Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What clipless pedals and shoes for clipless noob?
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve just built a hardtail 29 singlespeed, it’s ace, I want to try clipless but have been using flats and Five tens forever.

The hardtail is basically a winter bike if that matters. What pedals and shoes would you recommend?

Cheers

BigJohn

I’ve always found Time cleats are buggers to get out of when new even though they’re super pedals thereafter. Get Shimano SPDs that can be slackened off with an Allen key and some warm SPD shoes. Expect 3 unclipped tumbles each of your first 3 rides and then you’re sorted.
    Unless one of them is in front of a bus.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time are the best for winter and reliability, as well as float.

However, as a noob to this, I’d try the cheapo double sided Shimano PD-M520.

Shoes? Fit is key, but both Shimano and Specialized should probably be on your list.

qwerty
    Free Member

Having used higher end Crank Bros & Time for many years, I’ve recently switched to Shimano SPD’s and it’s hard to see past a set of Shimano PD M520 (pedals & cleats) which can be had for the price of a pair of Crank Bros / Time cleats only. I believe Shimano PD M540 offer a little for robustness, and after that it’s all marginal gains in weight loss. Go spend £20 on the 520, it’s a great price for a great set of pedals & cleats!

lunge

Shimano 520’s and whichever pair of Specialized or Shimano shoes you like and fit your budget. Not a glamorous or adventurous recommendation but a sensible one.

tomhoward

Shimano 520’s and whichever pair of Specialized or Shimano shoes you like and fit your budget. Not a glamorous or adventurous recommendation but a sensible one.

This

Stevelol
    Free Member

Cheers guys, gonna get the deores and some 2fo shoes.

joebristol

520’s go on for ever and the cleats are quite durable. Unless you want a platform round spds I’d go with those to try.

Shoe wise I’ve found Shimano are the best fit for means make some sensibly priced ones. I recently picked up some am7’s which are probably the best spd shoes I’ve ever hadZ

I’ve found Northwave are pretty but not as nice a fit. Hi had some Nike shoes back in the day that were nice but I don’t know if they still make cycling shoes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What clipless pedals and shoes for clipless noob?’ is closed to new replies.