Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 227 total)
  • What are folk listed to musically at the moment?
  • willard

Got introduced to Red Fang the other week and they have rapidly become a staple of the pre-meeting playlist. “Arrows” and “Prehistoric Dog” are great for getting fired up.

I’ve also been listening to Spiritual Beggars and Kamchatka in advance of Per Wiborg’s new EP release.

hatter

Sun’s out today so it’s time for SKA!

But more often recently it’s been grim weatherwise so:

Mountain Caller: Chronicle 1: the Truthseeker
    Slomosa: S/T
    Elder: Gold and Silver Sessions

sam3000

Body Count – Manslaughter.

verses

Can’t go wrong with the Interrupters! Last gig I saw before lockdown 🙂

militantmandy
    Free Member

Got introduced to Red Fang the other week and they have rapidly become a staple of the pre-meeting playlist. “Arrows” and “Prehistoric Dog” are great for getting fired up.

I’ve also been listening to Spiritual Beggars and Kamchatka in advance of Per Wiborg’s new EP release.

Used to love Spiritual Beggars, but haven’t listened to them for years now. Have you heard of Grand Magus? They turned into Powermetal-by-numbers, but their first two albums, self titled and Monuments were great. You might like it.

citizenlee
    Free Member

@p7eaven I can’t stop listening to Crack Cloud after seeing your post! So good!

Completely different, but I’ll chuck this gem in for today…

zinaru
    Free Member

Always spinning loads – current mindblowers

Haino/O’Rourke/Ambarchi: Each side has a depth of 5 seconds A polka dot pattern in horizontal array A flickering that moves vertically

Jeffrey Alexander: Reyes

Rose Bolton: The Lost Clock

Owen Gardner: Sammusik

Endless Boogie: Life at WFMU

duncancallum

This week I have been listening to Dirty honey

chrisyork

The thrillseekers YouTube channel, any drum and bass and just spotify recommended. Oh and Louis Theroux’ podcasts

devbrix
    Free Member

Getting in touch with my feminine side whilst decorating the hall and Le Tigre (not sure why I missed them the first time around)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Dvne – Etemen Ænka
    Get the Blessing – Lope and Antilope
    Thomas Ankersmit – Perceptual Geography

frogstomp

I recently stumbled upon Polyphia and am now slightly hooked on just watching the videos over and over in awe!

CountZero

Heard the latest single from Dry Cleaning this morning, I like them very much, the vocalist has a very dry, spoken delivery which I really enjoy.

This is the previous single, ‘Scratchcard Lanyard’

By contrast I also heard this, and I wanted to rewind it and play it again and again, it’s just beautiful! It’s by Shannon Lay, who’s a member of Ty Seagal’s band, who Marc Riley is a huge fan of, and a complete contrast to her work with them as well.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Khruangbin – Mordechai
    Durand Jones& The Indications – American Love Call
    Curtis Harding – Face Your Fear

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Distillers – Coral Fang
    Knife Party
    Me First and the GimmeGimmes
    Wildhearts
    Hey!Hello!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

AAah, scrolled through the whole thread and see Polyphia just above, YES!

Latest things for me is G Jones.

Pasting some random item of his that’s probably not geoblocked.

Trap is weird, but this is amazingly exciting. Also love the fact it like synthwave but, yaknow, less retro.

CountZero

I’ve just discovered this young lady via a Guardian article that popped up on Flipboard, and I’m just blown away by her playing! I really want to get to see her live, the review is enough to whet my appetite, but after watching the video I went straight and downloaded both her albums. I know what I’ll be listening to when I get back from the pub tonight. 😎

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/may/29/gwenifer-raymond-islington-assembly-hall-live-review

sharkattack

I love how wild and unhinged this is

CheesybeanZ

Bit of a thread resurrection, one for the aging rockers –
    The Doobie Brothers
    The Captain and Me

I completely forgot how good this album is 🤘

frankconway

Gaslight Troubadors.
    Rhiannon Giddens.
    +1 for Gwenifer Raymond; absolutely stunning.

