Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • what do i need to convert USB printer to wireless?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

I want to make my canon printer wireless (only has USB port, no network port), is there some kind of dongle type thing i can plug into it?

I’ve seen wireless print servers, but they seem to be routers as well and i’ve already got a wireless router.

thanks

scaredypants

I’d be surprised if you can, without some kind of device (like this wireless server, or maybe a network storage box?) that has a USB port on it (USB hosting is what the printer would need to have I think and I can’t see why it would)

or maybe you have an old laptop that you could run it from – seems cumbersome & inefficient though

then again, I know **** all about this stuff 😳

Cougar

Wireless JetDirect print server type box, I’d guess. Probably set you back about £200.

There might be cheaper solutions, I’ve not looked at this in a long time. Basically though, you need not only something to convert USB to wireless ethernet, but also something that’s intelligent enough to manage a print queue.

I’d question what you’re trying to achieve; by far the simplest way would be to plug it into a PC and share it on the LAN.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

new printers are only 60 quid with wireless built in. depends if yours is anything special or not I guess

Cougar

Seems they’ve got a lot cheaper since I last looked.

https://pc-stop.co.uk/product/wifi-usb-print-serve-wireless-print-server-single-usb20-port

… for instance.

infidel
    Free Member

a NAS would do it…

steelfan
    Free Member

Apple airport or airport express does it all. It has a wireless printing facility built in.apple airport express

simonlovell999
    Free Member

OR just get a hp wireless photosmart printer, £45 off amazon. Problem solved

meeeee
    Free Member

looks like new wireless printer it is then if they are that cheap! Plus mine needs new inks at the moment as well so will save a few quid there.

Doesnt seem very ‘green’ though 😕

Cletus

+1 new printer.

Buying some sort of print server may not solve the problem – I have an aging OfficeJet G55 which I have tried plugging into NAS’s from Freecom and QNap without success.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I converted mine using an old portable TV aerial and a wire coat hanger

grantway
    Free Member

I have the Canon 640 brilliant and with a strong in built wireless networking

Both me and my daughter have Mac,s but would not bother with the
    Apple Airport dont need it waste of money.

Bought mine through Amazon

sweepy
    Free Member

I converted mine using an old portable TV aerial and a wire coat hanger

I used 2 cocoa tins and some string, the string does need to be tight tho

Trampus
    Free Member

Before buying the cheapest wireless printer on the planet, take some time to offset where you can buy the cheapest ink!

Cougar

mine needs new inks at the moment as well so will save a few quid there.

Bear in mind that many printers come with “starter” cartridges which are nearly empty, so you might not be getting as much as you think.

NZCol

I always buy sh lasers. Last two have lasted years and been less then the price of a cheap inkjet. Current one is a laser jet 4600 with jet direct card and full set of spare toners -cost me $200. once they die I give them to the recyclers. Networks fine off a switch.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t get a new printer, it’s wasting working equippment. Just buy one of the dongles, they are cheap as chips.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘what do i need to convert USB printer to wireless?’ is closed to new replies.