Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What commuting jacket?
  • juan
    Free Member

I had a quick look on wiggle and CRC, and they all look the same to me.
    Head lines are:
    All are breathable, all are waterproof and all are HI-viz.

Which one the STW masses recommend me?
    I want one that
    I really breathable.
    Is really waterproof
    Is Hi-viz
    Is tough enough to sustain a commuting duties.
    Eventually that wont cost me a kidney
    If it can pack small it’s even better.

I have a montane H20 at the moment and I find it not breathable at all and not very waterproof…

Many thanks all

Mucho love
    Juan

P.S. So far quite tempted by that

yossarian
    Free Member

i went for an altura nevis which ticks all your boxes except the hi vis part. They do come in yellow though

only £34.95 from tredz which is great value as the RRP is £50

robbo1234biking

Id second the Nevis as well although only been riding to work for a month now and no heavy rainfall!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve got an altura nevis that I got free with a sub for a magazine a few years ago – glad I didn’t pay for it, boil in the bagtastic, not very waterproof, not very well made and wat too hot. Guy in work also got one and he’s of the same opinion. Another pal bought one and the zip broke after a few weeks use. I use a Gore fusion – very waterproof, very breathable, very bright orange/red but also very expensive.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I rate softshell in a big way for commuting. Most of the time it isn’t raining enough to need a 100% waterproof hardshell and a softshell will shrug of most showers. It is also much much much more breathible, much more comfortable and easier to look after. It’ll also keep you warm in the early mornings, and in the biting wind on the way home.

I have a bright orange howies cross jacket, which I picked up cheap in the sale and which has been awesome. They don’t make them anymore, but plenty of bike clothing companies seem to be putting out softshell these days.

I wear it commuting 5 days a week, pretty much all year apart from in the heat of summer. I just layer up underneath with merino in the winter, or jam a hardshell over the top it its real stairrod rain.

Just picked up a grey arcteryx epsilon for MTB after I mangled by black howies cross. Its also supurb, obviously a better jacket. A bit pricy, but they come up cheap from time to time on ebay. They do a red one too, which would be more visable. I hate wearing high-vis yellow. Bright orange is bright enough for me.

BigJohn

I commute 5 days a week, wearing my work suit. I got a Peter Storm from Milletts and its fine. Long enough to cover the jacket and nicely breathable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nevis is fine here , you lot must sweat buckets …

problems with softshells are that once wet , stay wet for ages IME ….

Rode into work in the drizle one day (20 miles) got there , softshell although inside was dry , outer was saturated. It was put infront of the radiator etc and was still wet when it came to go home ,Still dry on the interior but was very cold once i got outside. Not its usual warm self !

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Thats odd trailrat, I sling mine over the back of a chair in the office and it is usually dry as a bone come home time.

J0N
    Free Member

Altura Nightvision is great. Very tough and reflective bits are very bright. Available in hi vis yellow if required (yuck :wink:). Not the most breathable but has pit vents adn its low cost. cant have everything. Other option is the Endura Gridlock or Luminite.

AlasdairMc

I got a Nevis free with mbr years ago, and it lasted 7 minutes of rain on its first day before I got wet. It’s very boil in the bag and the waterproof zip broke so I’ve had to peel it back.

It rarely gets worn these days, I either wear a softshell or my eVent jacket if it’s truly chucking it down.

Haze

Montane Velo works for me, although it hasn’t been tested in any proper rain yet…

BoardinBob

Jackets?

Poofs!

It’s short sleeved cycling tops from now until next winter!

soobalias
    Free Member

my free nevis has served reasonably well.

it was waterproof for about a year, but re-proofing has done little to bring it back to its original quality. Nowadays you would call it showerproof. I wouldnt call it breathable, but the vents do work.

I dont expect much better for £50

zaskar
    Free Member

Endura Gridlock had been good and used to br £80 now it’s £40 ish.

Good warranty too.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s funnt how one person finds the altura nevis breathable but no other users do. I don’t normally sweat a lot but I do in that thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i also have a grid lock ….id say that was more boil in the bag than my nevis BUT i was riding in 20 degrees + at the time ., i will say my nevis is from about 2005 , designs may have changed !

juan
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.
    I’ll have a look to the few mentioned here

Best
    Juan

cynic-al
    Free Member

I too am on the hunt for something like this – fleecy inside so as not to feel clammy, very breathable and shower resistant enough to resist rain for the 25m I am pedalling.

My “heavy” softshell (from Zara would you believe) has been awesome in the winter and looks OK in the pub. A lightweight version would be perfect – any ideas?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Arcteryx Epsilon AR fits the bill perfectly al. Very light, very water resistant, thin cuboid fleece bonded inside, awesome fit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Awesome fit” – for porkers? 😛

**** moi it ought to be all those things for £130 😮

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

*shakes fist*

Actually, I’d try one first if I were you. I don’t recall the arms being overly long on my medium. You big ape you.

I picked mine up for considerably less than that too. £130 on a jacket I’m going to crash into rocks? I don’t think so …

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm. EBC do some kraut company’s one (Protective?) for £100 so I may try that first.

I find it odd that there seems to be a rarity of jackets fitting the bill.

zaskar
    Free Member

If you ride more you’re gonna increase your risk of crashing so don’t spend heaps unless you’re rich enough to replace it often.

Grid lock in 20C? I never wear mine from April onwards bit warm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

it was raining in nz for 3 days ….and we were camping in doc sites that particular week so keeping clothing dry was a must

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What commuting jacket?’ is closed to new replies.