• This topic has 60 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What do you eat before that early morning commute, and when?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

So, you commute to work by bike, have to leave early cos it takes an hour and you have to get changed when you get there, not much time for brekky? What do you have before you go, do you have it as soon as you get up or just before you leave, or do you go on an empty stomach and scoff something when you get to work, again what?

ton

chocco rocks are my faves at the mo…… 8)

Nick

Nothing, eat porridge at work, it’s only 20 miles.

sc-xc

I ride in, only 10 miles so not too long to go before food. Have a shower then usually eat a fruit salad at my desk.

(not the sweet)

aw
    Free Member

only a cup of tea and then on the bike…at work a muller rice or porridge normally

simondbarnes

I have nothing before I leave the house. When I get to work 30 miles later I have some Rego or Rego Rapid and a banana.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Bowl of porridge and a cup of tea before setting off (13 mile commute) and then anything and everything I can lay my hands on when I get there.

nickc

coffee, porridge

djglover
    Free Member

cold porridge, leave the milk to soak in whilst I put the big daddy bib tights on, and then ride off. Usually a bacon sarnie or toast when i get there too.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yeah, porridge with honey is my fave at the moment, but can’t decide if I should get up a bit earlier, or get up and go and have it at work? It’s a bit of a mad rush first thing anyway and I’m liking my bed too much at the moment 😀

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

cold porridge, leave the milk to soak in

Not tried that, is it edable quickly or you have to soak for quite a while?

djglover
    Free Member

10 mins is fine, I use waitrose 4 grain porridge, bog standard porridge could be a bit bland though.

nickc

cooked porridge takes 2 minutes in the microwave…why have it cold?

djglover
    Free Member

its nicer. And I don’t have a microwave.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Bananas and a smoothie of some sort, only a 10 mile commute so more concerned with fluids in the morning than food to be honest.

Snack on fruit during morning, sandwich of some sort at lunch then more fruit and/or nuts to snack on in the afternoon beofre riding home.

Mininmum of 3l of water per day

BB

ebygomm
    Free Member

Nothing at all before leaving the house then cereal once i get to work. This way i only have to get up ten minutes before leaving the house.

MoreCashThanDash

Coffee before I set off, bowl of muesli when I get to work, usually succomb to a latte and a bacon sarnie about an hour after that. Then I start picking at my packed lunch around 10am, finish it around 12.30, by which time I’m so stuffed I can’t face food again till I get home.

Only trouble is, it’s only 8.5 miles each way….

lowey

Bowl of Crunchy nut cornflakes then off. 15 miles in and then a big strong coffee.

juan
    Free Member

Commute is 15km to the station then 25 minutes train and then about 5-10 minutes up top the uni
    Glass of fruit juice a fruit and a yogurt or a bowl of milk and some cereals and a cup of tea.

Then I usually get some pain sportif at the bakers down the road but I might stop that it’s costing me quite a bit.[/b]

samuri
    Free Member

just a cup of coffee, not sure I could stomach anything at 5:30. I usually buy some smarties the day before I ride in and eat them once I get there, keeps me going till the canteen opens and I can get a bacon buttie.

tooslow
    Free Member

Just a pint of fruit juice then nothing except water and tea until lunchtime (13 mile commute).

A couple of rounds of sandwiches, an apple and a banana for lunch.

A big-ish dinner when I get home.

At least that’s what I used to do until I got relocated and had to start driving to work 🙁

snakebite
    Free Member

Iv’e tried eating early, eating a little then some at work, and have found best bet is a cereal bar with my morning cuppa,about 7.15, fresh orange then commute in-10 miles or so. I then have a bowl of porridge at about 9.30. keeps me happy til proper breakfast at 10, then sarnies and fruit at 11, lunch at 12, cuppa soups every 15 mins through the afternoon etc….

Mister-P
    Free Member

Usually a cup of tea before leaving home, 20 miles in and then a bowl of Fruit and Fibre with a cuppa. I find if I eat before riding it makes me feel a bit sick.

sodandy
    Free Member

A simple bowl of cereal or some toast before i leave gets me there on time.

Haze

Used to have Alpen before I started getting lazy and spending the extra 10 mins in bed – banana or apple when I get to work (after about 5 miles), bacon sandwich if I’m proper hungry.

sam42
    Free Member

proper coffee, toast+maple syrup….

redx

A pint of water & a black coffee before an hour’s commute on the bike. A weak solution of Rego once I get to work as I’m locking the bike up, and then a bowl of cereal as I’m waiting for my computer to start up……

jimster
    Free Member

and then a bowl of cereal as I’m waiting for my computer to start up……

What system you running, Windows ’95?

I’m a cup of tea, commute, quick rub down then a bowl of cereal once at work.

ourmaninthenorth

Short commute (5 miles): porridge for breakfast (skimmed milk – stops that bloaty feeling), then leave house 5 mins later OR ride in then bran flakes at desk. (This is like any day when I’m not riding in – breakfast just before I leave the house. The ride is irrelevant, as it’s so short.)

Long commute (20 miles): nothing before I leave (except water), steady ride in, cereal at desk. Might pre-make porridge and bring in to microwave, now that we have access to one in the office canteen.

Depending on the speed you ride, if you’re riding up to an hour, then there’s really no need for breakfast beforehand. You have enough blood sugar to get you there and then have breakfast at work.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I have to drive the kids to school 7 miles first and leave the car at their school then ride. So I have a brown bread banana sandwich in the car on the way.

juan
    Free Member

What system you running, Windows ’95?

I think that if it’s a slow one the answer is vista 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

nottin 🙂 It makes me get stomach pains if I eat. I just ride and eat at work.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have to drive the kids to school 7 miles first and leave the car at their school then ride. So I have a brown bread banana sandwich in the car on the way.

Hopefully when stopped, for legal reasons 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Usually porridge in winter – hot and salty. At the moment a cup of coffeee and a slice of toast about 20 minutes before I leave, then a banana ot home made flapjack when I get to work. In summer when I have less stuff to carry in my back pockets I sometimes just skip breakfast and eat more, like a bagel, when I get to work. And 20 mile each way commute for me.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Well I’ll differ, and it’s definitely not quick. (I don’t regard work canteen as adequate nutrition).

I make 2 big bowls of Bircher-type Museli which I mix up every morning. Rolled oats, millet flakes, oatbran, almonds, walnuts, raisins, flax seed, ground sesame, grated apple, chopped lemon peel, dried apricots, flax oil, mixed with water.

If I’m festive I get banana or fruit from the garden if I have it.

That and a flaggon of green tea. I don’t need to eat till 1PM.

jojoA1
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

Hopefully when stopped, for legal reasons

Well I do hang up the phone and put down my cup of tea and stop checking my diary when I’m having a bite. 😉

llama

when I do the 2 hours its porradge + strong coffe then a nutrigrain half way if I’m pushing it

DaRC_L

ermmm I get up and must eat or people die…
    so yeah I have Muesli, honey and milk plus a cup of tea before riding in.

acjim
    Free Member

I’m with DaRC_L – I have to eat shortly after waking otherwise it’s curtains!

Big bowl of muesli + oj + couple of cuppas + piece of toast and jam

ten minutes to let it go down and off on the bike for 18miles

(this is 7am though not silly o’clock)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Nowt, never can stomach brekkie unless I wake up feeling really hungry, which is rare. I drink strong black coffee until 12.30 when its lunchtime. My stomach seems ‘ready’ for food then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What do you eat before that early morning commute, and when?’ is closed to new replies.