• This topic has 27 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What constitutes a light large 29er frame these days?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Only asking as I have time so I stripped the Singular pegasus down today as I though I recalled my original O-O Scandal was lighter, turned out the OO was 10g lighter, but I forgot to take out the bottle boss bolts out of the Singular so no difference really.
    The funny thing was I started to compare other bits as well, Middleburn RS7’s with TI BB were 1g heavier than SLX with a ceramic BB, Thomson seat post with WTB saddle exactly the same as Titec carbon with Ti bell-air.
    The 1×10 rigid bike came in at nearly 23lbs, carbon forks/bars, hope/Crest wheels, tyres arn’t that heavy, where have I gone wrong, how do people get a 18lb rigid bike?

😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iLyuZZ]IMG_4493[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iLBiFd]IMG_4495[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You’re using the wrong scales 😏

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Obviously, I really can’t work out how it’s possible to loose 5lbs or so.

tomhoward

Hope hubs aren’t featherweight, what brakes are you using? Ti bolts? Light weight rotors? Middleburn cranks are giving away 150g to carbon ones. A weight weenie carbon frame would take a fair chunk off, as would carbon XC rims/seatpost/everything else etc. For these 18lb builds it’s not one thing that’s makes them super light, it’s everything that’s a bit lighter that on its own doesn’t make a big difference, but they all add up.

They don’t always make the best riding bikes, either…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You could probably lose 1.5-2 lbs by fitting some pointlessly flimsy tyres.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It’s mainly in the frame I should think. A real weight weenie one would be around 2.2 lbs.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well frame weighs in at 1647g, hence the question, I haven’t seen anything much lighter, what weighs 1kg in size large?

Agree on the tyres, but not going there…

TH, mainly agree, but I have carbon stuff which wasn’t any lighter, that’s not to say there isn’t lighter stuff available.

Cheers, & for balance my favourite MTB quote* was from Steve Worland who said in a review that a certain light Ti bike rode like a “spastic bambi”.
    *Although you probably couldn’t get away with that nowadays.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Scott Scale Carbon is the usual reference point – 969g.

tomhoward

Specialized sworks epic HT frame is 790g.

Clink

Specialized Chisel frame is apparently 1350g (not sure which size); think you can buy frame only from Germany.

mboy
    Free Member

Obviously, I really can’t work out how it’s possible to loose 5lbs or so.

It’s easy, very very easy in fact… You just need commitment and a fat wallet!

To build a weight weenie bike, you need to think like a weight weenie… No “that’ll do” approach to the spec, otherwise before you know it, it’s 4lb heavier than it could be! It’s comments like this that are the reason I know you don’t have (or want!) any commitment to being a weight weenie… “hope/Crest wheels, tyres arn’t that heavy”

Your tyres are 800g each FFS… Get some 29×2″ Furious Fred’s on there if you’re a real weight weenie, a mere 360g each… Even if you aren’t ready to commit to an inner tube with a bit of tread, then some 29×2.1 Thunder Burts are 430g each and have at least a small amount of tread.

Hope hubs (assuming Pro4’s) are around 500g per pair… A Tune King/Kong pair will save almost 200g here.

Crest rims are light by normal people’s standards at 365g each in 29er version, but there’s carbon 29er rims out there 100g lighter per rim. I’m also willing to bet that your spokes are DT Swiss or Sapim butted 2.0/1.8 spokes… Some DT Revolutions will save another 80-100g per wheel depending on your current ones. Alloy nipples are a pain in the arse, but save another 25-30g per wheel too…

So far we’ve only covered the wheels and tyres, but I’ve saved you around 1500g, or almost 3.5lb!!!

Your Thomson stem and post… There’s another 200g can come off there immediately. Saddle wise, there’s another 150g to come off there by swapping to a Flite SLR, or if you REALLY want to save weight, there’s sub 100g options but they’re a carbon shell with no padding!

If you’re sticking with gears, then you need to go SRAM XX1… Gripshift saves weight over trigger shifts, the rear mech is lighter than any Shimano. A Leonardi Racing 9-36 11spd cassette will save you a further 60g over and above an XX1 cassette too, and allow you to fit a smaller chainring too (which will be lighter again). Cranks need to be junked for Carbon… Raceface Next SL claim to be the lightest production crankset in the world. They are bloody light for sure, just make sure you buy them new with a warranty, as they don’t seem to last very long!

Shimano brakes are heavy for what they are… Formula R1’s are significantly lighter without too much of a power compromise. There’s plenty of lightweight rotors (with questionable performance!) to choose from if you don’t mind sacrificing some performance.

And then there’s the frame and fork… There are sub 800g MTB frames out there! And there’s plenty of lighter forks than the Exotic Carbon one you have fitted!

