Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What chainring do I need? (And why is this so complicated?)
  • jjprestidge
    Free Member

Need to replace a boost SLX barrow wide chainring. Thought this would be easy, but why is it so difficult?

Looking at Works Components and Superstar, but nothing is self explanatory. It either doesn’t say boost or it has some other weird terminology that makes me wonder whether it’s going to fit.

So, please help – setup is 1×11 boost SLX. What chainring from either of the above do I need?

Cheers,

JP

Shackleton

If it is shimano boost crank then the boostiness is in the spider so you just need a standard chainring of the appropriate bcd. (96 bcd for m7000 slx I think).

Edit – like this one https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/raptor-chainring-96bcd-asymetric–narrow-wide.htm

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Cheers. I was finding it hard to work out where the boost element is – some info on the web says it’s the cranks, others the chainring. I guess it’s different for different brands?

JP

scotroutes

With SRAM it’s the chainrings. With Shimano it’s the cranks. Not usually worth getting het up about unless you have chainring/chainstay clearance issues.

smashit
    Free Member

I shopped around and eventually just went for a Shimano one! It is actually a perfectly functional component and the composite construction on the SLX is pretty clever!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Yeah – you might be right. Will these work with XT 12 speed if I upgrade?

JP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What chainring do I need? (And why is this so complicated?)’ is closed to new replies.