• This topic has 25 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What are fixies like for loooong rides??
  • DrP

Ok, so i’m happy blatting through the traffic on my way to and from work (4-10 miles each way), but looking to do the ‘asthma beach to beach’ ride next may, which is 2 days of circa 70miles each day.

Thinking of doing it on the fixie as its a)soo comfy (steel frame, carbon forks) and b)I’m a bit mad, me…..

Realistically, what are fixies like over proper long distances? Will I miss the ability to rest my pegs? Will it all end in tears and swollen knees…?

DrP

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Work of Satan.

You will burn for eternity in the fiery pit of Hell.

meehaja
    Free Member

ability to spin downhill is what’ll kill you. I did the great nottinghamshire bike ride this sumer on a fixie. Its not even particularly hilly, but there is no resting when fixed. It was awesome flying past all the weekend warriors on full carbon and TDF kit (especially as I’d grown a ridiculous handlebar moustache and was in my king of the mountains jersey) whilst going up hill, but a bit embarrassing when kids on BMX were flying past me on the downs.

IMHO put a free wheel on it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

good shorts/comfy saddle/chamois cream. maybe a slightly easier gear.

done the dunwich dynamo (125 miles) a couple of times fixed. dropped down to 68inches from 72 for a slightly easier time.

walking upstairs was a slow process for a day after the first one. second time no problem as i had done several centuries by then.

DrP

See you there elf 😉

DrP

DrP

It’s a flip flop hub, 16t either side (42:16) so pretty nice gear.

Think I’ll take spanners!

DrP

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(Waves)

😀

(Is a bit hot)

crazy-legs

good shorts/comfy saddle/chamois cream. maybe a slightly easier gear.

done the dunwich dynamo (125 miles) a couple of times fixed. dropped down to 68inches from 72 for a slightly easier time.

I’d have gone the other way TBH, higher gear. OK, I’ve only ever done the Dunwich on SS never fixed but I was on 81″ the first time and 78″ the second time, I think if I’d have gone fixed I’d have been tempted to stick with 81″ just for the downhills if nothing else.

OP, what’s the terrain like? For hilly stuff you’ll have to gear down for the uphills and just put up with spinning like an idiot on the way down but if it’s undulating/flattish, I’d go for a higher gear.

bassspine
    Free Member

There is a UK bloke who’s done round the world on a fixie, crossed the Nullarbor desert, done USA across and lengthways. He found it ok, except ISTR he found the netherlands headwinds a bit trying…

TheBrick
    Free Member

No problem if it’s comfy. I’ve done a few 200 + km ride without any excessive tiredness. Up until this year when I’ve done virtually no riding I was doing lots of 100 + km rides over the North downs area and never found it that tough apart from the odd super steep hill. (Lots of short sharp climbs if you don’t know the area). Plenty of people do Audax on fixed too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Extra info: I run a rear brake and personally find it helps on the descents when tried as you don’t have to worry about leg braking to slow you can let them go all limp.

flip
    Free Member

There is a UK bloke who’s done round the world on a fixie, crossed the Nullarbor desert, done USA across and lengthways. He found it ok, except ISTR he found the netherlands headwinds a bit trying…

He can do Nullabor, and struggle with Holland? I struggled in a car 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There is a UK bloke who’s done round the world on a fixie, crossed the Nullarbor desert, done USA across and lengthways.

That’s as maybe, but deviant behaviour like that is to be frowned upon, surely? Certainly not encouraged. Nutter. 😯

bassspine
    Free Member

I read the web site a fair while ago, my memory is a bit futzed.

It’s worth a read though. Whatever your feelings about fixed wheels, he’s done some epic rides.

convert

crossed the Nullarbor desert

To be fair provided he got the right gear it would make little difference there! Driving across it I got so bored I amused myself by using a luggage strap to tie off the wheel and a stick on the accelerator and finding out how many minutes I could get the car to go in a straight line without touching anything! Riding across must be purgatory but not for lack of gears.

Agree the downs rather than the ups will be your limiting factor. I rode a fixed for a couple of seasons for winter training (IM training so 6hr plus most Sundays) but switched back in the end as I found myself subconsciously missing out all the best, most scenic lumpy bits as it was too much like hard work. Never looked back since.

epicyclo

bassspine – Member
    There is a UK bloke who’s done round the world on a fixie

Thanks for that link.

DrP – you need butterfly nuts – saves carrying a spanner.

Check my back wheel to see what I mean.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Peeps regularly do audaxes fixed (i.e. 200k plus a pop), you just need to be slightly unhinged …

Edric64
    Free Member

just us a qr axle they work fine they only use nuts on the track to stop the wheel coming out if you get it opened in close combat

epicyclo

Edric 64 – Member
    just us a qr axle they work fine…

I find I can shift the wheel with a QR. Maybe it would work with a different make of QR but I wouldn’t feel safe relying on a QR.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with the fixie, it’ll be carrying all my camping gear that’ll break you! 😈

DrP

Butterfly nuts – they must be tiny. Plus, is it ethical to castrate a butterfly just for my amusement…….!

Not sure on the exact route/terrain yet, either.

Think I’ll get some local miles under my belt and see how it goes!

DrP

stever
    Free Member

The lack of opportunity to adjust downstairs is the biggest drawback with long rides 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve done 70/80 milers on mine and it’s ok, but get used to it first.

i geared down for a 100k a couple of years ago, 42-16 to 42-17. halfway round i had the wheel out and was changing it back to 16. the lower gear meant i couldn’t carry enough speed on the flat or downhills and climbing was not really an issue.

build up to do the distance and you’ll be fine.

don’t be tempted to spin silly cadences on the downs to keep up with gearies – this IMO leads to cramp later.

J0N
    Free Member

Riding fixed is fine, the flatter the terrain then the less of a task but it is definitely nice being able to free wheel on the downs. I found that my reluctance to drag my brake all the way down steep hills resulted in me controlling the speed with my pedalling (naturally) resulting in strained tendons at my ankle and shin. Granted some training may alleviate this but it was damn sore after about 20 miles. This was on some steep downs however that you would normally be doing about 40mph just rolling.

trio25
    Free Member

I have done 200km on my fixie and found it great. But it was flattish terrain, like others have said it is the downs that would stop me on a hillier route.

Sam

Feet up for the downhills and you’ll be fine 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What are fixies like for loooong rides??’ is closed to new replies.