Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What a time to be alive! Sausage roll content
  • binners

Greggs need to up their game

Having said that, I’d miss the steak bake chaser

I love the fact that they launched it in the vegan, organic, fair trade Republic of Mancunian 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

A mere 12 inches?

Pah!

No bigger than a child’s munchy box.

If you’re going to sell food by the inch, do it properly. It should be diameter, not length.

bikebouy
    Free Member

89yr Old banned from pub for bring in his own Sausage Roll..

#thinkoftheoldiescastoutintothecold

binners

Oh here he is! Coming on here, flaunting your munchy boxes again, eh?!

Mrs Binners has procured me said sausage roll. It’s not only the length, it also boasts an impressive girth.

I shall report back if it’s any good. I’ll post it on the chub club thread 🙂

jam-bo

Let me introduce you to the Sausage Roller

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh here he is! Coming on here, flaunting your munchy boxes again, eh?!

…said the man who came on here flaunting his Northern pastry products?

Pot, I proclaim thee black also!

binners

REGIONALIST!!!

You’re just stoking nationalist tensions, and fuelling jealousy of your superior local cuisine!

perchypanther
    Free Member

😆

It’s not even in the North.

codybrennan
    Free Member

You need to try the Bombay Sausage Rolls from Jim’s butchers in Law, South Lanarkshire.

I’m reluctant to let you know about this as its my secret right now*, but I can say that you’ve not lived until you taste them. Blissful things that take sausage rolls to the next level.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=butcher%20law%20south%20lanarkshire&oq=butcher+law+south+la&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.33i21k1j33i160k1l2.7888.10455.0.11925.9.9.0.0.0.0.141.852.3j5.8.0….0…1.1.64.psy-ab..1.8.850…0j0i22i30k1j0i13i5i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.uGE3FlGXCMc&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=55733505,-3865084,2421&tbm=lcl&rldimm=1089219012362653472&ved=0ahUKEwjj5v7x58XVAhWHZVAKHX50DbMQvS4ITTAA&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

*and all his other happy customers

onehundredthidiot

Nope sorry, Elliott’s in Newcastleton. two sausage rolls, two Scotch pies, Quick ride round the red route. Then home for belly buster.

Cougar

Is she three feet tall with Hobbit feet at the end of her arms?

brakes
    Free Member

disgusting.

bearnecessities

^ Sausage Troll.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

that’s nothing like a foot long. Looks more like 300 mill to me…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Can’t imagine the filth that goes into a sausage roll. Not only is it generally cheap sausage meat. It’s also hidden from inspection in a pastry. I imagine one a month the slaughter-man will scrape the walls of the abattoir with a spade, perhaps using a pressure washer to dislodge the seriously caked on matter… and shovel it into a bin-bag marked ‘sausage roll’.

Not being one of those hectoring self-righteous asschamps, I’d smash in that 12 incher after a few ales. Just sayin is all…

bearnecessities

^ Perfectly describing the mental, moral and emotional challenge of the sausage roll, except missing the enigmatic words “mechanically separated”.

At least it’s not subway trying to portray their crappy salad, salty shitty bread and reformed meats as some healthy saviour of you. For a fiver or whatever.

This is a quid of non-artisan, lardy, dirty sausage roll and isn’t ashamed of it.

More honest marketing like this please, and can I have a bottle of HP with mine?

tomhoward

Not being one of those hectoring self-righteous asschamps, I’d smash in that 12 incher after a few ales can of pop. Just sayin is all…

That.

survivor

Morrison’s sausage rolls……. Urgghhh. Yackkkk….

That is all…

tomd
    Free Member

Can’t imagine the filth that goes into a sausage roll. Not only is it generally cheap sausage meat. It’s also hidden from inspection in a pastry. I imagine one a month the slaughter-man will scrape the walls of the abattoir with a spade, perhaps using a pressure washer to dislodge the seriously caked on matter… and shovel it into a bin-bag marked ‘sausage roll’.

I’m sure there are places like that but I’ve been to the factory where Morrisons make their sausage rolls and I was actually pleasantly surprised. They also slaughter and process their own meat. One of the most surprising things was the old boy tipping drums of Black Sheep Ale into the mix for their Steak and Ale pie. You’d imagine if they were intent on scraping every eyelid and arsehole into the mix they’d also cut back on the expensive branded ale.

Greggs are running a tour of their Newcastle bakery for the IMechE regional branch soon, it’d be interesting to see! Binners – maybe one for you to infiltrate?

bruneep
    funkmasterp

the enigmatic words “mechanically separated”.

I too have whiled away many an hour reading these words on the labels of cheap, meat based goods. What do they mean? I need answers dammit.

Harry_the_Spider

What do they mean?

Pressure washed.

NZCol

My wife is a sausage roll connoisseur (no laughing at the back). She’s also an engineer and he made it her mission to get to that tour !

burko73

my local bakery, the bakehouse in Brockenhurst does a mean sausage roll with pork from the traditional butchers over the road. nothing pretentious, just a good value tasty sausage roll made with lovely meat. mmm.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had one of those Morrisons things today.
    Not good, just some cheap slightly sausage flavoured stuff inside an air pocket that was meant to be pastry.

cheers_drive

Don’t mind Greggs but the sausage rolls from our local pork butcher’s are amazing and you can tell it’s meat not slurry. Not artisan expensive either.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I don’t make them very often but my other half says they are great. I use 97% sausages minus the skins, grated white onion and finely chopped black pudding for the filling with pepper and a little fresh sage. I wrap it in pancetta (think beef wellington) and the pastry is Delia’s easy flaky pastry (made with frozen butter).
    His reported score 9/10 this morning.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What a time to be alive! Sausage roll content’ is closed to new replies.