• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What century/era has been the best for being homeless…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…the obvious answer would be never!

1800s 1900s 2000s ???

In this day and age it seems it’s all to easy to become homeless, perhaps in other era’s it was different as there was a much clearer divide ?!?
    In the 1800s work houses were in full swing which gave you food and a roof – not the nicest of conditions.
    Being homeless in the 2000s can come with drug addiction alcohol abuse – though I’d imagine that alcohol has always been abused by some.

If I had to choose I’d go for the 1700s – the world was perhaps a nicer place ?!?

Discuss

imnotverygood

You mean an era when you would be executed for petty theft?

TiRed

About 5100 BC. Homlessness didn’t exist.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Probably now. Charities are constantly improving. Some good skip diving possibility still. Warmer climate. Internet via local library has made information more widely available.

Not saying it’s easy but it’s probably as good as it’s ever been.

footflaps

Must be now, can’t see many surviving a decent Victorian winter when the Thames froze solid for weeks on end…..

Plus the Welfare state only started in 1945….

Dickyboy

In the 1800s work houses were in full swing which gave you food and a roof – not the nicest of conditions.

My great great grandmother died in a workhouse of some hideous disease, some thing to do with a swelling that caused her to slowly suffocate, so no thanks.

Either 5000bc or 60’s & 70’s when there were plenty of squats and communes to join?

TheBrick
    Free Member

You are not homeless if you are in a squat though so not sure that counts.

maccruiskeen

Must be now, can’t see many surviving a decent Victorian winter when the Thames froze solid for weeks on end…..

The death toll was high enough during ‘the year with without a summer’ even if you did have roof over your head times were pretty grim. ‘The year eighteen hundred and froze to death.’

65,000 dead in the uk alone that year – the global death toll was enormous.

Got some good books, poems and songs out of it though – Frankenstein, Dracula, In the bleak mid winter, and our modern aesthetic of Christmas –   and arguably it was a driving force behind the invention of the bicycle (because crop failures meant people’s horses were starving to death) so not all bad

BillMC

After the Poor Law 1601.

funkmasterp

About 5100 BC. Homlessness didn’t exist.

I’m with Tired on this one. Does having your own communal tree or cave count as homelessness though?

On second thoughts I’m going for the tent(h) century.

seosamh77
    Free Member

If I had to choose I’d go for the 1700s – the world was perhaps a nicer place ?!?

If ever there was a rosey view of history! 😆

Marin
    Free Member

Your first answer is the right one. Try it for a few months and report back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What century/era has been the best for being homeless…’ is closed to new replies.