Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)
  • What defines a 'Supercar'
  • CountZero

As aside has anyone seen the V8 westfield, that the engine is made out of 2 haybusa engines with custom bottom end looked mental 2.6l high revving v8 that weighs very little :-0

As I understand it the Atom V8 engine is also a result of two ‘busa engines grafted together on a custom crankcase.
    A friend of mine rides a ‘busa, she says it’s becoming virtually impossible to find spare engines now, ‘cos every bugger out there who wants a seriously hot light engine in a track car is grabbing them as soon as they become available.

Northwind

Yeah, that’s been the case for a while, it used to be folk’d try and track down scrap bikes for donor engines but these days it mostly means buying a whole bike- mate of mine took offence when his buyer told him he was going to scrap the bike and told him to bugger off 😆 A lot of kitcar dudes seem to have switched to blackbird and zzr engines instead

Imagine being the parts counter dude… Wee queue of people, first person wants cush drive rubbers, next person wants a replacement bolt for his gsxr’s windscreen, guy from Atom wants 100 complete busa heads

LoCo
    Free Member

Wonder what people will be making with the new kawasaki supercharged 1000cc engine in a few year

stumpytom
    Free Member

Held the record for 0-60 seconds for 12 years, 3.07 seconds, assembled by Reliant in their factory using some parts off an old sierra, 520bhp on full boost (in EVO spec), only 146 sold (most by my grandad) . . . .and its a Ford!

The RS200

Oh and Jeremy Clarkson crashed one when he had a go.

jimjam
    Free Member

We’ll have to wait for Nickc to tell us it isn’t.

TheFlyingOx

I’m going to have to step in and say no to the RS200.

If that’s in there then so is the Metro 6R4, and that simply cannot be.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you turned up to to Cannes/Monte Carlo in that ^^^ people would assume you were lost.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Yup, same as the Delta S4 posted above. Truly spectacular cars I’d chose over any modern super car but are technically homologation specials for racing.

Same goes for a lot of the LM cars on the previous page, F40/XJ220/Mclaren F1 could be argued either way I guess…

northernmatt

If the 6R4 can’t be in then neither can the XJ220 as they used the same engine.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

moshimonster – Member
    911 no
    911 Turbo yes
    R8 yes
    If that’s the case then R8 V8 = no, R8 V10 = yes
    At least be consistent.

It’s a tricky one and maybe exclusivity plays a part. On my walk from the station to the office I go through a posh Marylebone square and can confirm that a 911 is the single most common car in there and Porsche the most common brand by some margin! Don’t get me wrong, I love 911s and hope I can get a GTS as my next car but I don’t really consider them to be supercars whereas I probably do consider even the V8 R8 in that category.

stumpytom
    Free Member

I would like to have a go in a 6R4 and the RS200 as much as if not more than a lot of modern supercars just because of the sheer lunacy of them.

Completely homologation cars though true enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just read about the NSX.. it sounds rather cool, I like that.

TheFlyingOx

If the 6R4 can’t be in then neither can the XJ220 as they used the same engine.

What’s that got to do with the price of fish? The Noble M600 uses the engine out of a Volvo XC90. Is that now out of the running?

funkrodent

I believe the guys on Top Gear pretty much nailed it when they said any rental car 😀

Would love one of those Honda NSXs. Apparently they can be picked up quite cheap.. 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

funkrodent

Would love one of those Honda NSXs. Apparently they can be picked up quite cheap..

Not for long. I’d say gen-1 and type R’s are going to become very rare/valuable soon if not already. The Ayrton Senna connection will ensure they are a sought after car.

TheFlyingOx

Not for long. I’d say gen-1 and type R’s are going to become very rare/valuable soon if not already. The Ayrton Senna connection will ensure they are a sought after car.

I’ve been watching them for a few years, always *just* out of my price range. They bottomed out somewhere around £16-20k for an early 90s import auto back in 2010-ish and it’s been a gradual climb back up since then. You’re looking ~£25k for a reasonable UK auto now, and the facelift models are well in excess of £35k. Never seen a type-R for sale.

jimjam
    Free Member

I used to work beside a Honda dealers and one of their staff must have owned one. Absolutely immaculate car and looked very striking on the road.

richmars

Honda NSX is not a supercar, because it was too reliable. I used to work with a guy who commuted from London to Cambridge daily in one. Cheaper to maintain then his Honda estate car.
    Apart from that, definitely a supercar.

Viewing 18 posts - 161 through 178 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘What defines a 'Supercar'’ is closed to new replies.