Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What 140/150 travel Carbon dream machine?
  • MadPierre

Thinking of replacing my Hustler with something similar but a bit lighter/newer…..?

I reckon I’m gonna try this carbon malarkey which is all the rage at the minute. So what should be on the list for consideration?

My top two to try at the minute are:

Ghost AMR Lector Plus (waiting for them to come in to the country so I can have a gander)
    Lapierre Zesty (mate has a 714 so I can have a go on that)

Had a look at an Ibis but wasn’t impressed with the lack of tyre room and it’s bloody expensive for just a frame.

Treks just don’t seem value for money compared to the Ghost/Lapierre.

Anything else should be on the list? Budget not too much of a problem due to redundancy.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Happy Zesty 714 owner here. Cost me a fortune in helicopter tape but other than that I haven’t been able to fault it.

Ibis Mojo has a 69 degreee head angle which is too steep for my taste.

Wookster

S works enduro mate!!!

neninja
    Free Member

Scott Genius LT, Yeti ASR-5 carbon (ok it’s almost 140) or Blur LT carbon?

Personally I’d get another aluminium Nicolai – it might sacrifice a pound to a carbon bike but aluminium is still a great material for f/s frames.

ojom
    Free Member

Had a look at an Ibis but wasn’t impressed with the lack of tyre room and it’s bloody expensive for just a frame.

You reckon?

They are one of the least expensive carbon frames on the market.

MadPierre

Scott Genius = too much travel (it has more than my DH bike!)

The Yeti is a possibility – a friend has one of those but its too small for me to try proper. He does say he can feel the rear end flexing though compared to his old alu version.

Does the Blur still have daft (half metric/half imperial) bespoke pivot bearing sizes like the original Blurs? Or have they changed that?

neninja
    Free Member

Sorry I meant the standard Genius – 120/150 Talas up front, 150/95mm rear travel.

A mate has one and loves it.

chakaping
    Free Member

I would also consider the Cube Stereo HPC. Very good value compared to competitors, few models to choose from and if it rides anything like the Fritzz it’ll be fast and great fun.

I’ve been mooting a lightweight carbon 5incher myself and it’d be the Cube or Zesty for me.

I don’t like the press-fit BB on the Zesty though and if paying that much money I’d want it to be just right.

heihei

Mojo HD – slacker than the regular one, and you can fit an Angleset to slacken it further.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

There’s a 140mm HD, which would be my choice. The standard HD is 160mm.

MadPierre

Hmmm… wasn’t aware of the HD 140. that could make me re-think on Ibis.

I assume it has a bit more room tyre wise than the SL I looked at? And as they’ve changed the steerer tube vs an SL too does that mean “normal” (I use that very loosely in this day and age!) headsets are in too?

They were the main things that put me off the SL

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that what it is is a Mojo HD 160 with a different DW link that reduces the travel to 140, either one link or both. Actually, if I was getting it, I’d get it with both sets of links if possible, give yourself a few options.

druidh
    Free Member

The HD140 is an HD with a different shock and shock mounts (limbo chips).

vinnyeh

I’m fairly sure that what it is is a Mojo HD 160 with a different DW link that reduces the travel to 140, either one link or both.

It’s a different link at at that top (inexpensive) and a different (length and stroke) shock.
    I reckon it’ll take a 2.5 tire.
    Taper headset- you’d probably have to mix and match top and bottom cups.
    Costs more than the Mojo SL too, so if you were struggling to accept the price of that…

neil853
    Free Member

I like my blur ltc, pedals really well and feel like a little dh bike when you get seat down and head downhill

argyle
    Free Member

why complain about the price of said ‘dream machines’ then follow up with ‘budget not a problem’?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Blur LT Carbon all the way. The ordinary version is IMO the best all round bike available – great climber but will still take 4-5ft drops to flat (so I’m told). Doesn’t get much mag coverage because Santa Cruz don’t spend enough on advertising, but have a look at the long term tests.

The carbon version is stiffer and lighter than the ally version, has no fork length restriction and in the flesh just looks the dogs. An LTc with a Fox 36 Talas and XT kit weighs in at under 29 lbs

MadPierre

so if you were struggling to accept the price of that…

that wasn’t the main issue and like I said money whilst not exactly irrelevant wasn’t my main issue when I checked out a mojo SL a while ago.

Guess one problem with it is getting a look at one / actually getting one? Where did you get yours?

MadPierre

why complain about the price of said ‘dream machines’ then follow up with ‘budget not a problem’?

It’s not a problem but I still want best value for whatever budget gets spent so e.g. comparing a Trek to a Lapierre the Trek looses on value…

MadPierre

Anyone know the answer to my earlier question about whether the Blur still has daft pivot bearing sizes?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

MP, don’t know about the bearing sizes, but if the LT2 is completely different to the LT1 which you may be thinking of. Anyhow, shouldn’t be a problem because the bearings are guaranteed for life, so if you ever need to change them they won’t cost you anything anyway.

Just had the top bearings on mine replaced as they have actually failed after 3 years of Scottish use, but I’ve only paid for the labour, not the parts.

MadPierre

Cheers Captain all good info.

I rekon the HD 140 and Blur LT are now added to the list…

they also have the added advantage of being availble frame only which the Lapierre and Ghost are not. So I can use some existing bits off the Hustler (e.g. not very old Revs)

Decisions decisions

vinnyeh

Guess one problem with it is getting a look at one / actually getting one? Where did you get yours?

The Bike Chain, I think they’ve a few in stock. I’m in the south east though, if you’re handy, you’re welcome to a look.

MadPierre

Cheers vinnyeh. I’m in the midlands so thanks very much for the offer but logistics probably mean its a no. Got any pictures to tempt me further?

I’ve emailed the bike chain via their web site and also rung rutland Water (local to me) to enquire about availability…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Vinneyh. Seriously considering the mojo hd too and would be cool to check one out (is yours the 140 or the 160?) I’m in Newbury (sort of south central.) If you’re near by and up for showing off the mojo then let me know.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What 140/150 travel Carbon dream machine?’ is closed to new replies.