Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What bike for a vertically challenged female?
  • stoat

I’m trying to sort out a xc/trail bike for my 5’1″ (she says petite) girlfriend…

The Merlin Malt 1 seems like good value, trouble is she seems to fall between the 13″ and 15″ sizes going by the geometry sheet. does anyone have any experiences of the malt sizing or frames for small females?

Equally does any one have any other recommendations or suitable bikes they are trying to sell? (if there is a 14″ “that blue” inbred frame/build out there….) Probably looking to spend about £400-500 tops.

Many thanks

Ewan
    Free Member

Tick. Mine is 4ft 10″! Any ideas?

coatesy
    Free Member

GT women’s range Avalanche 1.0 in S or XS sizing, some still available in 08 versions at slightly cheaper prices too.(2.0 if you’re wanting omething even cheaper.)

dropoff

Hi you could try this, it’s my wife’s and shes 5′ nothing.

Built up it can look like this

Biffer
    Free Member

Have a look out for some of the Konas – they do those in pretty small sizes and generally have good atand-over.

mboy
    Free Member

Stoat, if you’re looking at the Merlins (good choice for VFM), then DEFINITELY go with the 13″ version. The 15″ version is over 22″ on the TT, definitely way too long for a girlie of your missus’ height IMO.

Other than that, for the budget you’re quoting, check out all the usual big name brands like Specialized, Trek, Giant etc. as they all have WSD models these days, and the specific geometry often makes the difference required. Though a 13″ Merlin would be a good bet (she’d probably need a decent length seatpost though).

the-kid

Have a XS 13″ women-specific Gary Fisher Cake for sale 4″ travel XC full-sus (either frame or full bike)

davidj

2nd the Kona option. Mrs J is 5′ 1″ (just) and rides a 13″ kona. See silly comparisson with a giant Nicolai below.

At last weeks Gorrick Giants seemed popular for shorter women.

igm

So tempted to say Rothan – but I didn’t did I?

igm

Sorry

robdob
    Free Member

My wife has a 12.5″ GT but I’m not sure if they do that size anymore. She was recently VERY impressed with the specialized range of small ladies bikes. You may have to travel a bit to try out the right frame size though. One thing I learnt was not to be snobby about the components, just get the right fit even if you have to go for a lower spec, it’s more important.

CHB

13″ malt one would be great. My wife is 5’4″ and rides a 15″, but a 13″ would have suited her too.
    Basically any small frame with a slopeing toptube will be grand. So thats most bikes these days! My son has a 14″ on-one inbred that he happilly rode at the height of 4’10”.

stoat

Cheers guys, some good food for thought there. Think we’ll be heading into town this weekend to check out some of the big name offerings. Still liking the sound of the malt 1, but if something jumps up as fitting amazingly.

the-kid, just out of interest how much would you be looking at for the cake, frame or full build?

Davidj- that pic made me smile!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

My GF is 5’1 and rides a 15″ Rockhopper which fits pretty good if that helps at all?

chakaping
    Free Member

My wife is 5ft 1in.

Got her a 13in (XS) Giant XTC.

Still only just fits OK, so on no account buy a 15in Merlin!

Ed2001
    Free Member

Go for one of the women specific bikes
    Maybe
    gary fisher big sur wsd 13″ ( ordinary big sur great bike, nice kit too)
    Trek 8000 wsd small
    scott contessa scale xs or s
    I would also consider the weight of the bikes too which I would think will help if your only 5’1″

Ed2001
    Free Member

Sorry just realised you only want to spend £400 so ignore my suggestions or look to see if any come up s/h or push the boat out and treat her the big sur could be a cracker.

bikey
    Free Member

Stoat: I have a 16″ Rocky Mountain Element 70 for sale. Its a 4″ travel light weight FS bike. Only want £500 for it which is a bargain as frame retails for £1100.

I have pictures if you are interested?

Matt

rOcKeTdOg

Gary Fisher do down to 13.5″ this was £400 with hydraulics

hicksville
    Free Member

more custom but ventana

stoat

Had a butchers in the LBSs and as i suspected there were no tiny bikes to try out. Might pop over to glentress tomorrow to see how the ex-hire 14″ konas size up.

bikey; sadly I think that frame may be too big, guess I could try popping some baby-bio in her tea and see if she grows…

Thanks for all the ideas guys

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What bike for a vertically challenged female?’ is closed to new replies.