Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What do you mean by 'pop'?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Talking rear suspension. Cotic talk about the Rocket having pop because of the progressive rate, but what do people mean by pop? Surely the same thing could be had by a fast rebound or a firm compression if we’re talking progressive rates.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I murdered out the pop on my gnarpoon for extra shredits.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Lemonade ..cola….that sort of stuff init

Oh and my knee’s go pop every now and again

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I murdered out the pop on my gnarpoon for extra shredits

Like +1

I think it means exactly what it says, some suspension seems to absorb all input (my pitch is like this) and others seem to bunnyhop at the slightest input (maestro IME).

deanfbm
    Free Member

It’s actually quite a complicated explanation.

The reduction of leverage ratio through the stroke (progressive leverage rate) increases the damping further into the travel since a lower lev ratio gives faster shaft velocities, hence more damping. Thats one part, where you’re pushing from, midish stroke, you’ve more damping. This is dealing with the dynamic part, net result is you dont go as far into the stroke.

Then you have the rate of increase in spring rate, progressive is going to get to supporting the load sooner than linear or regressive, the stable platform of which you push off is reached sooner into the travel.

I guess by pop, it means you’re not getting bogged down in the travel, where when you move further into the travel the greater the extension, the greater the impact the rebound damping has,

If you just simply decreased rebound damping, you’d get into the realms of the system no longer being controlled.

/my mediocre attempt to explain what’s going on in my head.

scaredypants

kudos to flash for getting the holeshot and rocking the procabulary right from the get-go

ndthornton
    Free Member

Younger brother of snap and crackle

boxfish
    Free Member

Pop is married to Mom

ndg
    Free Member

procabulary

Totally stealing that!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Props to the procab, braw!

brant
    Free Member

Progressive means reduction in leverage rate?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 brant, progressive usually means increase in spring rate throughout the stroke. I’m with “pop” being people exploiting/riding around poor rebound from typical air rear shocks (why a properly damped coil like the CCDB can be criticised for being ‘dead”) to the extent its seen as a desirable trait.

RustySpanner

It means whatever the designer wants it to mean.

As does ‘progressive’.
    Progressively higher or progressively lower spring rate as the spring compresses?
    Anything with a non linear spring rate?

Meaningless without qualification.

Rising and falling rate at least give you a clue as to the designers intentions.

boxfish
    Free Member

Goes the weasel

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Decades of motorcycle suspension “progressively wound’ springs would suggest a convention for it being increasing spring rate, but agree much is at the whim of marketing engineers.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

People often don’t understand me!

Northwind

I have a Hemlock, it’s got no pop at all, very groundbound- tons of traction, very predictable, only jumps if you make it, which to me all sounds like a good thing but some find that boring and want a bike that’ll fire you into the sky if you ride over a painted line.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My SB66 feels like that too NW, my old heckler felt a little livelier in terms of ease of getting wheels off the ground at low speeds, but I think that was down to the very short top tube compared to the yeti. Although everything I read about the yeti says it wakes up at faster speed, I’ve not had a chance to test that theory as yet.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Northwind.. I popped you an email about the SB8s

legend
    Free Member

Progressively higher or progressively lower spring rate as the spring compresses?

progressive – leverage ratio increases
    regressive – leverage ratio decreases

psling
    Free Member

You had me believing you deanfbm… until you said “I guess” 🙄

So, what’s PopLock?

Northwind

@cloudnine, I can’t see it, could you resend?

Rickos
    Free Member

So, does a hard tail have ‘pop’? A hard tail doesn’t exactly hug the ground, but I suspect it’s not down to pop.

RustySpanner

Legend – which manufacturers use that convention?

Again, I come at suspension from a motorbike perspective, where the same terms can imply something slightly different, so pardon my ignorance.

I’d use ‘pop’ to describe a unit that had insufficient rebound damping, possibly with a slightly ott spring rate,

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’d go with progressive meaning increasing spring rate, which would at the same time mean reducing leverage rate.

i.e. the longer the lever, the less the effort… as the lever gets shorter, the effort (spring rate) increases.

As for pop, my favourite is unicorn wee, but I sometimes settle for Irn-Bru

But yeah, with a progressive system as mentioned above, the more force you compress it with, the more energy it will return to you for gnartastic reverse g shrednanigans, damping permitting.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Council pop brings back happy memories 🙂

deanfbm
    Free Member

Progressive leverage rate – lr starts high at beginning of travel, decreases at end of travel, ie starts at 3.0 ends at 2.0. Mechanical advantage rear wheel has over shock decreases through displacement. Shaft velocities start low, get greater, less damping beginning stroke, more damping end stroke.

Regressive leverage rate – starts low gets high, ie begins 2.0 increases to 3.0. Mechanical advantage rear wheel has over wheel increases through stroke. Shaft velocities start high get slower. Damping vice-versa of above.

Correct, no.

I found it counter intuitive when i was learning about this stuff

shermer75
    Free Member

Far right

singlespeedstu

Is it a term used to describe a suspension system that absorbs the bumps but only just and kicks back a bit to fast to make you think you’re riding faster than you actually are? 😉

Rickos
    Free Member

So it’s a load of poop then. The shock could be set to give ‘pop’ but then it wouldn’t bad very good at being a shock, right?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What do you mean by 'pop'?’ is closed to new replies.