletus

STW sub?

gnusmas

Apart from some bits for the car that would make future journeys with us all a lot easier, I don’t want anything. I just get by with what I got and I’m hoping to get the car bits from a scrap yard/Ebay etc next year at some point. All I do want is to get Xmas sorted for the kids and get it all out of the way, it’s pretty stressful.

FB-ATB

An ex work colleague used to buy tickets for shows/gigs etc as presents – “memories not products”.  Her children were working so her view was if they wanted stuff they would have bought it.

crazy-legs

I message my sister and ask what her two kids want / need and she supplies me with some options.

My Mum has her birthday a couple of days after Christmas. My sister and I used to combine and get her something special but now that my Mum is so frail that has sort of passed.

My sister and BiL usually just get me a bottle of whisky for Christmas – mostly as thanks for what I do for my two nieces!

My Mum has long since given up trying to buy us anything so she just gives us money.

And my Dad has so little to do with us all that a card is about all that happens on that front.

This year I’m escaping the madness by disappearing off abroad until New Year. I really don’t like Christmas. The forced fun, the atrocious driving standards as the Great British Public all hit the roads at the same time and the usually shit weather.

Count me out.
    Bah and indeed, humbug.

Edit: it’s not all total doom and gloom – we’re doing a family thing in early Jan once I’m back from my winter sun. Me, my sister and 2 nieces will all go down to my Mum’s for a sort of “late Christmas”.

Bregante

Two days off work.

tall_martin

Port

Over shoes

Gorse poof gloves

Northwind

I am middle aged and comfortably off so I already own way too much shit frankly. But I am always open to lego.

Caher

My enemies smited or shaving gear.

Harry_the_Spider

World peace.

Governments to act on global warming.

1/72 scale model kits.

garage-dweller

1/72 scale model kits.

This or a turquoise unicorn – you’ve got no hope on the other two.  🙂

darksideby182

Easy waterproof socks £20 on banana industries.

Sandwich

donate £20 to the salvation army.

Anyone but them, Shelter or your local homeless charity.

mboy
    Free Member

-World peace

-A cure for cancer

-An end to the misery of “daylight saving time” in the UK…

Short of those three, I’ll buy it myself if I want it enough and can afford it, or I won’t if I can’t.

THIS is why I hate Christmas…

didnthurt

Consumables like gloves and socks are always good.
    But if I get asked what I want from friends and family, my response is “something to either eat or drink, nothing expensive” I’d be happy with some cheese, a tin of biscuits, a jar of homemade jam or a bottle of wine.
    Well thats after me trying to persuade them not to get me anything.

beanieripper
    Free Member

MDMA, steak, a nice walk.

somafunk

^Surely not in that order?^

kayak23

A Scouse brow, or maybe some nice olives.

fasthaggis

Less 502

brian2
    Free Member

I was about to post what @sandwich said. Homophopic bunch of sanctimonious zealots. There are better causes. Anyhoo, Peace n’ love and divine retribution would be good. Failing that  a bottle of Glenfiddich, a pack of Cadbury Flakes and a bottle of Schweppes full fat lemonade 👍

wordnumb
    Free Member

Socks, shortbread in a tartan tin, and the still-beating heart of my sworn enemy impaled on a shitty stick. Or just the socks and shortbread is fine. Hey, you’re not santa, what do you mean santa isn’t real, etc…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.