Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What bike tools do you have that you just don’t use anymore?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Just been looking though the tool box and realised I have so much stuff that doesn’t get used anymore.

Campagnolo bottom bracket/headset/pedal spanner 3 piece set.
    Campagnolo cine spanners 4 off.
    Hope pressfit bottom bracket tool.
    Hope IS mount facing tool.
    Race Face and Park bottom bracket tools for ISIS/square taper
    Shimano chainring spanner
    Park pedal spanner {everything seems to be hex key now)
    Lezyne chain whip (replaced with Pedro’s vice grip)
    Hope BSA30 spanner (replaced with Abbey Tools socket).
    Shimano FC-M970 removal tool and preload tool.
    Park crank extractor.
    Shimano HG locking tool (replaced with Park 12mm version).
    Chris King 1,1/8 headset cup press adaptor.

And that’s far from an exhaustive list.

What have you got?

beaker

Park tool one inch headset spanner. Won’t get rid of it, I brought with my paper round money…

avdave2

Headset spanner and a third hand. Both bought in 1986 for my Rockhopper. I think everything else is still used

reluctantjumper

All of my tools get used or have a use on at least one of my bikes. Cone spanners, square taper chainset puller, pressfit BB press (works for headsets, all my bikes have threaded BB’s) and even the old 1″ headset spanner works on my cassette locking tool!

You can tell I tired to have a slimming down of the toolbox recently and failed, spectacularly.

Kuco

Park isis crank tool
    Park shimano crank tool
    Praxis BB tool
    Hope BB tool

I’ve long got rid of things like cone spanners and other tools I no longer use.

nickc

A cassette locking remover. Which is annoying because it’s not like i don’t need one, it’s just that my original one had quite shallow shoulders that don’t quite engage enough into a SRAM lockring, (but was fine for Shimano) so I’ve had to buy a new one.

curses.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think all my old tools have a use on my commuter or kids’ bikes, besides the rubbish ones that got superseded with better versions of the same thing, so without looking in the tool bag I’m going with:

Pamir Hypercracker
    C&C bottom bracket lockring spanner

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ll see your Pamir Hypercracker and raise you with a Suntour Cassette Cracker…

imnotverygood

I’ve got several thingamabobs and a wotsit. I’ve no idea what they are for, so there is no chance of them being used ever again.

footflaps

Park tool one inch headset spanner. Won’t get rid of it, I brought with my paper round money…
    Posted 1 hour ago

I did bin mine, but I recall they cost a small fortune, something like £20 in 1985…

dovebiker

I’ll raise your 1” headset spanner for a 1.25”/36mm headset one – for a 1991 Cannondale that I sold about 20 years ago.

I have 7 or 8 different BB tools, some of which were only used once and of which I only need 2 or 3 these days.

jim25

I dont use the ones that were stolen out of my van anymore.
    Theiving bastards

clubby

I would have added headset spanner to this list but only last week found it was a perfect fit for the top cap on my Fox 36’s.

Bottom bracket tools are the worst offenders in my collection. Not getting rid though as you never know when someone is going to rediscover the (last) next big thing.

BadlyWiredDog

I have an outlandishly expensive, Campag 11-speed chain tool from around 2009, which has a special thing for joining the Campag 11-speed chain of the time. I’ve used it maybe three times, ever and I can’t imagine that I’ll ever use it again given that I no longer use Campag chains on my road bike. I should maybe eBay the thing, but it’s very pretty and has some odd memories attached to it.

chakaping
    Free Member

It was awesome that Race Face adopted the ISIS BB tool (I think) for their Cinch direct mount chainrings. That bought my tool back from the dead for a while.

Shame Shimano had to invent their own new standard for the same function.

Yak

Most things get used I think. The only thing that springs to mind is the IS mount facing tool. Lovely bit of kit and satisfying to use, but nothing nowadays is IS and all the old stuff is done or I don’t have them any more.

chakaping
    Free Member

I would get shot of my cone spanners, but… you never know do you?

whyter

Cooltool – I think I’ve even got the neoprene pouch still, unless the mice have eaten it!

StirlingCrispin

So many:
    Lots of headset spanners
    Regina freewheel remover (7-speed, screw-on from 1995)
    Shimano freewheel remover
    Various single-speed freewheel removers
    Park Tools Third-hand tool for cantilever brakes
    My dad’s tool for old-skool bottom brackets. Probably dates from the 1920s, when my granddad’s brother bought his bike second-hand in Tottenham market. The bike was gifted to my dad for passing his 11-plus.

Still use-
    Square-taper bottom bracket tools and crank remover.

susepic

Octalink/Isis BB tool – bought it 4 weeks ago, removed old Octalink BB, and will never need to use again.

I still have one of those Raleigh multispanner jobs somewhere in the shed

Onzadog
    Free Member

Oh yes, ISIS tool – I take it back as I have Cinch chain rings.

fasthaggis

I have a ‘justincase-youneverknow-mightcomeinhandy’ toolbox.
    I….keep…..everything…… 🤣🤣🙃

tomhoward

M970 crank removal tool

zerocool

I keep all my tools, you never know when you need to modify an old tool to fix a new problem or need to fix someone’s old crappy bike.

Plus they build up a nice patina which makes them even more special.

Now old bike parts, I get shot of them much quicker without regrets. What’s the point of having old obsolete bike parts lying around that could be out there being used by others?

Olly
    Free Member

square taper BB tool, except ive found that the BB on my cargo bike could do with replacing, and has been in the bike 10+ years, so the tool i have isnt going to cut it. Do i spend the money on a 1/2″ drive one to fit on my massive breaker bar, just to do a single quarter turn that ill never need again (as i’ll copper grease a replacement, cause im not a chump)

bearGrease

I use my headset spanner for the kitchen tap now.

Pamir Hypercracker

Still got one in my Camelbak…..but I never wear my Camelbak any more.

bfw

M535 Lx spuds pedal service tool. Only works on these pedals from the mid 90’s… I needed it back then, it cost a lot and I knew I was wasting my money…

I have lots of other old tools but the funny thing is over the years I keep using the same items over and over years later on kids bikes for example Hope mini mono brake service items

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think all my old tools have a use on my commuter or kids’ bikes, besides the rubbish ones that got superseded with better versions of the same thing

Same, the only tool I don’t use (because it got stolen) is an On One ReetArd bottom bracket installation tool and even then I used bits of it to bodge something recently.

If anyone wants to give up an IS facing tool let me know, every frame I have is IS.

And for gods sake don’t bin tools, at least give them to the bike recyclers or a social workshop.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Similar, but I like to keep them as often a mate turns up with a problem and its a good feeling to be able to solve it.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Raceface square tapered bottom bracket tool plus top hat and cone spanners etc.

hatter

Having to work on the neighbourhood’s kids bikes means that my old cone spanners, headset spanners, loose bearing BB and square taper tools get plenty of use,

The tools that do tend to gather dust are the old facing/reaming ones, most decent frames come faced, you can’t face carbon and most headsets are integrated now so they’re very rarely needed.

Look cool hung up on the wall though, shows you’re ‘serious’

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What bike tools do you have that you just don’t use anymore?’ is closed to new replies.