Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cwmcarn – ok for a night ride?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Hi, am in Bristol for a meeting tomorrow and was thinking of taking my bike and doing a night ride blast there on the evening? Car park open at visitor centre? Bike wash open? Any issues with locals?

Nick

It was a while since I was there, but we got followed back to where we were staying by some bottomfeedingscum who proceeded to nick one of the bikes, at least that was the Police view of what had happened, endemic apparently, so yeah, I’d say there was an issue with the locals.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Yep, the locals do it all the time, car park is locked at 9pm & the bike wash is borked but it was bone dry up there on Friday.

fadda

Yes, done it several times.

But the carpark shuts at night (there is still parking near the carpark, though) and the jetwash is, therefore, not accessible.

I was there yesterday, and you won’t need to wash your bike unless it rains, though.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can park outside the gates. There’s another road that joins the entrance track right by the car park entrance – room there for half a dozen cars max I’d say.

Dunno about bike wash or locals. It’s the valleys tho so don’t leave your wallet in the car.

MRanger156
    Free Member

A few of my mates that live down there go night riding at cwmcarn. I think they park outside the gates and the visitors centre and bike wash are closed. They’ve never had any problems going round but like most of the valleys the area is a big of a hole socially speaking. Prob best not to go alone.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

They can try and follow me back to London if they fancy it! 🙂

Is it a worry to leave a car by the visitor centre while I ride? Should I be worried about it?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I should add it is a car that attracts attention .. Fortunate I am !

molgrips
    Free Member

but like most of wales the Valleys the area is a big of a hole socially speaking

Most definitely FTFY!

MRanger156
    Free Member

I did wonder about editing that (so I did).

nickjb
    Free Member

Ashton Court in Bristol is good for a night ride. Not that muddy at the moment either.

backhander
    Free Member

So, it’s a no-no on your tod?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Nick – is it a marked trail? What sort of grade? How long to ride as an average?

Trimix
    Free Member

Its brilliant for a night ride, Ive done it a while ago – but check when the gates shut. You can park right outside the visitor ctr for added security if you like. Less isolated than in the bottom carpark.

Dont do it alone just incase you do crash, and its easy to get carried away especially in the dark.

I would advise doing one lap in the day just to get you in the mood, then have some grub and do a night one.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Trimix very wise words… I am indeed used to keeping myself in check for riding alone and would always make sure my better half knows when to expect me, just in case. I’ve ridden it before so know what’s in store. I was a bit worried about the locals and my car more, the gates being closed etc. I actually should finish as it’s getting dark after the clocks changed. I hope. But will add my night light just in case.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Joe – I’m more than willing to meet up to arrange a car swap – that should ease any anxiety you have about that aspect of the ride 🙂

Twin
    Free Member

They’ve never had any problems going round but like most of the valleys the area is a big of a hole socially speaking. Prob best not to go alone.

What absolute bollocks.

I have lived in this valley all my life and have never noticed the social hole. Its safer to leave your car anywhere in Cwmcarn than in Cardiff, if the variance in car insurance is anything to go by. (my sister now lives in Cardiff and her premium went up by £80 when she moved).

Go, enjoy yourself & don’t get your car locked in the car park. You can use the visitors centre car park at all times, there is a street light there which is handy. If the gate on the way out is closed, turn right, then left and follow the road, you will end up at the SPAR in Cwmcarn town. Turn left there and you come out on the main road, turn right and there’s a good chippy for post ride munchies.

I’d offer to ride with you but I’m working Tuesday, if you need the security of a pre/post ride check in then my mail is in my profile, get in touch and we can sort something out.

LoCo
    Free Member

Twin +1, live just down the road and no worse than anywhere else, just don’t leave your Iphone e.t.c on the dash board.

Diawl
    Free Member

If you’re worried about the car park out on the residential road. I usually park in the lower main car park. Have been doing for years and never had a problem. But I don’t drive a flash car.

Leku
    Free Member

I nip over from Bristol quite often. Takes about 45 mins from Bristol. As above leave car by visitors centre. It is better riding than Ashton Court (Timberland Trail).
    Usually other riders around most evenings.

Enjoy.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

what car and reg is it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Nick – is it a marked trail? What sort of grade? How long to ride as an average?

For Ashton Court the ‘Timberland Trail’ is marked, pretty easy to follow (although there lots of criss-crossing trails). Easier that Cwmcarn, not as tech and less climbing, but challenging enough especially at night. Takes me about an hour not rushing. Easy to extend by doing an extra lap in 50 acre wood or by the quarry.

… and you’ll save an hour and half of driving if you are going back to London after so time for two laps 🙂

EDIT: Just to add, Cwmcarn is better and generally worth the drive IMHO but for a night ride Ashton Court has plenty to offer if you are in the area already.

molgrips
    Free Member

Twin – apologies, it’s true that only some parts of the Valleys are bad, others are fine…

If worried about the car I’d park somewhere down the bottom of the hill where there are lots of houses and other cars passing.

Twin
    Free Member

Was more incensed about the “prob best not to go alone” comment from someone from Leeds!

LoCo
    Free Member

Was that in reference to being alone on the mounatain if he crashes though?

Twin
    Free Member

Coming directly after a comment about the valleys being a social backwash crawling with rapists and murderers (slight exaggeration), I took it to be otherwise. 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

I’m scared to leave the house after dark TBH 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Twin, thanks for the reassurance. I didn’t think a local dick Turpin would be actually out on the trail but just wanted to check. That and where to park if gates were closed. The ride company would be welcome and next time i am up would enjoy the company. I ride alone a lot simply cos I have smelly armpits… No I mean , because I work in odd places all week so never catch regular ride groups. I’ll check out the Bristol trail, may go there, will see how my work tortures me tomorrow, if I have the energy I’ll be at Cwmcarn.

Rich, sure a car swap of a dodgy old Audi for a dodgy old Volvo would be ace! 😉

acjim
    Free Member

I’ve been a number of times, always fun, the fast dh sections are mega at night – have to say we ride up the roads to get in 2 laps though.

We tend to go the kebab house in Cross keys for a feed afterwards – shish joy.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its good to hear that its not a valley of thieves then.

You do hear the occasional horror story and that can paint a bad picture. Ive heard storys of locals up at Afan nicking bikes out of cars while people were asleep in their tents.

Its quite easy for non locals to imagine its the same at all trail centers.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you go late in the evening you can ride it backwards…

MRanger156
    Free Member

Apologies for causing any offence.

Twin – I wouldn’t go night riding alone in Leeds either.

ti_pin_man – If you’ve not been to cwmcarn before I’d highly recommend it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Flash Londoner gets had off in the valleys by the locals. That’s a story that’d bring a smile to my face. wealth redistribution in action! 🙂

You could always ‘session’ the Surrey Hills….

backhander
    Free Member

If you go late in the evening you can ride it backwards…

Now that’s got me thinking……
    As a bristol local, I’d say that cwmcarn is very much worth the drive (and bridge toll) compared to ashton court.

fadda

Molgrips – I thought it was practically compulsory to do it backwards at night?

(just re-read that, and decided to leave it!)

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Success. No dick turpins. No chav car thieves or bother and got around before the dark arrived, 1 hour 40mins. I parked by the visitors, just in case, others were parked in the big gravel car park but i played safe. Did route and really enjoyed myself, back home for 9.30pm. Thanks for the advice and info guys, Knew you’d help.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn – ok for a night ride?’ is closed to new replies.