What you will have, once you have done all of the above… Is an expensive paperweight, cos it will ride horribly, and it will have relieved you of a huge chunk of cash!

Or, if you really just want to lose a little bit of weight off your current bike without spending too much money (which is really what I think you’re getting at)… A pair of 29×2.25″ Racing Ralph/Ray Snakeskin tyres will save you almost 400g without any detriment to performance or reliability and will set you back probably about £80. A decent Carbon seatpost will probably save you about 80-100g and cost you another £80-100, and a lighter saddle need only cost from around £50 too and save you a bit more. For around £200ish, you’ve dropped another 1.5lb off your bike and not compromised on the performance…

If you can be bothered… 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Scott Scale here.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hands up, I’ve been banged to rights, Mboy has me to a tee, no I can’t be bothered & no I don’t want to spend the money, I’m **** right? 😉

DT78
    Free Member

I have a pretty light scale, with gears and suspension that’s lighter than your rigid, and it’s not even the silly light hmx version

There’s nothing wrong with furious Fred’s I’ve run them on the rear for ages, but, they don,t like rocky welsh descents, they will snakebite like tubes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hands up, I’ve been banged to rights, Mboy has me to a tee, no I can’t be bothered & no I don’t want to spend the money, I’m **** right? 😉

Mboy is right though.

I’ve got a 16lb road bike, no one actually believes it’s 16lb because it cost <£1k to build but it did and is.

Trick is to think outside the box.

Hope hubs are heavy
    Tune hubs are expensive
    Powerway hubs from china weigh less than a pro2 rear for the pair and cost £50. You can certainly go lighter, but then it really starts to cost.

Dura Ace cranks are light-ish and expensive, anythign lighter is ££££
    FSA-SLK carbon cranks are ten a penny on ebay and weigh less (just remember to put bearing retainer compound on the spines to stop them creaking).

Apply that logic to the whole bike and the weight soon drops.

nedrapier

get better at wheelies and you can lose the front wheel, tyre, brake, and fork lowers.

core

I had a steel Cotic Soul 2×10 with a 120mm reba, 650b with specialized control carcass 2.3 tyres that was only 26.5lb!

core

I’ve just looked, a carbon framed Scott Scale 940 at £1500 only comes in at 27.12lb (according to Scott)…

legometeorology
    Free Member

Yep, I think mboy has just about finished this thread (in a good way), but I’ll say as well that while I like a lightest bike I’m far from a weight weenie, and looking at yours it looks great apart from the tyres.

Looks like the 2.25 Crossmark TR you have (without sidewall/Exo protection I think?) are 730g each

Aspen’s in the same size, even with Exo protection, would be about 640g each end and probably roll faster. Snakeskin Thunderburt’s or Aspen’s without the Exo stuff would be under 600g an end.

I’d not bother changing anything but the tyres, except perhaps the post but for a dropper so that’s heading the wrong way…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks for the further contributions, the only changes I’m making are to change back to the Singular frame so I can go SS & the tyres which I’ve changed to 2.1 thunderburts which are not really a 2.1 more of a 1.9, but they saved 520g, it’s currently weighing in at just over 19lbs but lacking a sprocket & chain so should be just under 20lbs finished.
    You are all right about the wheels, I weighted them without the tyres/sealent & cassette but with the rotors & QR’s, 1320g rear & 1000g front which shocked me a bit!
    Oh & no dropper, I don’t even use it on my FS E-bike as I’m just used to getting my arse on the rear tyre with it at full height.
    Cheers.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Found the ‘missing bits’, you know I said it would be just under 20lbs, well

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iVnVc2]IMG_4549[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

Close right 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iVpv63]IMG_4551[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

I could of saved 70g using a 9spd chain, I have also ‘found’ some RC31’s that would save me another 70g but they’re 25mm shorter than the Exotic’s, I have also come across some old Formula SL brake with 140 & 160mm rotors that may save another 100-150g but I’m not going there 😉
    Cheers.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Looks awesome 🙂

epicyclo

boy gave a very good parts list there, but he forgot to mention massaging them with Drillium.

But beware, Drillium is a very reactive substance and can combine with almost any other material to form Fractinium. 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I tried Drillum in the 90’s, it didn’t end well 😉 And besides this frame has already been repaired once.

mboy
    Free Member

Looks lovely mate!

Enjoy…

letmetalktomark

But beware, Drillium is a very reactive substance and can combine with almost any other material to form Fractinium.

clap

hols2
    Free Member

Have you tried cutting the nose off the saddle?
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160577

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What constitutes a light large 29er frame these days?’ is closed to new replies.