Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What armchair for…
  • righog
    Free Member

staring out of the window, snoozing, playing the guitar (badly), reading etc.

For a very, very long time I have fancied an Eames armchair and finally I have somewhere to put one, but here’s the rub, I have never actually sat in one, so are they any good is there anything better out there. I know they were built by several manufactures and I will end up with a reproduction anyway and they look to be around £400 – £500 for the ones I have seen.

like this one

So any advice ?

seavers
    Free Member

Spinemelter 2000

sas78

Don’t know if the repo is any good, but I have always wanted one!. Not sure what size you are but apparently they are quite small so if you, like me, are over six foot you might want to look at the XL version.

Be interested to see what else people suggest!

McHamish
    Free Member

I want one of those…I’ve seen them on Milan direct website.

I think I got the link from here years ago.

Once we’ve found a new house I think I’ll get one – although my wife thinks it’s hideous.

righog
    Free Member

Looks good 😀

seavers
    Free Member

Haha…yep that’s it!

spacecadett
    Free Member

The Eames chair isn’t ideal for playing guitar, badly or well. The arms get in the way. I think a Barcelona chair fits the bill nicely.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona_chair

seavers
    Free Member

Barcelona chair is a good call, you get could a chair and ottoman for your budget. I really like Days Forum and Knoll arm chairs but for guitar playing arms are probably going to get in the way.

Edit: If you fancy something different you could check out Etsy or if you are anywhere near Leeds Eclectic Chair. The latter is really hit and miss but worth keeping an eye on, they have some gems.

righog
    Free Member

For my occasional twiddling the lowish arms on the Eames would be fine.

From the Etsy site I have learnt what a queening chair is 😕 😀

some interesting stuff on Eclectic chair site but nowt to change my mind.

Eclectic Chair

PiknMix
    Free Member

I thought that the what potato masher was the lowest we could go. Clearly not!

righog
    Free Member

Well if you are not interested you can just stand up with your unmashed boiled potato’s.

MrNutt
    Free Member

the “Eames” and Barcelona chair are uncomfortable for long rests, no one that owns one will tell you this as they all like to secretly feel stupid. just get a lazy boy and knock the arm off.

seavers
    Free Member

Sounds like the Eames for you! The one you linked to looks nice, out of stock though and I would want to read some reviews when buying a reproduction of a +£3k chair. They might use crappy leather etc. Have you checked out Made.com ? They can have some interesting furniture.

some reviews!

http://www.milandirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2896?gclid=CN2ksdvZ-7oCFSMYwwod51gAKQ

righog
    Free Member

I knew there was a thread a while back, took a bit of finding.

STW Eames chair thread

Thanks Seevers I will read the reviews.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Why would I need to stand up? I can choose my own bloody armchair 😉

mightymule
    Free Member

From personal experience I can assure you that any chair will suffice for playing the guitar badly.

righog
    Free Member

Not sure you will see this but….Shibboleth, how has the one you bought been ? has it fell to bits ? is it comfortable ?

MrNutt
    Free Member

he won’t tell you, he’s a member of the Eames “say nothing” gang now!

righog
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What armchair for…’ is closed to new replies.