lunge

Andy Tomlinson’s weekly house mixes.

binners

Binnerette number one (17) has got me into Greta Van Fleet and I’m loving it. Got tickets for us for the Apollo in June

So as a young whippersnapper she’d never listened to Rush, so I introduced her to it and she’s now loving Exit Stage Left

On a completely different note, this new Anz Ninja Tune stuff is just perfect. It’s got an 90’s Janet Jackson vibe, which can only ever be a good thing

p7eaven
    Free Member

Alex Patterson – Connecting The Dots
    Nolan Potter’s Nightmare Band – Nightmare Forever
    Hiatus Kaiyote – Choose Your Weapon

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Quiet Houses

Very catchy indie/folk. Going to see them next week.

CountZero

The Doobie Brothers
    The Captain and Me

I think that’s the album of theirs that I first heard, great musicians and good songs.

What I’ll be listening to in a little while is a CD copy of Brian Eno and David Byrne’s ‘My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts’.

Nothing odd about that, except I’ve just got it from a bloke in Canada, and what sets it apart from my remastered CD, and my original vinyl copy, is one track.

It’s called ‘Qu’ran’, and it came in for criticism because it’s based around a recording of Algerian Muslims chanting ‘Qu’ran’, which upset a few people, and it had to be taken off, and I believe all copies had to be withdrawn and destroyed.

Oddly, though, the sample came from an album called ‘The Human Voice in the World of Islam’, on Tangent records, and there’s another sample used in track 3, ‘Regiment’, from the same album.

I guess it’s because of what they’re chanting, but whatever, I’m thrilled to finally get my hands on a copy, forty years after it was released!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

duncancallum

Wildhearts
    Sabbath
    Massive Wagons

joelowden

..My life in the Bush of Ghosts….Great call 😁

CountZero

Having listened to that, I’ve listened to Talk Talk ‘It’s My Life’ and now I’m listening to Talking Heads ‘Remain In Light’.
    The 80’s produced some outstanding music!

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Bit of a mixed bag this evening:

Black Roots
    Cult Of The Damned
    Vitriolic Response
    The Ex

CountZero

And to finish off the evening, well 1am, another from the 80’s, because I’m in that sort of mood, Dead Can Dance ’Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun’.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Last few days I are be mostly listening to….

Richard Ashcroft’s ‘Acoustic Hymns’

Laurie C’s Drum n Bass podcast on Spotify.

Goldie’s ‘Timeless’ on gold vinyl.

Now listening to FSOL on some random Qobuz playlist.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nothing specific and my Spotify is far too varied to list anyone specific.

I have got a festival booked next year though (y-not in Derbyshire, my local one), so currently going through bands I haven’t heard that are on the set list

Mister-P
    Free Member

Goldie’s ‘Timeless’ on gold vinyl.

Now that’s class.

I’ve tried the new Jon Hopkins album – Music for Psychedelic Therapy but can’t get into it. I’m a big fan of his work but haven’t been in the right mood for this one yet.

tjagain

Recently I have been on a funk kick.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

I have been listening to:

Manchester Orchestra (thanks to this thread for the suggestion)
    War on Drugs
    Courtney Barnett
    Shed Seven
    Adele’s new one (which wasnt very good)

sparksmcguff

Oh lots of good suggestions of things I’ve never heard.

For me it’s The Go Go’s: early ‘80s punk/ pop fronted by Belinda Carlisle.
    Also for that feeling of Gaelic sophistication Grand Blanc.

nicko74

I got myself to that there London for the first time in 3 years last weekend, and was in Spitalfields for the biweekly vinyl market. Far too easy to spend a lot of money very quickly, but was delighted to pick up (what the seller claims is) a first pressing of Prince Buster’s Fabulous Greatest Hits. Also collected my Al Green on green vinyl from Rough Trade that a family member’s been hanging onto for a while; so have been listening to both this week.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 227 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.