• This topic has 52 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jag61.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • What concrete mix?
  • redmex
    Free Member

Oh no that’s the squeezy nicked out the kitchen to air entrain,along with the few handfuls of plaster. This c35 concrete is going to end up like a green aero bar without the minty taste
    Add some fondu that will make it set fast

zzjabzz
    Free Member

So many air tests, especially when Extrudakerb were on site 🙁

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The brackets I linked to are intended for fence posts. There are all sorts of variants (take a look at the simpson strongtie site). The saddle with rebar design is fine to hold up a fence, with e.g. 6’x6′ panels, which are essential very large wooden kites. Your structure, with no walls to catch the wind, will be fine. If you use a bracket that is approved for use with a non-constrained post, you’ll be fine.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Just be aware molegrips, if you decide to pour the pad and the mix has large pieces of agragate or you put a bit more be cement in than you intend, you’ll possibly find drilling holes in the exact spots you need is tricky. However resin fix (I’ve not used but guessing) may give some wiggle room. A good drill and bit will help.

molgrips
    Free Member

@cromolyolly I like this idea:

https://www.metrofixings.co.uk/main/product/productinfo/25584/Simpson%20Strong-Tie%20PBP60/50%20%20Pergola%20Post/1

It’d be neater I think with the slot cut in the post. That would then offer a bit of protection. Looks like I could bolt a bit of bar to the bottom of it for better anchoring.

neilnevill
    Free Member

And flipping heck redmex, this is a post pad for a posh deck not the Hoover dam. My question about plaster was a question, a handful of cement in a bag of bonding makes it set so fast it can steam, a useful trick used by plasterers to set beading in place. I doubt it works the other way but asked. The comment about watering the hole stems I’m sure from the instructions on a bag of postcrete where it’s added to the hole as a dry mix. Small quantities of concrete like a single post hole could dry and not set, I’m sure from your cement knowledge comments you know all that. Your p’taking isn’t helpful.

oldschool

Well given I’ve never done it before I should err on the side of caution, don’t you think that would be wise?

Yes, a bit of caution is wise, and some good advice was given by most. However some of these suggestions are bordering on the ridiculous, for what you have asked for help with.
    I was laughing at the suggestions put forward, rather than your initial question.

You’ve asked the equivalent of which coil spring compressors to buy when swapping the shocks on my Passat and been sent to red bull F1 team HQ as that’s the right way to ensure your suspension will be perfect. When what you need is a simple solution for a relatively simple run of the mill job. Like you said the ground around you is hard as nails already. Dig a hole, and use the mix that’s printed on the back of the cement bag. 😀

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Those look good, just make sure they are suitable (the simpson site will tell you everything you need to know, including approved fasteners, whether it requires the top supported (since you are build a roof, you are ‘supporting’ the top for most purposes.)

These would be easy to install and adjust but I think srequir top support.
    https://www.deckexpressions.com/simpson-strong-tie-zmax-6-in-x-6-in-galvanized-adjustable-post-base/

If you want hidden

https://tradefixdirect.com/post-supports/simpson-concealed-post-base

jag61

I’ve just installed a shelter base on a site in Sheffield! 4 pads@ 1mx 1m x.6 and 2 @ 1.2×1.2x.8 it will be a pergola type shelter about 4m x 5m I don’t think you will need anything quite as Daft any of the mix suggestions with decent resin anchors /threaded rod unless in Sheffield then you will need to use my sizes good luck 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Those pad sizes are massive, much larger than I was going to make.

jag61

Massive covers it well !! If I was building my own it would probably have 2bags post Crete on each post but you know computer says 6m3 needed.

molgrips
    Free Member

How deep were they?

I don’t have a computer, only STW and my anxiety.

jag61

@molgrips they were 600 deep for ‘small’ bases 700 deep for larger ones glad im not the only one worried they might not support the shelter safely !! Pity the poor sods who have to break it out in years to come I guess a bit of CAD involved alongside a fear of a PI claim when little johnny is crushed under the collapsing tower. DFE paying so all good in the end

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What concrete mix?’ is closed to new replies.